Helping Tsunami Victims

J

johnblake

Does anyone have recommendations for charities that are helping the victims of the Tsunami in Asia?

I'm concerned that the most devastated region, northern Sumatra (including Banda Aceh), is the place where the Indonesian military is fighting local people. I don't want my contributions to be diverted because of political issues.

If you are still on the way to FIRE I would check and see if your company is providing any matching of donations. The company I work for is and so my donations are going through that program.

Yes, my company is matching 100% of all employee donations. Charities that are approved for matching are UNICEF, Save The Children, and American Red Cross.

Knowing my company...they have chosen these 3 charities carefully.

My company doesn't match (you would think with 300,000+ employees they could afford it) but I donated to the American Red Cross International fund. Doctors without borders were announcing Wednesday that they could not take any more donations.

There are a number of good charities out there but if you're stumped, consider Mercy Corps based out of Portland, Oregon. A friend of mine is the head of their communications division and she's overseas right now as part of the relief effort (and was interviewed on "Dateline" last night).

Mercy Corps was also featured on the front page of today's "New York Times" as part of a small group of charities that's spending some of their money hiring local, displaced people to help clean up and rebuild. www.mercycorps.org

It's a good group and not just because a friend works there.

One of my brothers is going over to Indonesia tomorrow with Qualcomm (his company). They've been involved in relief efforts, too, but they certainly don't need any money.

Back
Top Bottom