Have tattoos peaked?

DEAR ABBY: Man’s body art gets piercing stares

DEAR ABBY: I am an 18-year-old male, and every day I face judgment, cruel remarks, disapproving stares and other harassment.
The reason? I want to be a tattoo and piercing artist. I currently have one tattoo, which my shirtsleeve covers, and more than 20 piercings. Eight of the piercings are in my face, and most of the others are in my ears. My main ear holes are stretched out to a half-inch.
I can’t walk down the street without hearing some comment, or someone stopping and staring, slack-jawed. Even friendly inquiries are becoming irritating. I’m passionate about tattoos and piercings and have been since childhood. I chose my piercings to balance each other and create an art form on my face and ears.
At school I was judged and stereotyped at the beginning of each year and would go out of my way to prove I am a nice, respectable human being with feelings. Now, with a new school term approaching, how can I get people to stop judging me and asking dumb questions like, “How bad did that hurt?” — Future Skin Artist, Port Huron, Mich

Dear Future Skin Artist,
If you want to look like a clown that is your business, but you better get used to the stares and rude remarks. You are craving attention and you will probably get it.

It seems to me that tattoos are mostly acquired when people are young. Yeah there are a few people that get them later in age.

It appears that the many of the people who get large amounts of tattoos are part of some subculture (e.g., bikers, criminal, carnies). Especially people who get sleeves or the entire torso covered... When they tattoo their face, I really begin to cringe. Better like that tat... they will look at it every time they look in a mirror.

By the way I dont have any tattoos. Its still art though. Whether someone thinks its tasteful, looks like **** or whatever opinion you have :) Ive seen stuff done by the great painters I think looks like puke but its art. ;)

Art is subjective, and means something different to every single person on earth. People get to judge what art is to them. It's a personal choice. Just because someone coined the term "body art" does not make it art to most people. It's just a tattoo.

I don’t have or care for tattoos in general but once I saw a guy with a shaved head who had the “Intel Inside” logo tattooed on his temple. I thought that was funny. I wonder if Intel would sue him for misuse of their trademark if they noticed.

Well, I guess its good free advertising, unless of course the guy is a blathering idiot. Which...sort...of...seems...likely.

When someone gets a tattoo at age 20 or so they might want to first consider the next 50 or so years of weight gain, weight loss, pregnancy, stretch marks, wrinkles, sagging...

Its art. Some people like art.

Maybe it could be considered as 'truth in labeling'?

200803191007.jpg

Dear Future Skin Artist,
If you want to look like a clown that is your business, but you better get used to the stares and rude remarks. You are craving attention and you will probably get it.

You should have included the final line of the column:

P.S. Perhaps in the future you should consider moving to Los Angeles. In this town everyone has seen almost everything, and people who are different are less shocking.

I guess that's another difference between folks from Texas and California :bat: ...

- Ron

You should have included the final line of the column:

P.S. Perhaps in the future you should consider moving to Los Angeles. In this town everyone has seen almost everything, and people who are different are less shocking.

I guess that's another difference between folks from Texas and California :bat: ...

- Ron
I don't think I have seen anyone stared out for anything since I moved to the city. It would just point out the starer as being uncool. I will not say that people do not notice, they of course do. They may or may not think, "Ah nice!", or "How tacky!" But they don't show any of this.

Ha

Bummer. I like tats. I have a woman lawyer friend with one covering her entire back.

When someone gets a tattoo at age 20 or so they might want to first consider the next 50 or so years of weight gain, weight loss, pregnancy, stretch marks, wrinkles, sagging...

Yep. My grandfather had 2 tattoos on his forearms from his days in the Marines. He was close to 60 when I first remember noticing them, and it was very hard to make out what they were. "Yeah, Grandpa, I guess that does sort of look like a bulldog".

One thing that I know is that I'm fairly different now than I was 10 or 15 years ago. Anything I might have gotten a tattoo of then likely wouldn't mean much to me today. I'll just buy t-shirts to express my currently-held convictions, instead. ;)

Ha, in the genteel south (as it were) they are still/have always been considered pretty tacky. There are lots of places that visible tattoos would ensure you wouldn't work there. Interestingly, SC just legalized tattoo parlors, but they can only do tats below the neck. I have a younger cousin who is apprenticing as a tattoist, and he is an excellent artist (the weird sci-fi sort of stuff though) and covered up with tats himself. His dad was a biker though.

I have one girlfriend with a tattoo, but she's from Maine via Seattle. ;) There are two of them with those belly button rings, though. I'm not remotely into pain, so I'd never even consider it. Heck, in my family, even double piercing your ears (all the rage when I was in high school) was considered tacky.

DH's sister got one for her 40th birthday and we snickered forever--exactly what you were saying: how cool can a tat be if 40 yr old women are getting them?

Art is subjective, and means something different to every single person on earth. People get to judge what art is to them. It's a personal choice. Just because someone coined the term "body art" does not make it art to most people. It's just a tattoo.

Ya so? I think its art. You don't. Move along. Have a nice life etc etc :)

The thing is, I'm willing to accept tattoos having art potential, but I think all the drunken sub-30 year old experiences pretty much DQ themselves as all y'all had was $29.50 you scraped out of the car compartments and "Swear you are so getting this filled in when I get more money!". :p

I'm still interested in a tattoo, I just haven't found something I love that much. Probably means I'll never get one.

LOL, our close friend/neighbor is 40 and she has 3 kids, a Honda Pilot and two tattoos (both of the butterfly/ankle variety), that pretty much takes the rebel out of it.

Only sailors and convicts have tattoos.

"Oh YEAH, buddy? My WIFE has a tattoo!"

"Oh really... what ship was she on?" :D

I think in less than 10 years, tattoo removal will become a big and painful business. And insurance won't be covering it.

Think back to the 70's and the clothing styles. Imagine that you have to perpetually wear a pair of clothes that you bought 30 years ago.

That is what I imagine it will be like for the 25 year old that gets covered in tattoos when they reach 55.

IMHO - Most will regret doing it more and more as they age.

Back
Top Bottom