Help with Startpage Trojan

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Mac OS X Leopard firewall failed every test.

Whoops.

Of course, in the true spirit of spreading FUD, CFB fails to include the full context from that article (or even provide a link):

A second look at the Mac OS X Leopard firewall - heise Security

the problems and peculiarities described here are not security vulnerabilities in the sense that they can be exploited to break into a Mac
So, another day goes by in the Mac World with no malware attacks. Ho hum.

This looks pretty simple to me. Logically, there are only a few possibilities:

A) There are other protection schemes in place in OSX, and this is a total non-issue. Previous releases of OSX have had the firewall turned off by default, and there have been no issues.

B) This is an issue, and Apple will patch it.

C) This is an issue, Apple doesn't fix it, but no one exploits it to do any damage.

D) This is an issue, Apple doesn't fix it, and some Macs (finally) start getting hit by malware.

Considering that there haven't been any damaging exploits in all of OSX history, and considering that Apple even started using this FACT in their advertising, and considering that Apple has over $15B in the bank that they could be spending on security issues to maintain that claim, I think 'A' and/or 'B' are the most likely outcomes, with 'C' being a far less comforting possibility.

And if 'D' comes to pass, I'll take some actions.

Standard disclaimer - Macs could get hit with damaging malware, tomorrow. But I keep saying that, don't I?

-ERD50

Care to point out where someone expressed interest in an Apple computer in this thread until you taunted the OP about the supposed superiority of an OS that is far from superior?

Sure, right here:

I am more than ever motivated to move to freeBSD.

There was also another thread with Dan Tein asking about Apple laptops. I just try to provide some useful info. There is a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to Apple, and some FUD spreaders, to boot.

I ' taunted the OP about the supposed superiority of an OS that is far from superior?' :confused: I fail to see where I did that.

BTW, looks like PC Magazine does not agree with you (bold mine):

- Apple OS X 10.5 (Leopard): Full Preview - Reviews by PC Magazine

After three intense days with Apple's Mac OS X Leopard Version 10.5, I have three main things to say about it. First: despite minor problems, it's by far the best operating system ever written for the vast majority of consumers, with dozens of new features that have real practical value—like truly automated backups, preview images in folders, and notes and to-do lists integrated into the mail program. Propeller-heads with IT know-how will no doubt hold up Linux as the better choice, and Vista has its devotees as well(and will probably have more when SP1 is widely available), but, for the average user, Leopard is the most polished and easiest to use OS I've tested.
Whatever. Anyone that is considering a Mac ought to check it out for themselves. Personally, I'm not too thrilled with the limited hardware choices on the desktop side. Others are in love with the iMacs. Each person needs to weigh their pros/cons and decide for themselves.

-ERD50

Do you know what "freebsd" is?

Hint: its got nothing to do with apple other than the core of the two operating systems sharing a little bit of genetic material. Freebsd is a completely different OS that is not funded nor sold by Apple.

Admit it: you taunted the guy in an unhelpful manner with a troll.

Can you rollback your XP to a restore point?

Do you know what "freebsd" is?

Hint: its got nothing to do with apple other than the core of the two operating systems sharing a little bit of genetic material. Freebsd is a completely different OS that is not funded nor sold by Apple.

Admit it: you taunted the guy in an unhelpful manner with a troll.

I didn't bring up freeBSD, I just responded.

If someone expresses interest in freeBSD, they can get it in OSX. Probably the most practical way for the average computer user.

-ERD50

OSX is NOT freebsd.

Freebsd is a separate and distinct operating system run as an open source project with roots in at&t's commercial unix product.

OSX is based on elements of the Mach kernel and Freebsd version 5. Freebsd is currently at version 8. Windows NT and VAX/VMS also have/had extensive infusions of technology from various unix offerings. OSX has also borrowed elements of a number of other operating systems and unix derivatives.

You do not "get" freebsd by getting osx. You get almost nothing of what freebsd offers in osx. Other than being able to mount a freebsd file system under osx, there is nothing whatsoever significant thats comparable between the two. By getting osx, you get a totally different operating system with a totally different front end, totally different applications, almost totally different underlying architecture, and you dont get any aspect of the open source product, since osx is a commercial product produced by a corporation.

You leaped on a vague reference you didnt understand to insert a trolling remark that was off topic and not helpful to the OP. Or anyone else for that matter. And it wasnt even factual!

Put your finger and thumb in an "L" shape, and place your hand on your forehead.

Sorry about all that splattered ketchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
I am more than ever motivated to move to freeBSD.

What's stopping you? Looking at threads like this makes me glad I have never had to deal with any of this.

Well...nothing! Yesterday I bought a surplus desktop machine and am trying to get a version of freeBSD (PC-BSD) to install. I will keep y'all posted.

Gypsy

Well...nothing! Yesterday I bought a surplus desktop machine and am trying to get a version of freeBSD (PC-BSD) to install. I will keep y'all posted.

Gypsy

Please do keep us posted! I am interested in trying these alternates, I just never got the impression that they were far enough along. Here's a pretty positive review:

OSWeekly.com - PC-BSD: The Most Beginner Friendly OS

Got that from a link from wiki.

Good luck with it, I don't suppose you'll need to worry about virus issues too much ;)

-ERD50

OSX is NOT freebsd.
OSX is based on elements of the Mach kernel and Freebsd version 5....

You leaped on a vague reference you didnt understand to insert a trolling remark that was off topic and not helpful to the OP. Or anyone else for that matter. And it wasnt even factual!

Fine.... Geez, he mentioned FreeBSD and I made the association with Mac OSX, which is true. I didn't say they were one and the same, or anything to that effect.

It's not trolling - looks like Ed is interested in trying something that may be more virus resistant, I mentioned OSX due to that association with FreeBSD. What's to get your short's all tied up in a knot about?

Looks like he chose PC_BSD. Good for him! I hope it works well, I might give it a try.

Put your finger and thumb in an "L" shape, and place your hand on your forehead.

Sorry about all that splattered ketchup.
What's with the childish personal attacks? I thought those were supposed to be off-bounds on this forum anyhow. When other's see who has to go for the personal attacks, it's probably clear to them just who the loser is.

-ERD50

I made the association with Mac OSX, which is true. I didn't say they were one and the same, or anything to that effect.

If someone expresses interest in freeBSD, they can get it in OSX. Probably the most practical way for the average computer user.

Cant even agree with yourself in the same thread?

I'm picking on you because you asked for it. Dont [moderator edit] and then whine about the results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant even agree with yourself in the same thread?

I'm picking on you because you asked for it. Dont yank my dick and then whine about the results.

Listen CFB, I have no interest in getting into a war of words over how FreeBSD and Mac OSX might be associated, integrated, evolved, linked, or anything else. You would just declare yourself the winner anyway. ;)

Ed_the_Gypsy brought up FreeBSD, apparently seeing it as a possibly more virus resistant option to Windows. I mentioned another option with some BSD roots - is that a crime?

I hope this little diversion has not deterred Ed_the_Gypsy from reporting back on his experience with PC_BSD, I am interested in it. I might even buy some cheap hardware with an AMD processor, just to give it a spin myself ;)

-ERD50

Can you rollback your XP to a restore point?

My desktop was infected by a number of trojans on Monday. Two weeks ago I switched from McAfee to Avast not a good idea........Avast alerted me but was unable to stop the attacks. I reinstalled McAfee scanned my hard drive and 9 trojans were removed. The problem is the damage was already done it corrupted my registry and I still get IE popups that are annoying as hell.

BTW it even deleted all previous system restore points so I was unable to restore it to a previous date.

I will probably perform a system recovery this weekend as a last resort. I hate to do this because of the hassle of reinstalling all the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom