Hey Cut-Throat and Trout Bum!

SolidA

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi guys - I've been meaning to ask you about your fly fishing experiences. I learned to fly fish about a year ago (took a day long course - one of the best days I've ever had - caught a lot of brookies). And then a month later I went to Alaska and spent a day in Ketchikan on a fish and release stream for Salmon. Another good day!!

Anyway, learning to fly fish better is on my list of things to do during my lifetime - wondering if you had any insights into equipment, tying own flies vs. buying, good places to go fishin', etc. I am trying to talk my husband into learning with me (he grew up surfing in California, not fishing here in Minnesota) but so far he isn't too keen. If I can get him out even once, I know he'll be hooked (pun intended).

I still am a long way from ER, but figured I could practice now and get ready! :D

SolidA said:
I am trying to talk my husband into learning with me (he grew up surfing in California, not fishing here in Minnesota) but so far he isn't too keen.
Heck, send him over here to start a surfing thread...

REWahoo! said:
This topic has been moved to Other Topics.
I dunno, looking at Cut-Throat's lifestyle makes me wonder if fly-fishing could jeopardize both money and fire...

Guys around here feel lucky if their ahi & mahi sales pay for their gas, let alone their maintenance & insurance.

Thanks, Nords - I'll let him know!!!  Your next comment is why I originally posted this where I did. Cowabunga!!!!

Thank you for the reply. I took my class through Summit flyfishing in St. Paul. I'd like to take another class, or series of classes, if possible (since flyfishing is an art, I think, and not a sport, the quality of the class is important to me). Do you have any ideas, suggestions, etc. on where in the Cities something like this is available?? The staff at Summit was grand (tee-hee, since they are on Grand Av.) but the equipment prices... I appreciate your taking the time to help a neophyte out!!! Katie

YOU ARE AWESOME!!! Thank you for the great info. Sorry to hear Summit went out of business - hmm... wonder how much my Summit t-shirt is worth now?? Seriously, I really do appreciate your kindness. I am going to do some contacting and hopefully get back out on the stream this summer. Keep us posted as to your escapades so we can all live vicariously through you!!! P.S. I just realized in my first post that I said I'd taken the class last year - time flies when you are tying flies - it was 2 years ago. Ooops! Katie

Met this lady from Thunder Bay a few years ago, amazing at Fly Fishing, really knew her stuff, and her passion showed.

Many of these ladies don't have to take a back seat to the guys.

Something to aspire to!! Thanks, Maximillion! I can hardly wait to cast a line.

Back
Top Bottom