Join Early Retirement Today

Here come the Priuses
Old 01-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here come the Priuses

New Prius Model Line Debuts at 2011 Detroit Auto Show - New Toyota Prius v - RoadandTrack.com

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
gone traveling

Great, a naked commercial link. This just keeps getting better.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #3

easy, do you have one, considering buying one, or just wanted us to know? LOL!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our HOA provides security for the area. We are about to purchase a new car for them. Does the Prius make sencse? Our security vehicles go between 40 to 50 thousand miles a year, and most of the driving is under 30 miles per hour. We generally keep cars until they are worthless.

We would go through the 100,000 mile battery in less than three years.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rustic, this might provide some information: 2004 Toyota Prius - Long-Term Test Verdict Review - Motor Trend

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This might be even better: Toyota Prius: Tough Enough To Be A Taxi. Anywhere. - All About Prius

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Our HOA provides security for the area. We are about to purchase a new car for them. Does the Prius make sencse? Our security vehicles go between 40 to 50 thousand miles a year, and most of the driving is under 30 miles per hour. We generally keep cars until they are worthless.

An Escape hybrid might make more sense - it is a real SUV.

More Proof That Batteries Last: Ford Escape Hybrid Taxis Retire With 300,000-Plus Miles - Green Car Reports
Old 01-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Thanks easy, I looked at the link. I'm interested in the Prius V for the 60% more cargo space than the standard Prius, but the mpg penalty vs the standard Prius is more than I expected - 40mpg vs 50mpg combined.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
easy, do you have one, considering buying one, or just wanted us to know? LOL!
Sarah in SC,

I know a few folks who have a Prius and they love it.

My next car (don't know exactly when), will be one that is easy on gas, most likely a hybrid.

The one I've been lusting over is the upcoming Honda Fit Hybrid (that would match my needs fine), but I hear that's not gonna be available in the US anytime soon.

So I'm on the fence. When a new hybrid car comes to market, my ears perk up (hear there's gonna be a hybrid Ford Focus in the works..).
Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Thanks easy, I looked at the link. I'm interested in the Prius V for the 60% more cargo space than the standard Prius, but the mpg penalty vs the standard Prius is more than I expected - 40mpg vs 50mpg combined.

The Prius V does look nice. 40mpg still isn't bad for the cargo space.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My city, Winnipeg, is one of the coldest cities on the planet. Prius is the commonest brand among taxis. The economics work for high volume drivers. I've canvassed many taxi drivers, and they report no battery issues in the cold climate.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
snip............ When a new hybrid car comes to market, my ears perk up (hear there's gonna be a hybrid Ford Focus in the works..).
Unfortunately not. You will be able to buy a gas Focus, or an all-electric Focus, but if you want a hybrid Focus, you will have to: http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-—-buy-a-C-Max
Old 01-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post

I would take a look at how long the trips and cool down period is.
Cars get awful milage when warming up and hybrids are no exception.
If you have a 5 minute drive, then stop for 30(?) minutes the another 5 minute drive the mpg will suffer.
If the car runs all day irbid plugged into a heater it should be perfect.
Or if the trips are 20-30 minutes you should be in good shape.

How much cargo room do you need?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Unfortunately not. You will be able to buy a gas Focus, or an all-electric Focus, but if you want a hybrid Focus, you will have to: Ford: No need to develop a Focus hybrid — buy a C-Max | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Telly, thanks for the correction.

Actually something like the C-Max would fit me better as I'd much prefer the have a hatch type than a sedan.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31229_7...TheCarTechblog
Old 01-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #15

Oh, that looks tempting - Prius old style wasn't an option because of the space issues. I wish they would make a mazda5 hybrid! The Prius 5 would be better with sliding doors and 3rd row seat options (just like my mazda5)...the sliding doors are priceless when you have kids...
Old 01-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
FWIW our 2006 Prius hauls like a Ford Taurus station wagon. We've had no problem with appliances, 10' longboards, and even 800 pounds of wood/metal folding tables. (Of course that exceeds the car's max recommended hauling weight by about 150 pounds, but I'd do it again.) I'd have no trouble hauling most refrigerators as long as I had a good strong retaining strap on the part hanging out the open hatchback...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
So I'm on the fence. When a new hybrid car comes to market, my ears perk up (hear there's gonna be a hybrid Ford Focus in the works..).
Used Priuses of the 2005-7 vintage are frequently selling on Craigslist for under $15K. It's a good way to try before you commit to a new model, and if gas prices keep going up then you'll probably sell it for about what you paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I would take a look at how long the trips and cool down period is.
Cars get awful milage when warming up and hybrids are no exception.
If you have a 5 minute drive, then stop for 30(?) minutes the another 5 minute drive the mpg will suffer.
If the car runs all day irbid plugged into a heater it should be perfect.
Or if the trips are 20-30 minutes you should be in good shape.
I'm not sure what climate you're referring to, but the 2006 Prius (and probably the 2004-2009 generation) only run the engine for 45 seconds at startup because that's what the EPA wants for heating up the catalytic converter. After that warmup, for stop & go or short shopping trips the car decides whether it needs to run the engine.

While a conventional internal combustion engine wastes a lot of gas as it starts turning, the Prius ECU only puts gas in the engine when the engine is already spinning above 800 RPM. There's very little unburned gas going into the exhaust.

I don't know what the software triggers are for the cooldown on short shopping trips but 45 seconds doesn't seem so bad to me. However there's a small but vocal minority of PriusChat posters who install engine block heaters in their Prius for a 20-30-minute warmup before starting the car in the morning. That fools the ECU and avoids the 45-second EPA-mandated warmup... admittedly at the expense of a few hundred watts of electricity.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote