Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Hey market watchers
Old 11-17-2005, 10:07 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I track my portfolio in a pretty low-tech way.* I have an Excel spreadsheet that has columns for every account I have...mutual funds, the 401ks, Roth IRA, scottrade account, etc.* In the morning before the markets open up, I'll go to my various accounts online, get the totals, and type them into the Excel spreadsheet.
Wow!* That sounds like w@rk!* *I have the same sort of spreadsheet but only update it quarterly, or when I feel like it.* *In the mean time, I use Yahoo Finance.* I have input my accounts and it shows me current values on my homepage every morning.* I only have to update when I make a deposit or dividends are credited.* Close enough for me!

I made a resolution last year to buy (and drink) a bottle of good champagne at every $50k milestone.* I've been hovering about 2-3K under for months now* *

A few more days like today and I should be ready to pop a cork!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2005, 10:15 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I track stuff in MS Money nowadays because it came installed on the computer I use. Before that I used Quicken.

Fluctuations are routinely +-$5K daily. It's not uncommon to get a +-$15K like today and a +-$25K about 4 times a year.

How do I feel about that? It's made spending $25K on a vacation or car pretty easy to do. After all, I could get all that back in a day ... or lose it all tomorrow if I don't spend it today. Definitely made me less cheap.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
Fluctuations are routinely +-$5K daily.* It's not uncommon to get a +-$15K like today and a +-$25K about 4 times a year.
I just calculated that your porfolio size is around $3.5M. Was I close?
Old 11-18-2005, 02:34 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Use current version MS Money but as others have mentioned it does have drawbacks. Like the "lifetime planner" though.

One nice thing about working and kids and hobbies, etc, is that I don't look at numbers nearly as often. Looking at it daily seems crazy (self torture?). I generally do a 5 sec weekly glance and a peak at a few key holdings. Working my way closer to the Unclemick/C-T approach. Once a quarter viewing seems about right. On the other hand fun time planning is reviewed hourly 8)
Old 11-18-2005, 07:18 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
Brewer:

I have think about that.* Only a couple simple moving parts to that set up.* I'll get back to you.* Thanks again again.

--Greg
Greg:

I was thinking about this and I came up with another way to skin the cat. What you really want to do is borrow short and lend long, specifically to the gummint. If you were a financial institution, it would be really easy: use overnight or one week repos to buy 10 or 30 year treasuries. I don't know if you can do this as a retail client. If you did it paying margin interest rates, it would be a non-starter due to the ridiculously high margin rates most brokers charge. But at short term reverse repurchase rates, it would work pretty nicely. It might be worth calling whatever brokerage you use and ask them what they could do for you.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:22 AM   #26

Brewer: Thanks. I liked your 10% calls-90% Bonds idea, one teeter-totter with only the ends (time and interest rates) to watch. I'm setting up my options account today. Your spread idea, borrowing short-buying long was good though if leverage wasn't its own risk.

--Greg
Old 11-18-2005, 11:45 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
Brewer:* Thanks.* I liked your 10% calls-90% Bonds idea, one teeter-totter with only the ends (time and interest rates) to watch.* I'm setting up my options account today.* Your spread idea, borrowing short-buying long was good though if leverage wasn't its own risk. *

--Greg
Greg, that's all fine and well, but don't forget that options have implicit leverage that is very real. The big difference with options is that at leat your max loss is capped.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-18-2005, 01:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Greg, that's all fine and well, but don't forget that options have implicit leverage that is very real. The big difference with options is that at leat your max loss is capped.
I've started the process: I'm currently rereading all the relevant parts of my Investor's Desk Reference and plan to spend the next week working thru all the things that can go right (one) and all the things and purmutations that can go wrong (64,000,000 or so?) so that the only thing left to worry about are the things that I don't know enough about to worry about yet. I might do most of this work in the basement--away from DW.

--Greg

PS I just read the best "It's different this time' article I've ever seen (about RE). Interested?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:18 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Look up the Options Industry Council. If memory serves, they publish a lot of good information on options and I think they even run a toll-free hotline to answer questions.

- Will Rogers