Happiness

I agree and being content with about what you have and not comparing to others. I know a few poor people/families and they are the happiest people I know. I like to be around them because they are full of joy and a love for life.

Last edited:
"And the thing that I call living is just being satisfied With knowing I've got no one left to blame."

~ from "Carefree Highway" by Gordon Lightfoot

I'm grateful for what I have, some money, some things, some health, some freedoms, etc. But I'd characterize it more as reasonably content. (knowing there's not much I can do about it anyway) I have experienced brief moments of happiness in my life (no not that) so I know what it is when I see it.

Last edited:
I agree and being content with about what you have and not comparing to others. I know a few poor people/families and they are the happiest people I know. I like to be around them because they are full of joy and a love for life.

+1

Being happy doesn't mean you have it all. It means you're grateful for all you have.
If you have good health, that should take you a long way. It's not just about how much money and possessions you have.

Being happy with what you have gets you there, but we're not wired to make that easy.

Here's a trick from the ancient school of stoicism: negative visualization. It only takes a few seconds and is amazingly effective. But you need to make it a habit.

You picture loosing something or (gasp) someone you currently have. You spend a few seconds thinking about the details of your life without that something. Don't linger on it or "worry about loosing it", just imagine life without it. Clearly. Ok, you found something or someone? Do it now....

Ok, done. Go on with your life. The next time you encounter that thing in your life, you are going to be able appreciate it more without as much effort. That access to the brighter glow is worth getting into the habit of negative visualization.

Being happy with what you have gets you there, but we're not wired to make that easy.

Here's a trick from the ancient school of stoicism: negative visualization. It only takes a few seconds and is amazingly effective. But you need to make it a habit.

You picture loosing something or (gasp) someone you currently have. You spend a few seconds thinking about the details of your life without that something. Don't linger on it or "worry about loosing it", just imagine life without it. Clearly. Ok, you found something or someone? Do it now....

Ok, done. Go on with your life. The next time you encounter that thing in your life, you are going to be able appreciate it more without as much effort. That access to the brighter glow is worth getting into the habit of negative visualization.

I didn't realize negative visualization was from the stoics. I do it all the time. It can make you sad, but yes appreciate what you have. For example, when I take a walk and listen to the birds, I think what if they weren't there anymore? Then again, I might think what if we didn't have cars? I'm not sure how that makes me feel but I picture a bunch of bikes.

I didn't realize negative visualization was from the stoics. I do it all the time. It can make you sad, but yes appreciate what you have. For example, when I take a walk and listen to the birds, I think what if they weren't there anymore? Then again, I might think what if we didn't have cars? I'm not sure how that makes me feel but I picture a bunch of bikes.

I do it too. When my doggo wakes me up in the middle of the night, I think that there will be a time when she won't be there - and I pat her gently and put on my coat.

I do it too. When my doggo wakes me up in the middle of the night, I think that there will be a time when she won't be there - and I pat her gently and put on my coat.

I like that Marie, also when my little 4 legged girl comes wanting to go out in rain like it is doing right now here, I remember how lonely we were last year without her! :facepalm:

I'm 80 going on 81 and happy to be doing everything I want to do such as weekly golf, walking 10,000+ steps per day, driving long trips, being very healthy and fit, but I am not happy with the arthritis that is starting to show up in various parts of my body!:(

Not that I am some kind of expert, or dog trainer, but you should try to get her on a different schedule!:LOL:

Last edited:
I know I can't copy the article here and the link won't work unless you're a NY Times subscriber, but this article spoke so WELL about the topic of Happiness/ well-being and I loved the message....Learn from watching Toddlers! If you have a subscription, I highly recommend reading this column!

*Who has the secret to well-being? The answer may surprise you.

By Jancee Dunn, March 14, 2024

When it comes to happiness and living well, we can learn a lot from toddlers.

Grateful every day for the life I have lived. It has not always been easy. So Thankful to God for my family, friends and support systems. Even in dark moments, I work to find some element of happiness and peace.

As I have mentioned here many times--I aim to live my life with the Attitude of Gratitude!

Not that I am some kind of expert, or dog trainer, but you should try to get her on a different schedule!:LOL:

She is an elderly lady now, and just can't make it through the night anymore.

So true. I was just talking with my brother about how the neighbors we grew up near always seemed happy. We were in a farming community. Some of our neighbors were without telephones and a few didn't have indoor plumbing.

But rural living gave plenty of opportunities for fun.

I believe happiness is a balancing act between accepting who you are and being grateful for what you have, while also striving to improve upon that. By improving I don't necessarily mean financially or materially (though that's ok if you're not content with what you have). I mean, be a better person, be a better friend, spouse, citizen, human being, etc. Most of us have plenty of room for improvement.

Back
Top Bottom