Happy Pi Day

veremchuka

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
irradiated - too close to the nuclear furnace
th

Brings back a memory of college days, when the nonsense contest for the "brothers" during hazing days, was to pit memory masters freshmen from each fraternity against each other... how many correct digits in a row?

Let no post go unpunished...:cool:

I thought it was next year.....

Celebration is scheduled for 1:59 pm this afternoon!
Isn't that 1:59:26535897759574749487474494754636383040585757483493473748474674837376384746738389474849475854976596706079787007858569058696709
... PM ?

Please do not arrive early.

P.S. I was wondering why I was feeling a little irrational today.

Today is the day that MIT advises prospective students on whether they are accepted for the next school year.......at 3:28pm.

My local coffee hangout is offering a piece of its gourmet pie for $3.14 to anybody who can give them the first five digits of Pi. :)

Brings back a memory of college days, when the nonsense contest for the "brothers" during hazing days, was to pit memory masters freshmen from each fraternity against each other... how many correct digits in a row?

Let no post go unpunished...:cool:

We had enough problems just getting the pledges to learn the greek alphabet and being able to recite it back........

For the engineers and scientists, happy Pi day wishes :rolleyes:

Suppose one has the need or urge to know what the millionth digit of Pi is. Does any of you know how to find out?

It's easy if you have Mathematica installed on your PC!

There is no Pi Day for our friends in Europe, because it's 14/3 there, not 3/14.

But they can celebrate Pi Approximation Day on July 22....

Well, then perhaps someone on this forum also knows whether "pi to the e" ( pi^e ) is transcendental or not. Of course, "e to the pi" (e^pi) has already been proven to be transcendental.

If you can submit your proof to settle this century old mystery, you will be inducted to the Hall of Fame of mathematicians.

Well, then perhaps someone on this forum also knows whether "pi to the e" ( pi^e ) is transcendental or not. Of course, "e to the pi" (e^pi) has already been proven to be transcendental.
I had to look up what a transcendental number was. And it does not have anything to do with teeth.

Now I'm curious to know NW-Bound about that "Of course" you added. Do you actually get into this stuff? I don't think I've ever come across the need for pi^e nor transcendental numbers.

Now pi is a useful thing.

Now when I see Euler's formula in this form it brings back distant memories:
e^ix = cos(x) + i*sin(x)

That millionth digit is a "1" according to Mathematica.

I memorized pi to 203 decimal places back in junior / senior high school. I wanted to set the world record and at that time the record for memorizing pi was only 1000 decimal places or so. Easily beatable. Then someone memorized it to over 10,000 decimal places and I gave up.

I believe Mathematica uses the Chudnovsky algorithm to compute pi. In fact, I believe most "pi compute records" use the Chudnovsky algorithm. It was developed by the Chudnovsky brothers, two Russian (Ukrainian) mathematicians living in the US. In the early 1990's they set a world record when they computed pi out to 2 billion decimal places. They used a homemade supercomputer in their apartment. I read a New Yorker article titled The Mountains of PI about the two brothers in the early 1990's. Two brilliant men.

A year or two later I was involved in a project that had me computing what were then very large synthetic scientific datasets. Out of the blue I received a request from the Chudnovsky brothers asking if I could send them some of the data. They were interested in exploring numerical patterns in semi-random datasets. I sent them the data along with a note telling them how I once wanted to set the record for memorizing pi and how I read about them in the New Yorker.

Somehow the brothers found out that I was attending the Supercomputing 94 conference in Washington DC that year, and they drove down from their NYC home to meet me. They were two of the most fascinating people I have ever met. I felt incredibly nervous speaking with them because they were so brilliant. But they were very gracious too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom