Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Art is subjective, and means something different to every single person on earth. People get to judge what art is to them. It's a personal choice. Just because someone coined the term "body art" does not make it art to most people. It's just a tattoo.
Ya so? I think its art. You don't. Move along. Have a nice life etc etc

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Ya so? I think its art. You don't. Move along. Have a nice life etc etc
Exactly.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

I developed a great aversion to Tattoos after watching this movie ...
The Illustrated Man (1969)
Old 08-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Kinda reminds me of this:

Manly Stuff That Is No Longer Manly - 5/29/2007

Probably not safe for work.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

The thing is, I'm willing to accept tattoos having art potential, but I think all the drunken sub-30 year old experiences pretty much DQ themselves as all y'all had was $29.50 you scraped out of the car compartments and "Swear you are so getting this filled in when I get more money!".

I'm still interested in a tattoo, I just haven't found something I love that much. Probably means I'll never get one.

LOL, our close friend/neighbor is 40 and she has 3 kids, a Honda Pilot and two tattoos (both of the butterfly/ankle variety), that pretty much takes the rebel out of it.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:22 AM   #46

Only sailors and convicts have tattoos.

"Oh YEAH, buddy? My WIFE has a tattoo!"

"Oh really... what ship was she on?"

I think in less than 10 years, tattoo removal will become a big and painful business. And insurance won't be covering it.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:39 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Think back to the 70's and the clothing styles. Imagine that you have to perpetually wear a pair of clothes that you bought 30 years ago.

That is what I imagine it will be like for the 25 year old that gets covered in tattoos when they reach 55.

IMHO - Most will regret doing it more and more as they age.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I've seen more & more tatoos on the older women(over 55) and it's not a good look.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #49
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I've seen more & more tatoos on the older women(over 55) and it's not a good look.
Yeah, I've seen a few of those "Droopy Dog" tatoos, too.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Sag to say, it's not a good look!

ta,
mews
Old 08-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Think back to the 70's and the clothing styles. Imagine that you have to perpetually wear a pair of clothes that you bought 30 years ago.
great. ....now I am going to have to go out and buy new underwear.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Change is GOOD!

ta,
mews
Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Favorite Tatoo

My all time favorite

2fer
Old 08-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would never get a tattoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I have worn Black and White Converse AllStar Chuck Taylor low-tops, Levis(although larger sizes as time progresses), and olive green T-shirts since I was 17. I am 54 now. I am still cool, I swear.

Mike D.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

My Dermatologist says that about 40% of her patients have tattoos. Most of them look horrible and are indecipherable.

Mike D.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #56
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by two4theroad View Post
My all time favorite

2fer

I saw one of these before but he was mowing a smaller patch down the street...
Old 08-12-2008, 07:13 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
I don’t have or care for tattoos in general but once I saw a guy with a shaved head who had the “Intel Inside” logo tattooed on his temple. I thought that was funny. I wonder if Intel would sue him for misuse of their trademark if they noticed.
Probably not actually sue but very likely he got a letter from Intel if they found out about it.
I worked in the department responsible for Intel Inside (TM) licensing and enforcement. Sadly we were IMO overzealous in our enforcement. Including asking that it be removed from a NASCAR, lots of websites, and my personal favorite a Simpsons cartoon. The Simpsons episode was pretty cool Springfield gets in a war with France, and Homer launches an ICBM toward Paris with the Intel Inside logo on it. The lawyers, while all laughing hysterically at the cartoon and agreeing it was fabulous PR said we had to right them a cease and desist letter. The VP of marketing did ask the producers if he could a buy a cel of the scene though
Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think so. First, I am seeing more and more very middle class looking maybe a little chubby women sporting extensive tattoos; maybe fully covering both calves, or one entire shoulder. Nothing will turn off the hipsters faster than having Old Navy shoppers adopt their form of rebellion.

That's it for me, I’m short tattoos Monday AM!

Ha

After watching the Olympics and the beaches here in a Hawaii, I'm afraid that Tats are here to stay, as unappealing as they are to us old folks. I read a couple a years ago that more than 1/3 of all people between 18-29 have tats. I know a couple of very attractive gals in their late 30s and early 40s who've gotten them recently so as you say it is no longer just drunk kids getting them.

I did briefly consider buying a tattoo removal laser and leasing it back my ex-girlfriend cosmetic surgery dept. I've talked to several girls who've gone through the 10-20 step process to remove tats at the cost, but it isn't they are down on tattoo more that they don't like the particular tattoo they had removed.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:21 PM   #59

It's just another one of those things that the sheep in the mainstream have adopted from a sub-culture group. Baggy clothing started in the inner city because gangs wanted to be able to hide weapons without it being noticeable or because they were wearing other clothes underneath (the better to change their clothing description in case the police were looking for them). Tats and body piercings were the thing for bikers, gangs, the ultra-edgy, etc.

When you get 40-year-old soccer moms sporting their new tats and kids blowing their graduation money on theirs, I think the unique nature of it has long evaporated. Its no longer about being a nonconformist, but rather just following the rest of the herd.

I wonder what the next trend will be adopted by people so they can be "different" by doing what everyone they know is doing.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I wonder what the next trend will be adopted by people so they can be "different" by doing what everyone they know is doing.
I own two fedoras and two tuxedos. I think I'm going to try and keep the retro trend going by wearing at least the fedoras to work. Just call me Mr. Haberdashery.