Old XP netbook, laptop, and PC

One more thing - it is always best to fully verify the download before burning to DVD, just to be sure it downloaded correctly with no errors/corruption.

This is easy, each file (.iso) will have a checksum published, called an MD5SUM. From Windows, you'll need to load a utility that can re-create the checksum on your file, a few suggestions are here, and a brief excerpt:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

MD5SUM on Windows

Windows does not come with md5sum. You must download one from another location, preferably one that you trust. ....

There are also graphical tools such as the one used in the walk-through provided below.

Download and install winMD5Sum, a free and open source hash verification program.

Right-click the ISO file.
Click Send To, then winMD5Sum.

Wait for winMD5Sum to load and finish the checksum (this may take a significant amount of time depending on your computer's performance).

Copy the corresponding hash from UbuntuHashes into the bottom text box.

Click "Compare"

That page provides links to a few different MD5SUM tools. Any should work fine.

-ERD50

A total newbie question --- I've seen Linux and Ubuntu recommendations above. Which is simpler to install and use (as I'm a very practiced computer user, but a complete newbie on the tech side of things)?

Technically "linux" is the kernel,basically allows/controls access to system resources and hardware. This is a good overview from wiki Kernel (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ubuntu ( and Mint, Suse, RedHat, Slackware etc ) are distributions. Includes the kernel, system configuration and user apps to make a complete system for the end user.

Most people interchange linux with distribution but you would be installing a linux distribution. Distros can be customized for special task and there is a distro for just about anything you want

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Thanks all for all the helpful replies.

At this point I'm wondering if the desktop may be on its deathbed and not worth any more effort. I decided to deal with the desktop first. After wasting 2 hours on trying to delete some of the larger files, etc. and get internet access. Neither firefox nor IE (both already loaded) seem to get me there. I know that the computer is able to access the web, as I am getting messages on various systemcare and malware programs about updating definitions and versions. I've run out of ideas as to what the issue may be.

Unless there's some easy 'fix' to gain internet access that I'm unaware of, it's not worth any more time and frustration.

omni

Unless there's some easy 'fix' to gain internet access that I'm unaware of, it's not worth any more time and frustration.

omni

If you were going to wipe them, I don't see you need internet access at this point. Did I miss something ?

Another option, depending on the brand/model is to do a factory restore. It will reformat the HD and reinstall the factory image like it came out of the box.

On most Dells, you press F11 during the boot process and it take you to recovery menu.

Thanks all for all the helpful replies.

At this point I'm wondering if the desktop may be on its deathbed and not worth any more effort. I decided to deal with the desktop first. After wasting 2 hours on trying to delete some of the larger files, etc. and get internet access. Neither firefox nor IE (both already loaded) seem to get me there. I know that the computer is able to access the web, as I am getting messages on various systemcare and malware programs about updating definitions and versions. I've run out of ideas as to what the issue may be.

omni
You're talking about your old (~9) EMachines desktop right?

I wouldn't worry about whether it can get network access now, under Win XP. To install Linux, you'll download the files and burn a DVD using your current Win 7 computer. The old one will boot from that disk, nothing on the hard drive makes any difference, it's all going to be wiped clean as part of the install.

Does that old desktop use a wired connection for Ethernet? If so, fine. If you try to do the install wirelessly, it may or may not support your wireless card straight from the install DVD, and in that case you'll want to connect wired. During the install, it will usually be able to automatically download any drivers needed for the wireless card (if you even use wireless on this desktop).

edit- crossposted with rbmrtn!

-ERD50

Omni,
There is no easy fix to remove all of the malware.

Is there anything you need to recover? If so, a Linux boot CD is your best bet. It will boot the system to a graphical interface. You'll likely be able to copy files to a USB stick or removable HD.

You're talking about your old (~9) EMachines desktop right?

I wouldn't worry about whether it can get network access now, under Win XP. To install Linux, you'll download the files and burn a DVD using your current Win 7 computer. The old one will boot from that disk, nothing on the hard drive makes any difference, it's all going to be wiped clean as part of the install.

Does that old desktop use a wired connection for Ethernet? If so, fine. If you try to do the install wirelessly, it may or may not support your wireless card straight from the install DVD, and in that case you'll want to connect wired. During the install, it will usually be able to automatically download any drivers needed for the wireless card (if you even use wireless on this desktop).

edit- crossposted with rbmrtn!

-ERD50

Yes, the eMachine. It has a wired connection to the internet.

I looked at the DVD-burning instructiuons and was unsure whether to burn it using the Win 7 instructions or the XP instructions....(remember, a total newbie here.) To be on the safe side, that's why I was trying to do the internet connection and burn the DVD on the eMachine.

From what I'm reading here, it sounds as though I should burn the DVD on my Win 7....using the XP instructions.

omni

If you were going to wipe them, I don't see you need internet access at this point. Did I miss something ?

Another option, depending on the brand/model is to do a factory restore. It will reformat the HD and reinstall the factory image like it came out of the box.

On most Dells, you press F11 during the boot process and it take you to recovery menu.

See my post directly above.

I don't think I need a factory restore at this point, just a wipe of the XP and then install the DVD that I will burn on my Win 7 machine...correct?

omni

Omni,
There is no easy fix to remove all of the malware.

Is there anything you need to recover? If so, a Linux boot CD is your best bet. It will boot the system to a graphical interface. You'll likely be able to copy files to a USB stick or removable HD.

Fortunately, I had a copy of all of the eMachine's files backed up onto a WD My Passport external backup. So that's one less issue at this point. :)

omni

See my post directly above.

I don't think I need a factory restore at this point, just a wipe of the XP and then install the DVD that I will burn on my Win 7 machine...correct?

omni

Download the linux ISO file with windows 7, burn it DVD, boot the XP machine with the DVD and install. Installing linux will "wipe" XP.

Download the linux ISO file with windows 7, burn it DVD, boot the XP machine with the DVD and install. Installing linux will "wipe" XP.

I'm in the midst of downloading the Cinnamon (Linux Mint) version (link was in an post above).

Will burn a DVD with the Win 7 unit, install DVD on XP machine and start it up.

omni

Fortunately, I had a copy of all of the eMachine's files backed up onto a WD My Passport external backup. So that's one less issue at this point. :)

omni
Torch that beast!

Repairing old computers is no fun. You'll get a large ego boost once Linux is up and running.

+1 on Ubuntu, but you really have to decide how much pain you want to deal with vice the processor speed/installed memory. A machine sold with XP is probably on the minimum edge of usability with either current Windows or current Linux, but probably will accept additional memory that will "kick the can down the road" a bit. And, your choice of linux will make a difference; Xubuntu is lighter weight but still functional, and thus a good choice.

I'm currently faced with having to build two machines for my grandkids to do homework and light, supervised web surfing while at our house. Our IT guys at work advised me to use Win8 with Start8 and ModernMix from Stardock; according to them Win8 is more useable than Win7 on light hardware (go figure) and the two Stardock addons ($10 for the two) turn it in to a Win7 work-alike. This, from our senior IT guy who uses Ubuntu at home. I think they should know; they're part of MegaCorp IT with a bazillion IT engineers dedicated to making sure we don't have to deal with computer issues instead of real work, and they're wringing the snot out Win8 right now before foisting it on us. No kidding, the best in the business, IMHO... I'm going to follow their guidance on these machines, simply to leave something supportable for wife/kids/grandkids if I am ever prevented from the task.

I just recycled a bunch of old hardware that I fought with 10-15 years ago; I couldn't even make a single usable machine out of the mess. Re-purposing old hardware is generally more work than it's worth, but there's a limited window in age where it can be worth the time.

Gosh, the Linux download is taking a while ...2.5 hours to go.

I've got a social engagment this evening, so the "torching of the beast" continues tomorrow. :LOL:

Who will be the victor/vanquished? Stay tuned.

Thanks, everyone, for the help.

omni

I 'donated' my last three older machines to co-workers who had children and terrible computers at home. Before that, in each case, I had converted them to Ubuntu for my own use. I've tried three different Linux versions, and Ubuntu was the version I could explain to DW the best.

I have a machine that dual boots win 7 and suse linux 13.1 Suse runs with about 470 mb and 13 gb of disk, Win 7 runs 1055 mb and 67 gb of disk. I also have a vanillia xp virtual box client which (with no anti virus or apps installed) runs about 100 mb and 6gb of disk.
So Suse beats win 7

I've just finished burning the Linux Mint DVD on my Win 7.

And now I'm wondering if its sheer size (1.2 GB) might be an issue on the old XP, as ggbutcher mentioned above? (Somewhere along the line, I had added some memory to the old eMachine, but IIRC it was severely limited in what could be added.)

Any thoughts (pro/con) before I proceed? Sounds like Ubuntu might take less system resources?

omni

Last edited:
I've just finished burning the Linux Mint DVD on my Win 7.

And now I'm wondering if its sheer size (1.2 GB) might be an issue on the old XP, as ggbutcher mentioned above? (Somewhere along the line, I had added some memory to the old eMachine, but IIRC it was severely limited in what could be added.)

Any thoughts (pro/con) before I proceed? Sounds like Ubuntu might take less system resources?
Keep in mind this is an installer DVD. You can check the minimum HD space required, and see if that fits within your existing HD. How large is the existing HD?
Other issue is RAM--how much RAM does the emachine have?
Maybe try an older release?

As one of my goals in this exercise is to learn a bit more about the tech side of things and develop some skills without the risk of trashing a 'good' computer, I thought I'd wipe the disk while waiting for responses as to which software I should install.

I downloaded DiskWipe onto a thumb drive and booted up the XP. As I attempted to wipe the XP's C drive, I am getting a message that says, "Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use." "Cannot format." I tried reading the DiskWipe FAQs and instructions, etc but am still lost. Any ideas?

omni

Keep in mind this is an installer DVD. You can check the minimum HD space required, and see if that fits within your existing HD. How large is the existing HD?
Other issue is RAM--how much RAM does the emachine have?
Maybe try an older release?

I believe the HD is 160GB and it has 1.93GB of RAM.

omni

As one of my goals in this exercise is to learn a bit more about the tech side of things and develop some skills without the risk of trashing a 'good' computer, I thought I'd wipe the disk while waiting for responses as to which software I should install.

I downloaded DiskWipe onto a thumb drive and booted up the XP. As I attempted to wipe the XP's C drive, I am getting a message that says, "Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use." "Cannot format." I tried reading the DiskWipe FAQs and instructions, etc but am still lost. Any ideas?

omni

Don't worry about it - you are making this more difficult than it is.

The installer will wipe the drive. Once you boot the old machine from the DVD, that old hard drive is just a piece of HW ready to be used be the installer. It won't be locked, as nothing else will be in control. Essentially, when you boot that DVD, you are running Linux from the DVD and from memory (RAM) - it just isn't installed yet. Linux can run in a small amount of RAM and will install in a small hard drive.

I see your post now - Linux can be very happy in a 160GB HD and 1.93GB of RAM.

-ERD50

I believe the HD is 160GB and it has 1.93GB of RAM.

omni

suse 13.1 needs about 500 mb of ram (at a minimum) and would run well at 1gb. It needs about 60 gb of disk. So the laptop should run well. (Assuming you are running it with an ethernet cable. There may well be an issue with wireless adapters.

omni
Diskwipe likley can not reformat a system disk. Since you had xp up, it could not wipe the os out (the os protects itself from committing suicide that way, e.g. it won't let you format C: .

omni

Ooops! When I read your first post I was thinking you had already pulled the drives and just wanted to wipe them. You need them attached to another PC to run the wipe tool. The system drive can not be wipe while it is active, sorry for the confusion.

The linux path will probably be quickest. The size of the DVD is not an issue, it is more of what is running after the install.

There are some linux distros designed for small system, puppy linux is one Puppy Linux Community Home - Getting Started

lubuntu is another lubuntu | lightweight, fast, easier

suse 13.1 needs about 500 mb of ram (at a minimum) and would run well at 1gb. It needs about 60 gb of disk. So the laptop should run well. (Assuming you are running it with an ethernet cable. There may well be an issue with wireless adapters.

Yes, as a follow-up to my earlier post, I just booted a fairly fresh install of the most recent Xubuntu (similar to Mint - I have not added much to this installation yet). After a fresh boot, and then opening a couple FireFox web pages (Google news and this site), and opening the spreadsheet and word processor, and File Manager, I'm using just under 500MB of RAM. Of course this will go up as you do more things (browsers in particular seem to leave some memory hanging after many windows/tabs are opened/closed) - but it gives you some idea. You can do a lot within 2GB of RAM (and then it will use swap space - very slow, but it will still work).

The system is only using 3.1GB of hard drive space, and I haven't stored away many of my own files yet, so my 'user' space is near zero.

So 2GB RAM will be fine, and 160GB of disk space means you will have most of that available for storing your own files. Even my highly modified, loaded up with tons of apps, daily system is only using <8GB in the system directory, though some of those apps also add things to my user space.

Summary - you'll be fine.

-ERD50

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom