Birthday meal: liver and onions?

What I remember about Luby's is that there was a TERRIBLE food poisoning incident at one of them, I think in the mid or late 1980's. I'm a little hazy about the details but I think several people died. Anyway, my ex would not set foot inside a Luby's because of that, fearing their food handling procedures, so I have never been to one.

I kept telling him that Texas really was part of the United States, and had restaurant health inspections and everything.... ;)

Sure it was food poisoning? Wasn't lead poisoning?
Luby's can't catch a PR break....
Luby's massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sure it was food poisoning? Wasn't lead poisoning?
Luby's can't catch a PR break....
Luby's massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That happened too!! But also there was a food poisoning incident that bothered my ex even more, honest! :2funny: It is possible that only two or three people died in the food poisoning but that was enough for him. Besides, we moved there in 1984 and I never got to eat at a Luby's even once. It had to be somewhere between 1984-1988 or so.

That's the trouble with talking about a tragedy associated with a restaurant, that happened years BEFORE a much bigger and nationally publicized tragedy as in this case. It causes immediate erasal of everyone's memory of the prior, smaller tragedy. :)

Believe me, my ex was full of the "I told you so!"s after the massacre at Luby's. "See? If I hadn't put my foot down we might have been eating there during the massacre!"

I think the food poisoning was associated with fried chicken.

Sheesh - between my slow hunt n' pecking and the slow Wild Blue interweb connection i sure do look derivative as well as repetitive.

Liver and onions is one of those things that goes in and out of fashion; I’d pick my health guru on that issue alone. Freebird, you are awful to describe that family table, I still remember those gobs of liver with strings attached, going from my mouth to Saint Lucky, the dog’s mouth. I can still taste it and feel the texture. It might depend on not overcooking it, mom made sure it was thoroughly cooked.:yuk:

>:D

I knew there had to be someone out there who came up with the same trick. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I did confess the "L&O fake chew, cough, quickly to the dog" trick to my Mom when I was an adult, in one of those silly "Did you ever know that I did x or y or z ?" discussions with her. I had her groaning and laughing at the harmless plots I schemed up and got away with when I was younger.

I know without a doubt I will not live to be 113.
Pass the wine and dark chocolate please....:smitten:

.... now as much as i like liver and onions... give me a nice cabernet.. shiraz.. chianti.... pinot noir... malbec... (you get the point) and a piece of a nice really dark chocolate... and hey... I am with bbbamI or my beautiful DW...

how can I lose...:rolleyes::angel:

Liver & onions is one of my favorite dishes. DW will never fix it in the house but we love it at restaurants. Mostly the mom and pop places. Never see it at up-scale places. When I was a kid during WWII, Mom would send me to the local store for "veal" liver (calf's liver). It was more tender but the grocer generally saved it for the older people. Thinking back it might have been rationed or you needed special stamps to get it. You were lucky to get veal liver and most of the time it was just plain beef liver. Still great with the grilled onions, mashed potatoes and gravy. Yum, yum!!

I love liver and onions, or fried chicken livers, or grilled liver kebobs. My Mom served one of these weekly, and we all looked forward to it.

I used to eat liver and onions at a joint in Everett I think named Sportsmen's Cafe. Since I moved south I haven't found a replacement, so I cook it from time to time. Generally I have to go to a Mexican Carniceria to buy it; it seems that all the Anglos who eat liver are gradually being composted or cremated.

ha

YEAH, ha! We are on the same wavelength.

Long ago, KFC in Baton Rouge used to sell chicken livers. Great memories.

I use chicken livers in my boudin blanc. Tried the pork liver first, per the classic recipe, but like the chicken livers better. Easier to find, too.

Did the dog live to 113 in dog years?:) My mom served it to our family

dog.gif

cha.gif

I too love L&O. But have cut it down to once a year treat for health reasons ... to much organ meat is not good for you, I hear.

I also love fried chicken livers and fried chicken gizzards ... fry up the hearts too while your at it. Don't eat these often either ... see reason number 1

Funny I just came across this post today. While in the store, I came across some pig kidneys and DW bought them and cooked them up today ... yum yum
At the same store, I found some goat heart/kidney/lung. DW said that I could only have one meal of organ meats ... and to choose. so piggy kidneys it was .

I like liver and I used to order liver & onions at greasy spoons (I never could cook it right myself), but now with all the hormone injections into cattle and corn/soy being fed, I feel like all the bad stuff is concentrated in the organs, so I haven't had liver in a long time. Liver is supposed to have a very high nutritional value (tons of vitamin A and B's I think) but nowadays you hear it's too high in cholesterol, so who knows. Just like butter, organ meat may become a good thing soon...

>:D

I knew there had to be someone out there who came up with the same trick. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I did confess the "L&O fake chew, cough, quickly to the dog" trick to my Mom when I was an adult, in one of those silly "Did you ever know that I did x or y or z ?" discussions with her. I had her groaning and laughing at the harmless plots I schemed up and got away with when I was younger.

I don't like liver or onions (let alone together). Parents liked it. I simply refused to eat it.
"You won't get anything else to eat." 'Fine.'
"You won't get dessert." 'Fine.'

Lightly floured chicken livers in a buttered cast iron skillet and put some chopped onion and big dollop of butter, caramelize the bottom, turn and repeat.

Grandmother is 91 yo and ate that all her life, looks like 100 is possible. Grandfather hated it, he died at 90, go figure.

my 90yo dad lives with my wife and me. fwiw he will fix himself liver and onions with gravy and mashed potatoes for breakfest probably twice a week. we laugh when he says his mother told him he wold live to 110 and he says he never called his mother a lyer.

The Pappas brothers who own some of the very best restaurants in Texas and other States? Even their worst restaurants are better than anyone else's. It's hard to believe those conscientious Greeks would allow one of their properties to crash and burn...however, with the economy--and probably overload of businesses--it happens.
I left in 2003. Can't remember if I had liver and onions there that year, but last time I had them at Luby's I couldn't see any difference.
If/when I ever get back to Houston I'll make a point to try their liver and onions. If they've slipped in quality I'll cry in my onions. They were the best.

Is there anyone who eats at Luby's on this board from Houston I wonder? It would be great to get an opinion from someone who eats at a Houston Luby's. I'm really grasping here ' cause they did have the best liver and onions and I'd love to have them again.

Wahoo, I'm hoping it's just in your area Luby's has slipped...I want my liver and onions! Whaaaaaaa!

I am easily swayed, Orchidflower. If I ever get to Houston, I will try to get to Luby's for the liver and onions. I had friends from Houston staying with me recently and might visit them in the New Year. Well, actually, they live in Cypress which I understand is a suburb of Houston.

Regarding Luby's killing people: I met a 20 year employee of Luby's at a real estate course. She was a food preparer and server. She told me that it was a STRICT rule of Luby's that the food be out only 2 hours. I guess the help takes what they want, and then the rest goes to the Mission for the homeless.
I was in Houston at time of this "poisoning" and I don't remember hearing or reading anything about that. The nut crashing into the glass window at Luby's in Waco with his truck and shooting people, yes, but not any food poisoning that killed anyone or even hurt anyone?
However, I can say I never once got sick on anything at Luby's. Just great liver and onions.

Regarding Luby's killing people: I met a 20 year employee of Luby's at a real estate course. She was a food preparer and server. She told me that it was a STRICT rule of Luby's that the food be out only 2 hours. I guess the help takes what they want, and then the rest goes to the Mission for the homeless.
When it says Luby's Luby's Luby's on the label label label....

Back
Top Bottom