What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Installed that $15 new lawn mower carburetor from Amazon. I decided that while I could probably fix the old one by simply drilling out the jet, it's a pain to get to it so I took the path of least resistance. The mower started right up and runs fine. I left a glowing 5-star review on Amazon for it.

Years ago I had an issue with the carbs on an old motorcycle that went unused for some time without proper prep of draining the gas or using Stabil, etc. The jets and other innards had gotten "varnished" to the point the size was off and adversely affected the mixture. I was able to clean them up using an ultrasonic cleaner. Not sure if you have one or are aware, but it might be useful for future reference. :)

Wandered up and down Broadway in Saratoga Springs, NY on a fine sunny day. I lived on this very street 42 years ago. Back then, it was a gritty, post industrial, somewhat worn down town. There were fights in the street in front of my apartment after the bars closed at 2 am. Now, it is filled with upscale shops selling $300 shirts to already well dressed tourists, as well as upscale honey, tea and other comestibles. I guess that's progress.

I started with a mile and a half warmup on the treadmill, then we took the dogs to Nisqually State Park. It is ~20 minutes away, and is a nice hike if you have some boots and can take a little mud.
We had to carry the dogs across the worst of it. I got in 4.3 more miles and 350 of elevation.
image000002-jpg-1.jpg

Filed my taxes today and did a first cut at estimating my ‘24 liability.

Gravel road bicycle race today. Although distance wasn’t all that much, a little over 40 miles, the race course had over 5k feet of elevation gain. Finished mid-pack. Not bad for a 60 y.o. hack.

This was the inaugural shakedown race of my new BTD gravel race bike for the season. Sweet ride and will be even better after a few minor adjustments to make it fit me a little better.

Installed that $15 new lawn mower carburetor from Amazon. I decided that while I could probably fix the old one by simply drilling out the jet, it's a pain to get to it so I took the path of least resistance. The mower started right up and runs fine. I left a glowing 5-star review on Amazon for it.

I just replaced the carburetor on my Honda mini tiller/cultivator FG110. My fault, I put it away last year without draining the fuel. Took it apart and blew out the carb and it started but wouldn't throttle up. I didn't feel like taking apart the carb itself and ordered a Honda replacement on Amazon $42 and swapped it in and it runs like new. I left the clogged up one on my shop bench and will get around to taking it apart and cleaning it out.

I use expensive TruFuel, too, so I'm surprised it gummed up over the winter. Anyway, lesson learned.

Attachments

• carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 3
DW was sick today, so I was DD’s coach during the birth of our first grandchild! It was amazing!

How wonderful, what a memory to have forever.
Congratulations !!

Gravel road bicycle race today. Although distance wasn’t all that much, a little over 40 miles, the race course had over 5k feet of elevation gain. Finished mid-pack. Not bad for a 60 y.o. hack.

This was the inaugural shakedown race of my new BTD gravel race bike for the season. Sweet ride and will be even better after a few minor adjustments to make it fit me a little better.

Good work!:cool:

Day 2 of cleaning the garage and the sheds. Also taking the patio furniture out of storage and setting up.

Put battery wjich was on trickle charge in the garage all winter, in lawnmower. One squirt of starter fluid and it fired right up. Cut some grass.

Installed a New Garage door opener to replace our 23-year-old Chanin driven Chamberlain. The old one was getting noisy but still worked fine. I like to anticipate failures and a new Belt Driven Genie only cost $170 on sale with a battery backup and 3 remotes. I double whether it will last as long but we will see.

They charge over a grand to do it here including the opener. I think I saved a bundle. It did take me all day though as I pottered about like us old men do.

Beautiful sunny morning. Time in the yard with the pup and a good cup of coffee.

4" rainstorm last night with associated thunder and a light show. Walked the dog this morning and it's so refreshing outside.

Ausable Chasm is worth a visit. .....

Thanks for this great recommendation. We went yesterday and loved it. Spent a little over 2 hours hiking the trails and taking pictures.

Attachments

• ausable chasm 1.jpg
    ausable chasm 1.jpg
    600.2 KB · Views: 10
  • ausable chasm 2.jpg
    ausable chasm 2.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 6
Started the project of filling in the concrete cracks on the garage entrance. I used a DeWalt tuck point blade on the angle grinder (yes I used a respirator and eye protection) to create great clouds of concrete dust, then vacuumed everything out of the enlarged cracks, and filled them with concrete epoxy. It was impressive how far the stuff went, I bought way too much so I may return an unopened box. There are still a few left, but my back is killing me and a Percocet isn't helping much.

But I'm very happy with the results. DW is not happy about the dust on her car though. So after the rain forecast tomorrow I'll take it to the car wash for her. My truck could use washing too.

I just replaced the carburetor on my Honda mini tiller/cultivator FG110. My fault, I put it away last year without draining the fuel. I left the clogged up one on my shop bench and will get around to taking it apart and cleaning it out.

I use expensive TruFuel, too, so I'm surprised it gummed up over the winter. Anyway, lesson learned.

That stuff is not as good as you think.

Played 18 holes of golf today at the Carlton Woods course in The Woodlands, Texas. This is the course where the LPGA is holding their major tournament next week. It was pretty much set up for the event, which is televised.

Paying 18 holes again tomorrow in a charity benefit tournament.

I'll be horizontal Saturday, for sure.

Mowed the "front forty" and will do the back tomorrow. With all the rain we've been having and the spring (and last fall) fertilizer I put down the lawn is doing great.

Celebrated the end of the 2023 tax filing season for myself, a relative, and various family businesses. All 2023 tax returns have been filed and all 2023 federal & state taxes (and 2024 Q1 estimated taxes) have been paid. The ball is now in the gov't's court: lob the ball back to me or don't - this ugly task is off my plate for the time being. :D

DS and DGS stopped by early after attending a church group. They are coming back tonight and we are all going out for sushi dinner.
My plan today is to go for a walk, read more of my book, do some housework.

Replaced a failing brake caliper on the Land Rover LR3 on Thursday. Gonna need to replace the brake fluid in the next few days. Wire brushed the rust off, and repainted the boat trailer spare and had Walmart install a new tire. Played Pickleball. I feel a motorcycle ride coming on for later today.

This week we were back at the oyster facility. Deep stuff goes in first. These pipes were for cast-in-place catchbasins for the rinse down process. They were just deep enough to require shoring.
PXL-20240409-192015046.jpg

I did some fancy footwork and straddled the box to reach one of the more difficult locations.
PXL-20240409-183348500.jpg

We got that in and backfilled, then dug in the sanitary lines for a few bathrooms.
Those big holes to the right are excavated for pouring the floor of the catchbasins.
PXL-20240412-220827016-1.jpg

Last we doubled back to the big pipe across the end of the pools. We had left off here:
PXL-20240322-170723955.jpg

They had the pool poured on Wednesday and stripped on Friday.
The wall form work hid my work area, they did not make it easy. I did all the work standing up crouched out the window and still could not see it all.
IMG-2109-jpg.jpg

Here I'm gently going to pull the glued pipe into the long bell. It stopped going in by human effort but we pre-rigged it and were ready to do so. The glue sets too fast to do otherwise.
PXL-20240412-212127558.jpg

I buried it with several tons of pea gravel and crushed rock, and gently compacted it. The site contractor can take if from here.
PXL-20240412-220526201.jpg

That concluded my 50 hours for the month of April!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom