Help Wanted; Must Love Wine

Eagle43

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Finally, the perfect job is available. I knew it was there, here it is.
- - - - - - ------
Across the country, restaurants are practically begging for qualified sommeliers, wine stewards, beverage managers and wine educators. Whatever you want to call them, one thing is clear: They are scarce, and they are increasingly important to the success of ambitious restaurants.

Those who know little about wine may not recognize the service problem. They may blame themselves and settle for water. But for those who know enough to know what they are missing, the outrages abound.

For wine lovers, a waiter bringing a different, lesser vintage than the one advertised on the wine list, or a restaurant serving fino sherry hot from the back of the bar instead of chilled from the refrigerator, is like posting a sign: “Find Another Place.”

“I was in a restaurant in Atlanta where they really ought to know better, and a waiter served a Madeira on ice, like a bottle of Champagne,” said Karen MacNeil, who wrote “The Wine Bible” (Workman, 2001) and is chairwoman of the professional wine studies program at the Culinary Institute of America’s Greystone campus in St. Helena, Calif.

- - - - ----------------------
Of course, I'm only an expert in wines priced at 10 bucks or less, but hey, you must start somewhere. "Madame, may I recommend a 2005 yellowtail?"

Apparently wine accounts for 30 percent of net revenue in some restaurants. Wait a minute, though, time out. I just finished the article. The sommelier has to bus tables? Forget it. I'm not cleaning any stinking tables.

when they want the same thing for beer, I'm available! Even have the certification (Beer Judge Certification Program National ranking).

but wine....naw....at least when tasting beer you're expected to swallow.

I recently visited a new "Irish Pub" in town. Ordered a Guiness of course. It came icy cold. ACK! The need more than a sommelier, they need a crack upside the head.

bosco said:
when they want the same thing for beer, I'm available!
Silly me, I had assumed that chocolate milk was your area of expertise, bosco ;)

Sheryl said:
I recently visited a new "Irish Pub" in town. Ordered a Guiness of course. It came icy cold. ACK! The need more than a sommelier, they need a crack upside the head.

Maybe they need some Irish bartenders........... :D

Kind of like Foster's......true Austrialians drink it warm............and eat Kiwis like we eat apples, skin and all.......... ;)

bosco said:
Even have the certification (Beer Judge Certification Program National ranking).

Me too. Did they give you the secret decoder ring?

FinanceDude said:
Kind of like Foster's......true Austrialians drink it warm............and eat Kiwis like we eat apples, skin and all.......... ;)

Actually, true Austrailians don't drink Fosters. ;)

astromeria said:
Silly me, I had assumed that chocolate milk was your area of expertise, bosco ;)

Bosco is actually my dog's name--he's a chocolate lab. ;) doesn't like beer though.

brewer12345 said:
Me too. Did they give you the secret decoder ring?

yep!

I'm also a home brewer--not surprising I guess

Sheryl said:

That's a real nightmare Sheryl! A crack upside the head indeed! Those ding-a-lings need to spend a few days in the keg cooler until they get it adjusted right!

Guinness can be served cooler than other ales. 5-8 degrees celsius is about ideal, although some places keep their Guinness at cellar temperature along with their other ales and that's the way I prefer it.

Hey, if you're just looking for a "cold one" to quinch a summer afternoon's thirst, order a frosty mug of some domestic swill and chug it down. Been there, done that! ;) But let's serve Guinness correctly so it can be enjoyed and appreciated. After all, it's good for you! :)

Back
Top Bottom