Has anyone retired before sending their kids to college?

...Rambler

This summer, while our kid was at a three-week college program, I learned that Facebook has a feature to indicate whether or not you're in a relationship. Has your son recently been flipping the setting on his Facebook page?

He hasn't changed it, but I know he's chasing a particular young lady. Seem's he likes to flash daddy's money. He took his girl out for sushi a couple weeks ago and spent $50...I took DW out to dinner tonight, Gyoza/potstickers and ramen: grand total $13...same dinner we have about once or twice a month (I don't eat sushi).

R

I most definitely will, I will retire in 3-5 years and my baby was born this year.

I have enough in ibonds to pay for 7 years of projected tuition expense of an ivy league school. If he doesn't need it, we'll have that much more in retirement.

I'll add for those who don't know ibond interest is not subject to federal tax if used to pay for college tuition.

As for R&B and other fees, I started a 529 plan this year, and intend to put the maximum in it that is deductible (state tax). This year that was 10k. I will continue to fully fund it every year that I need to until I'm comfortable that it will fund 4 years of room and board expenses projected out 18 years.

I think that it would be tough to say go it alone to your kids. I trust people here would at least fill out the aid forms. I knew someone whose parents refused to do so and he couldn't get any kind of financial aid at all, not even loans. That was quite a while ago, but I assume it still would be true today.

If you are moneyed your kid won't get much if any financial aid anyway so if you don't pay what does the kid do? School is too expensive to work your way through. The dispensers of aid don't care if you don't want to pay, they assume you will.

I ER'd 5 years ago with two school age sons, both are now juniors (one in college and the other in HS.) I don't know any magic on how to make it happen.
It's "just" a matter of how much money you want to spend. If you want to sacrifice ER for a few years to put your kid through college then it's a personal choice and a budgeting/saving challenge. By "personal" I mean "the sense of internal satisfaction derived from behaving in accordance with your values", not "your kids will thank you for it".
That about sums up my thoughts on the matter as well. I've got a DB pension, a lump sum payout on top, access to health insurance at a still reasonable cost, and I did well in the stock market starting in the early 80's. Simple answer is I can afford to do it and I want to do it.

Up until 2007 I was letting the college money ride in the stock market, but when it started looking ugly I sold enough to raise cash for both kids' college expenses and put it aside. I've missed some upside in the last few months, but I slept well during the really bad times.
Actually having a bit of a problem with DS's expenses right now. He has somehow gone from being a very frugal fellow to being a big spender in a period of just a few months.
I'm knocking on wood while typing this, but I think I've lucked out so far. With the oldest one anyway.

There's not much deprivation going on around here, but there wasn't much in the way of luxurious spending either. Anything over what I provide for has always been at their expense. It's amazing how thrifty they become when it's their money going out the door.

The oldest one's miscellaneous school expenses have been very reasonable, in fact he came in under what I budgeted for his freshman year, and I was fairly parsiminous. When we dropped him off for freshman camp I handed him a few bucks in cash, put a hundred in his checking account, and threw a couple of hundred more on his school account and said "make it last but call if you're broke."

We were lucky in two broad areas, one literally being broads. He's dated a little there and at home and I think he got scared off by his selections. One liked to drink, like a fish. There was a story involving her and tequila that seemed to be the end of that budding relationship. After that he stuck with girls at school, but I think he ran into a string of them that were aggressively seeking a future husband and he's not even interested in going there yet. A few others were all crossed off his list with the comment: "I'm no great intellectual, but damn, they should at least be able to carry on an intelligent conversation about something".

All of which brings up some questions about my wife and the milkman. If he were truly my offspring, at this point in his college journey he should be thinking about joining AA and dodging some girls' angry parents. It's probably too late for genetic testing.

The other lucky break was his choice of friends. All of them are tight as drums when it comes to money and he says that modifies his choices on expenditures. The first two years they all ate almost exclusively at the campus cafeteria just because they all had required meal plans and couldn't afford to eat anywhere else.

The only expense issue is a potential one involving staying focused on a degree plan and graduating in a reasonable time. He was a biology major but he switched to computer science. He got sideswiped by a class in that major last year and he'll be taking the same class again this semester. He's stubborn like his mom and doesn't want to give up, but he has expressed the concern: "what if you're not right for something you really love?"

Like most fathers, my goal is to be able to boot the little birds out of the nest and see them fly on their own. College is part of that, and my paying for the education is something that makes me feel good about kicking them out of the nest in the near future. Both kids have been thoroughly indoctrinated in LBYM and we've discussed hundreds of real life cases of people who've blown up their lives financially and otherwise. When they take off on their own it will be with a degree that will help them start their careers, with a good work ethic, without a huge student loan tab, and with a better than basic understanding of how to manage their money without falling into one of those financial holes that so many people seem to find.

I don't have any tricks that haven't already been mentioned, e.g. 529s, UGMAs, tax-free (when used for educations) bonds and mostly save early and same a lot.

I have two kids, ages 16 and 18. I budget $125k/kid for college. That is based on 5 years at a UC school. I currently have about 75% of that value in 529s and UGMAs. The reminder will come from my own after tax investments.

The UGMAs were started within a month or two of when they were born. I still DCA into the 529s.

I have a net-worth spreadsheet that does a bunch of ER calcs. I subtract the $250k for college from my net worth before doing any of the ER calcs.

I am at or near FI now but I will probably wait another three years before making any decisions.

Nevertheless it is nice to have both the college and ER financial needs pretty much taken care of.

mb

He hasn't changed it, but I know he's chasing a particular young lady. Seem's he likes to flash daddy's money. He took his girl out for sushi a couple weeks ago and spent $50...
(he is a really good kid, but likes to cook and thus likes to feed the whole apartment block several times a week).
Well, OK. Call me cynical, but I read that "cooking for the block" comment and thought "Riiiiiight..." Can't imagine [-]parenting[/-] where I got that cynicism from.

I'll add for those who don't know ibond interest is not subject to federal tax if used to pay for college tuition.
I briefly experimented with this last year on my tax returns and learned that TurboTax actually asks for the name of the college and the purpose of the expense. It was enough info to make me wonder if the colleges submit matching records to the IRS. You definitely don't seem to be able to claim airfare and campus parking as tax-deductible college costs. Is it only tuition, or can it be used for "other" fees? Because there are a bunch of other fees, and unfortunately not all of them are paid direcly to the institution of higher learning.

I think that it would be tough to say go it alone to your kids. I trust people here would at least fill out the aid forms. I knew someone whose parents refused to do so and he couldn't get any kind of financial aid at all, not even loans.
I've read that many schools won't even start the paperwork for merit scholarships and work-study, let alone needs-based scholarships, without the FAFSA. They claim to comply with federal law but they base their databases on the info in the FAFSA. In a couple more years I can see the FAFSA becoming part of the college common application.

All of which brings up some questions about my wife and the milkman. If he were truly my offspring, at this point in his college journey he should be thinking about joining AA and dodging some girls' angry parents. It's probably too late for genetic testing.
My sea-duty schedule pretty well nailed down (so to speak) the date of our kid's conception, and I'm almost positive that I was present for the blessed event, but our kid's puritanical attitude toward sex/drugs/rock&roll gives me pause. Boy is she due for a surprise in her dorm room someday.

OTOH you and I may be somehow related...

When I went to college, my folks would only pay a meager amount towards some room & board. So I worked about 30 hours a week during college and lived very, very frugally. So frugally in fact, that I have several nick names from those days. My spouse had everything paid for from her parents and then social security when her dad died.

Flash forward to our kids. I don't expect to pay for my kids college expenses while my spouse expects to pay 100% of everything. We have some 529 plan money that will be helpful, but it won't go the whole way unless something miraculous happens in the next 12 months in the stock market. However, because my spouse really believes in paying for the whole thing, she will keep working and could devote 100% of her take home pay to college education expenses while we use our portfolio to cover our other expenses.

That would be another 9 years of working for her until our youngest is through college. Somehow I think she will have a change of heart after the first kid is through college and the second kid will get screwed.

I briefly experimented with this last year on my tax returns and learned that TurboTax actually asks for the name of the college and the purpose of the expense. It was enough info to make me wonder if the colleges submit matching records to the IRS. You definitely don't seem to be able to claim airfare and campus parking as tax-deductible college costs. Is it only tuition, or can it be used for "other" fees? Because there are a bunch of other fees, and unfortunately not all of them are paid direcly to the institution of higher learning.

Our school sends us a form at year end to tell us what to report. Here, it is just tuition for us, although the IRS does allow for "other" fees. So, there is nothing to decide. I do not know if the school reports to the IRS though nowadays with everything computerized, it should be quite doable. What irks me is that textbooks are not deductible although they are quite expensive.

I retired in March of last year, younger son was in 2nd year of college. It looks like it will be a 5 year degree and he is doing well (on dean's list). I told DS that I would help out where I can but only budgeted for 4 years. He is at a state school. He was unable to find a job this summer despite a very diliget effort. Just moved him into a shared apartment today, he was in the dorm the first 2 years. State school is good; I used to say junior college I have covered by my spare change jar, a state college mostly saved enough, Stanford or Caltech AND i KEEP WORKING.

Eh, my 20-yr old son is taller than me.

I briefly experimented with this last year on my tax returns and learned that TurboTax actually asks for the name of the college and the purpose of the expense. It was enough info to make me wonder if the colleges submit matching records to the IRS. You definitely don't seem to be able to claim airfare and campus parking as tax-deductible college costs. Is it only tuition, or can it be used for "other" fees?

Unfortunately only tuition. I have started a 529 for room and board and fees. The rules on the 529 are far more flexible.

edit: correction, tuition and mandatory fees. not room and board though. http://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/ch10.html#en_US_publink100021097

I paid for DS's college while still working. But if I had saved that same amount while working and then paid it after RE, it would have worked about the same I guess. Slight advantage to RE'ing first as I would have had the use of the money longer before turning it over to the university.

As ERD50 said, it's a moot point as to whether you write the check before RE'ing or after. Bux gone is bux gone.

One potential difference is you can manage your income to be lower in ER, potentially anyway. If I were working, for example, I'd not be able to use the ibonds toward education without paying tax. In ER I should be able to manage my income to be below the threshold.

The other problem in retiring many years before your kid goes to college is in the estimates themselves. Its harder to predict what kind of student he'll be or what kind of school he might be interested in. University expenses are harder to predict a decade in advance too.

In my case I'm planning conservatively (assuming 7 years in Ivy or equivalent cost) and am using historical tuition inflation data to project future costs. I actually had a thread about this a year and a half ago.

In my case I'm planning conservatively (assuming 7 years in Ivy or equivalent cost) and am using historical tuition inflation data to project future costs.
My most significant lesson learned was to go at least 50% CDs when the kid's a high-school sophomore. And it's not really a lesson I learned until Laurence asked why we were taking so much risk at that point.

We managed to sell off Berkshire Hathaway within a few percent of its all-time high, but if we'd waited another few months we would've been very unhappy.

Its harder to predict what kind of student he'll be or what kind of school he might be interested in.

I had prepared to pay for my children's tuition at an Ivy League school, but as they progressed through high school, found out that they had no such aspiration to get admitted to those schools.

At the risk of sounding like sour grapes, I will say that I have had 2 coworkers graduating from THE engineering school with a 3-letter abbreviation. One was good, but then just as good as any other good engineers. The other couldn't do anything technical, and couldn't even write a coherent sentence. He was the joke of the department, and had to leave. We always asked ourselves how he could get through school. It was a miracle!

This being an R&D group of a megacorp (one of the Dow 30), we had people from all different schools. A prestigious degree might get one's foot in the door, but after a few years of work no one cared what school or degree you had. The question is what one can do, and how he did on his last assignment. People find that out pretty quick.

Still, if my kids had such aspirations, I would support them. As it turns out, they cost me less than I feared. They could still go to a more prestigious school for a graduate degree, which is more cost effective. I would support such efforts. So far, I have not seen any inclination there either.

They are my kids and I love them. As long as they can support themselves and are happy, that's all I wish for.

Kids Might Feel Guilty, Later

If you delay your retirement dreams too much for your kids' college, they may feel guilty later.

My dad was born around WWI. Did not have children until he was in his 40's. Then, had a bunch of them.

He sent all of us to college on a modest salary. True, State college tuition was about $600 a year for us in the early 1970's. But, it was still a sacrifice.

Long story short. He died in the saddle at age 67 (terminal illness that went really fast).

I think he actually enjoyed his job about 50% of the time, and of course it's highly speculative (even unlikely) that the stress of working full-time as an older gent precipitated his illness.

Still, I wish he could have had a few years of leisure. If I could turn back the clock and say, "Dad, quit your job if you want. I'll happily take on a student loan." I would definitely do so.

Have them join the military....

Post 9/11 GI Bill is worth up to $90K

I retired from the Navy back in December and am less than 2 weeks from getting my Bachelor's Degree. I have only used less than 2 months of my GI Bill.

That means I will have about $45K or more to use for a Master's Degree.

I was only going to do 4 years and get my GI Bill and go to college. That was a long time ago.. :)

Well, OK. Call me cynical, but I read that "cooking for the block" comment and thought "Riiiiiight..." Can't imagine [-]parenting[/-] where I got that cynicism from.

Yup I understand that...but his cooking parties are what shows up on facebook...lots of girls in the photos. We know some of them, and the guys too. We don't drink (religious) and all his friends are of the same persuasion, so I'm not too worried about that...and nothing boozy shows up in the pics either... But, I do understand the cynicism...

R

I had prepared to pay for my children's tuition at an Ivy League school, but as they progressed through high school, found out that they had no such aspiration to get admitted to those schools.

At the risk of sounding like sour grapes, I will say that I have had 2 coworkers graduating from THE engineering school with a 3-letter abbreviation. One was good, but then just as good as any other good engineers. The other couldn't do anything technical, and couldn't even write a coherent sentence. He was the joke of the department, and had to leave. We always asked ourselves how he could get through school. It was a miracle!

This being an R&D group of a megacorp (one of the Dow 30), we had people from all different schools. A prestigious degree might get one's foot in the door, but after a few years of work no one cared what school or degree you had. The question is what one can do, and how he did on his last assignment. People find that out pretty quick.

Still, if my kids had such aspirations, I would support them. As it turns out, they cost me less than I feared. They could still go to a more prestigious school for a graduate degree, which is more cost effective. I would support such efforts. So far, I have not seen any inclination there either.

They are my kids and I love them. As long as they can support themselves and are happy, that's all I wish for.

My view and my experiences are not that different than yours, being a product of a state school myself. The 'foot in the door' is more important in some professions than others, though. Still, I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to pay so I'd happily do so if he had such an opportunity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom