Happy Thanksgiving All!

DawgMan

Full time employment: Posting here.
You know, it dawned on me this am as I get ready to host 36 (DW's family) for T-Day, complete with all the fixins, good booze, beer, and wine, how fortunate I am (and I believe most of you all are on this forum). The 80/20 (probably more like 95/5) rule applies as most of us here have made intentional financial decisions at some point in our lives to reach certain financial = lifestyle goals for our future. It saddens me to see friends of mine who I have known for years keep up with the Jones to only hear that they have no RE plan as they hit their 50s - 60s. Most of these people have no plan except work. I have noticed it becomes more difficult for these people to hide their financial challenges, primarily ability to RE, due to lack of resources as they hit this stretch of age. There have been many times over past years where I have wanted to jump into thier lives and shake some financial sense into them, but it never happened. It saddens me to see a train headed on a collision course like this. OTOH, I am very thankful to find a group of like minds on a site like this where ideas are shared. We are the lucky ones (lucky in that something/someone/some situation/experience gave us the wisdom/determination to implement a plan)!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ditto, DawgMan. :) Hope everyone enjoys their Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Dawngman is right, most of us here have a lot to be thankful for. It was so nice to have our kids down to Florida for a few days, celebrate Thanksgiving with them and my aunt/uncle with a nice turkey dinner yesterday (the kids are flying back home this afternoon).

This morning as I was doing the pots and pans from last night I thought of a couple friends whose adult son broke his neck in an accident earlier this summer... luckily, he will be fine but it was not apparent that would be the case at first. I know that family has a lot to be thankful for... and they are.

Anyhow, have a good day and enjoy friends and family if that is where you are headed.

Happy Thanksgiving!! I have so much good things in my life to be thankful for.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yes, eat, drink & be merry!

2 turkey breasts will start cooking on the egg soon rested a while and packed up and driven to Kelly's parents. The kids are doing all the cooking so Ma & Pa can just sit and chat.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

It's just the three of us. I'm doing turkey parts--the breast sous vide, the legs slow roasted. The back was turned into stock two days ago. Steaming the potatoes for mashing later and my mom's recipe for stuffing in a casserole in the oven. It sure would be nice if the sister or cousins would consider a traditional American Thanksgiving close to where it began. Ah, well, next year we might go west.

I'm thankful for not having to work the holiday, which I did from 2009-2015. One year we went to a hotel dinner. Most years I cooked Wednesday for the feast on Thursday, worked Thursday, then dragged myself home for it all. Talk about exhausted. DS is home with us, his best friend is also home with his folks. Saturday they build a computer from scratch. It should be an amazing weekend.

I'm so done with working the holidays. One of the reasons I ER'd is to actually enjoy the holidays. I am so thankful for the opportunity to enjoy this food and my small family.

Yes, eat, drink & be merry!

2 turkey breasts will start cooking on the egg soon rested a while and packed up and driven to Kelly's parents. The kids are doing all the cooking so Ma & Pa can just sit and chat.

Love the egg! I am smoking one of my 3 turkeys in a maple syrup/whiskey brine. Hope I can wait for the guests... feel like a kid at Christmas!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Go Cowboys

Hope all had a Happy Thanksgiving. I did. How about them Cowboys?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I had a potluck Thanksgiving meal with my extended family, hosted by my brother. Our tradition is to do it at lunch time in order to have more time to linger after the meal.

The party ended at 6PM. I went home all stuffed, and needless to say skipped dinner. We always have more food than we can eat. My other brother volunteered to host Christmas. I guess I will do the New Year.

Back
Top Bottom