Have tattoos peaked?

Think back to the 70's and the clothing styles. Imagine that you have to perpetually wear a pair of clothes that you bought 30 years ago.

great. ....now I am going to have to go out and buy new underwear.:D

Favorite Tatoo

My all time favorite :cool:

two4theroad-albums-lori-s-pictures-picture54t-bald-guy-tattoo.jpg

2fer

Last edited:
I would never get a tattoo

Think back to the 70's and the clothing styles. Imagine that you have to perpetually wear a pair of clothes that you bought 30 years ago.

I have worn Black and White Converse AllStar Chuck Taylor low-tops, Levis(although larger sizes as time progresses), and olive green T-shirts since I was 17. I am 54 now. I am still cool, I swear.

Mike D.

My Dermatologist says that about 40% of her patients have tattoos. Most of them look horrible and are indecipherable.

Mike D.

I don’t have or care for tattoos in general but once I saw a guy with a shaved head who had the “Intel Inside” logo tattooed on his temple. I thought that was funny. I wonder if Intel would sue him for misuse of their trademark if they noticed.

Probably not actually sue but very likely he got a letter from Intel if they found out about it.
I worked in the department responsible for Intel Inside (TM) licensing and enforcement. Sadly we were IMO overzealous in our enforcement. Including asking that it be removed from a NASCAR, lots of websites, and my personal favorite a Simpsons cartoon. The Simpsons episode was pretty cool Springfield gets in a war with France, and Homer launches an ICBM toward Paris with the Intel Inside logo on it. The lawyers, while all laughing hysterically at the cartoon and agreeing it was fabulous PR said we had to right them a cease and desist letter. The VP of marketing did ask the producers if he could a buy a cel of the scene though :D

I think so. First, I am seeing more and more very middle class looking maybe a little chubby women sporting extensive tattoos; maybe fully covering both calves, or one entire shoulder. Nothing will turn off the hipsters faster than having Old Navy shoppers adopt their form of rebellion.

That's it for me, I’m short tattoos Monday AM!

Ha

After watching the Olympics and the beaches here in a Hawaii, I'm afraid that Tats are here to stay, as unappealing as they are to us old folks. I read a couple a years ago that more than 1/3 of all people between 18-29 have tats. I know a couple of very attractive gals in their late 30s and early 40s who've gotten them recently so as you say it is no longer just drunk kids getting them.

I did briefly consider buying a tattoo removal laser and leasing it back my ex-girlfriend cosmetic surgery dept. I've talked to several girls who've gone through the 10-20 step process to remove tats at the cost, but it isn't they are down on tattoo more that they don't like the particular tattoo they had removed.

It's just another one of those things that the sheep in the mainstream have adopted from a sub-culture group. Baggy clothing started in the inner city because gangs wanted to be able to hide weapons without it being noticeable or because they were wearing other clothes underneath (the better to change their clothing description in case the police were looking for them). Tats and body piercings were the thing for bikers, gangs, the ultra-edgy, etc.

When you get 40-year-old soccer moms sporting their new tats and kids blowing their graduation money on theirs, I think the unique nature of it has long evaporated. Its no longer about being a nonconformist, but rather just following the rest of the herd.

I wonder what the next trend will be adopted by people so they can be "different" by doing what everyone they know is doing.

I wonder what the next trend will be adopted by people so they can be "different" by doing what everyone they know is doing.

I own two fedoras and two tuxedos. I think I'm going to try and keep the retro trend going by wearing at least the fedoras to work. Just call me Mr. Haberdashery.

Bart: Hey everybody! (shows his earring to his family) Sparkle, Sparkle!
Homer:
BART!!!!
Lisa:
An earring, how rebellious! In a conformist sort of way.
Marge:
What on earth possessed you to get an earring?
Bart:
Milhouse has one!
Marge:
If Milhouse jumped off a cliff...
Bart:
Milhouse jumped off a cliff? I'm there! (tries to run off)
Homer:
Get back here, boy! You're a disgrace to this family and its proud naval tradition.
Bart:
WELL, I'M KEEPING THIS EARRING AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME!! (runs away)
Homer: Ohhhhh.... I thought Lisa would be the one to get her ears pierced.
Lisa:
Can I?
Homer:
(angrily scares Lisa) NO!!!!

Um, I wasn't really talking about the tats, I was more talking about the giant fish hooks piercing his back, suspending him from a ceiling 35 feet up. If that's art, keep me out of the gallery! Whew!

Um, I wasn't really talking about the tats, I was more talking about the giant fish hooks piercing his back, suspending him from a ceiling 35 feet up. If that's art, keep me out of the gallery! Whew!

He was probably just trying to figure out if he had what it took to be a moderator.

I would guess that the people on this forum aren't the type to get tatoos. People who get tatoos are the same people who don't look past tomorrow with their finances. They don't think about what the tatoo is going to look like when they're 60 just like they don't think about the fact that they'll need money after they're no longer able to work.

My dad got a tatoo of the playboy bunny on his shoulder when he was in Vietnam at age 19. He thought it was cool at the time but now at age 59, married with 2 kids, it looks rediculous. When I was a teenager and saw that tatoo that's when I knew i'd never get one of my own. A 32 year old female friend of mine just got "f**k you" tatoo'd on the back of her leg because she works as a bartender and was tired of guys looking at her legs. What makes it so bad is that she's a mother of 3 including a 3 year old. Imagine how that looks when she takes her kids to the pool... or anywhere else for that matter. There are two women at work one 22 and one 51. They were both bending over working on something and exposing their "tramp stamps". That was pretty funny for everyone except the 51 year old. I'm sure she thought that was cool when she got it at age 21 but now it's pathetic. So, as I said before, it comes down to whether you think just for today or for the future. Whether your taking about finances or tatoos, if you just think about today, you"ll regret it later.

i have two...there was really no stigma for my generation about tattoos (ie only for crooks, bikers, sailors) and I do think they range from horribly ugly to really amazing.

I would guess that the people on this forum aren't the type to get tatoos. People who get tatoos are the same people who don't look past tomorrow with their finances.

Enjoy unsupported sweeping generalizations? :)

cantlogin: too funny!

what, you never hung a mobile?

img_699791_0_76ef55f7821aab1dd85d99f6f3fb2cd5.jpg

Enjoy unsupported sweeping generalizations? :)

Ahh? I think that made perfectly good sense. I don't know any older people(50+) who got tatoos when they were younger(<30) that wouldn't get rid of their tatoos if they could do so free and without pain. There's going to be a whole generation of people with barb wire tatoos who got them because it was cool at the time but will regret it 20,30+ years from now.

Ahh? I think that made perfectly good sense. I don't know any older people(50+) who got tatoos when they were younger(<30) that wouldn't get rid of their tatoos if they could do so free and without pain. There's going to be a whole generation of people with barb wire tatoos who got them because it was cool at the time but will regret it 20,30+ years from now.

Just an anecdote:

About 20 years ago there were several former USNavy folks in the office who had tattoos. Later I saw they had them removed and somewhat later they were supervisors/bosses.

I would guess that the people on this forum aren't the type to get tatoos. People who get tatoos are the same people who don't look past tomorrow with their finances. They don't think about what the tatoo is going to look like when they're 60 just like they don't think about the fact that they'll need money after they're no longer able to work.

Gee, I'm 60 and have a number of tattoos, and still getting them (latest was 2 weeks ago). I've never had any negative comments at work or anywhere in public. Getting one is a personal decision and really is no one else's business. Just like convertible automobiles, pink bathrooms, and stucco walls...it's not for everyone. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom