Happy New Year!

OK, it's New Year's now, here in New Orleans. The fireworks are going nuts outside!

Happy New Year! :clap: 2013 is going to be SO great. :D

Oh no! Now I'll have to remember to put the correct year on my checks! :ROFLMAO:

(Working on my 3rd glass of Dom and I am hi-larious.)

Happy New Year from my home! I stood in my front lawn and listened to everyone else go crazy. I think I am the wild one on my block as I didn't see a sign of anyone else on the street.

Is it wrong to make a mimosa with Dom Perignon?

Finally left the last of the stragglers by the dying embers of the backyard bonfire at 2am and glad to call it a night. Lots of fun with a handful of good friends and looking forward to the new year!
Shot fireworks, the .22, the potato cannon, and fire hooped! Plus rode the mini-bike around a few times.
We had burgers, chili, beers, and a friend's special pinto bean recipe. Will be up not-too-early to prepare the southern meal of collards, cornbread, field peas and rice, plus some pork. Hope we have a lot of folks, as I have three giant bunches of collards!

Will be up not-too-early to prepare the southern meal of collards, cornbread, field peas and rice, plus some pork. Hope we have a lot of folks, as I have three giant bunches of collards!

Yep, we have always done the same. Suppose to bring you luck for the new year. ;) I don't have collards but have everything else. My mom has always prepared this in the past but it will be up to me this year. Wish me luck.:ermm:

Went to annual party for mostly "seniors" last night. Party over by 10:30. Today we'll have another group of friends at our place for the traditional pork, cornbread, blackened peas and greens. We will watch lots of football of course.

Happy New Years! (BTW, did we fall over the fiscal cliff?)

Went to bed last night at 10. At midnight heard a few gunshots turned to DW wished her a Happy New Year and fell back to sleep.
This morning is the excitement. Ran my tax numbers and every retirement calculator I could find - May-July 2014 timeframe for FIRE looks fairly solid.

I have a cold so did not do much. Was awake at midnite and sent texts to a few friends and relatives. I had a three or four hour nap before 12:00 and had seen some of the same people throughout the day but spent most of the day resting and may do the same today although I feel better I am not completely over it. Had a good year overall. Will have to try to post here more often but have been really busy doing other things. Have a GREAT New Year.

Son and Grandaughter Riley (3) here for the holidays. Blessed and happy and thankful. It doesn't get any better than this.

Last edited:
Happy New Year everyone.

We went to a NYE party/open house in the neighborhood with about 20 people, and then out for late dinner at a favorite local restaurant. Neither one of us made it to midnight, haven't in many years.

And today is our 33rd anniversary.

Congratulations, Midpack. Wishing you and your bride many more.

Is it wrong to make a mimosa with Dom Perignon?
Martha Stewart never covers the important topics, does she?

Will be up not-too-early to prepare the southern meal of collards, cornbread, field peas and rice, plus some pork. Hope we have a lot of folks, as I have three giant bunches of collards!
This sounds suspiciously like the ancient Southern tradition of getting rid of leftovers that nobody wanted to eat on the first try...

I'm told the black-eyed peas are for “coins”, the collard greens are for “folding money”, the pork and cornbread are to remember to be “humble”. Everything else is extra and preference (peach upsidedown cake?).

A nice tradition I was unaware of until I was almost 40 (dumb Yankee) and spent a wonderful NYE with an Aunt & Uncle on Lake Murray in SC. They were insistent about exactly what we ate, it was fun!

Last edited:
We fired off the fireworks early last night because they were predicting rain. We had a very impressive display. DW selects and buys the fireworks. DS lights them. Sure enough the steady rain began before midnight and has continued all day today. We did not light fireworks for Independence Day because of the drought, so we had to make up for lost time.

DW prepared the traditional blackeyed peas, hog jowl, sweet potato casserole, fruit salad, cabbage, and corn sticks. My plan was to gather collards, mustard greens, and turnips from the garden, but the steady rain discouraged me.

Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom