Help, Dad driving without a license

Of course there are undoubtedly accidents where an impaired, distracted or teen driver was the cause without being in the accident. There's no evidence to suggest elderly drivers are unique in that respect. So largely a wash in 'the stats' - unless you have better stats to corroborate your POVs.

And where would we get stats on elderly drivers who failed their vision test and continued to drive w/o a licence? That's what is relevant to the discussion here.

-ERD50

And where would we get stats on elderly drivers who failed their vision test and continued to drive w/o a licence? That's what is relevant to the discussion here.

-ERD50
I guess you'll have to find them yourself. I am by no means suggesting an elderly driver shouldn't be off the road when they reach the point they become a serious hazard to others, but all I've seen here is anecdotal data so far. One or a few instances doesn't make a convincing case. As it turns out, in our specific case, my Dad never drove with an expired license fortunately.

I just hope those who came on very strong on the issue of elderly drivers impact on safety are as impassioned by the issue impaired, distracted and/or teen drivers present to the safety of other drivers.

Last edited:

I just hope those who came on very strong on the issue of elderly drivers impact on safety are as impassioned by the issue impaired, distracted and/or teen drivers present to the safety of other drivers.

I think we've seen plenty of "get off my lawn" type posts here, complaining about distracted drivers.

But that's not apples-to-apples, is it? You were talking about someone who knew they would not be able to pass the drivers test, wanting to drive anyway.

Imagine if I said my kid failed his drivers test because he was texting during the test, but he wanted to keep driving anyway. And what if I said "He's perfectly fine behind the wheel, doesn't drive far and never at night, so I don't think any action is warranted?

I'm pretty sure the reaction would be similar. And it appears your father got a 'wink-wink-nod-nod' approval from that optometrist two years ago (a friend perhaps?). That's not really fair to other drivers who don't have access to such 'resources'.

And I'm all for stiffer restrictions and more training for teens. IL put restrictions on who can be in the car for certain age drivers. I was all for that.

-ERD50

You were talking about someone who knew they would not be able to pass the drivers test, wanting to drive anyway.
The upshot of my message was to prevent our Dad from driving, and fortunately he didn't. We weren't trying to rationalize him driving. Fortunately we talked him out of it before he ever took the wheel again - not good enough for you?

ERD50 said:
And it appears your father got a 'wink-wink-nod-nod' approval from that optometrist two years ago (a friend perhaps?). That's not really fair to other drivers who don't have access to such 'resources'.
I don't know if he got a wink and a nod approval or not, but I'm sure you have no idea. They're aren't friends at all, you're really determined to paint this as something it's not.

I am sorry about the accident you were involved in. But our circumstances weren't the same at all, no matter how hard you try to change the narrative to paint our situation (or every case with an older driver) as something it wasn't.

I guess you'll have to find them yourself. I am by no means suggesting an elderly driver shouldn't be off the road when they reach the point they become a serious hazard to others, but all I've seen here is anecdotal data so far. One or a few instances doesn't make a convincing case. As it turns out, in our specific case, my Dad never drove with an expired license fortunately.

it's not an either/or situation. most places now have serious consequences for distracted drivers, especially with the explosion of texting and driving, along with the constant battle against drunk driving.

The parallel between some teenages' driving and our elderlies is interesting. Both can be dangerous to themselves, and harmful to innocent bystanders. Not saying that all elderlies are like this, and not every of their bad behaviors applies to driving.

What I have noticed with some of the elders that I know is that they become self-centered, and selfish. They do not care about others' feelings, and some with a narcissistic tendency become even more so. That plus a reduced mental capacity makes them unyielding to reasons. So, in a way they revert back to their foolish childhood.

Again, I am not saying every elderly gets like that, thank God, but I have seen plenty. If that is a curse of getting old, I pray I will be spared this fate, even if I have to die sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
EDIT: Oops -- I see that your situation has been resolved. Good to hear! Disregard comments below posted earlier.

--------------------------------------------------

It sounds like your Dad is a competent adult (ie no Conservatorship/Guardianship in place or anything like that.)

Let him make the call after providing him the best information that you can.

As far as the eye test goes, DM recently failed a vision screening test at the DMV. They had a form that her eye doctor could fill out. The eye doctor, with whom Mom had a long term doctor-patient relationship, performed the battery of tests and concluded that there was nothing wrong with Moms vision and filled out the form accordingly with the test results etc. etc.

My DF died behind the wheel of his car due to a heart attack. He was on the freeway exit ramp and went off into the weeds. Fortunately no one else was hurt, There is virtually no public transportation available in our metro area. For a man that highly valued his car/independence it seemed a most poetic way to go.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we all share responsibility for highway safety. You can't assume that "the other" guy will always follow traffic laws and conventions.

-gauss

Last edited:

Based on this recent thread, I'd say "YES!".

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/texting-while-driving-85447.html#post1839293

A sampling, from just a 6 hour period:

People like that are simply too stupid to figure it out.

I have no patience left for the people who do this $h!t.

My wife has a friend who always calls her while driving. ... I said it would be really "nice" one of these days for my wife to hear a crash while talking to this friend.

I definitely do not think that anyone should text and drive and I support stiffer sentences

Drives me crazy. I can't imagine how I would feel if someone I cared about got seriously hurt by some loser doing this.

I would not remain friend with this IDIOT, and stay away as far as I can.

This makes him a bad person.

I do think it's clearly a form of willful negligence that's worthy of punishment.

This is cut and dried, the perp is doing something voluntary, that can kill others. He should be severely punished for this.

Texting (as well as talking on the phone!) while driving is just extremely dangerous. And it is becoming so widespread that you have to pretty much assume EVERYONE around you is basically driving while "impaired". In my opinion it is no better than DUI and should be treated that way by law enforcement

This sort of thing angers me a lot.
Perpetrators should receiver harsher punishment!

-ERD50

What I have noticed with some of the elders that I know is that they become self-centered, and selfish. They do not care about others' feelings, and some with a narcissistic tendency become even more so.

I couldn't agree more. I live in Florida, so there is a higher percentage of the population that fall into this category, but in recent weeks, I have noticed the following:

People pulling out right in front of other cars (sometimes when there is clear space behind said other cars), forcing hard braking, and then driving 10 miles under the speed limit. Driving all over the road as if they are texting, but they are not (and not likely intoxicated given the time of day).

Bringing way more items to the express check-out lane because they don't want to wait in the longer line where they belong.

Talking loudly during movies to inquire and explain to each other because they are confused by the plot line. Polite shushing is ignored.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but have noticed this. Note to self: remember this when I am that age if I'm lucky enough to get there.

...People pulling out right in front of other cars (sometimes when there is clear space behind said other cars), forcing hard braking, and then driving 10 miles under the speed limit...

Bringing way more items to the express check-out lane because they don't want to wait in the longer line where they belong.

Talking loudly during movies to inquire and explain to each other because they are confused by the plot line. Polite shushing is ignored....

Note to self: remember this when I am that age if I'm lucky enough to get there.

What are the chances you will remember where the note is when you're "that age"?

I couldn't agree more. I live in Florida, so there is a higher percentage of the population that fall into this category, but in recent weeks, I have noticed the following:

People pulling out right in front of other cars (sometimes when there is clear space behind said other cars), forcing hard braking, and then driving 10 miles under the speed limit.

I'm in FL too, and I've seen this at least 5 times in the past two days. I don't remember people doing this as often in the past. Sadly, it affects me fairly often since in FL the right hand lane tends to be the fast lane. Or at least the left lane tends to be a slower lane. People turn out of the right lane fairly often, allowing the traffic to move along. The people in the left lane are planning to turn (sometimes even left) sometime in the next 5 or 10 miles.

Back
Top Bottom