Home espresso machine worth it or likely to collect dust?

You need to buy a special grind espresso like Illy Cafe pre-ground in a can. Then there is a remote chance you might get something like espresso, but I still don't see the point.

I have a grinder with an espresso setting.

Last edited:
We got one from our neighbour, tried it a few times and then gave it to our friend the winery manager.

Are their big differences in the brands? I saw a Mr. Coffee espresso machine at thrift shop but I didn't buy it since I have never tried espresso. As long as I have a garage I have room for new to me kitchen gadgets to try out. :)

The Mr. Coffee device you saw was likely a steam-driven device that doesn't make what aficionados would call espresso. I like coffee in all forms but would suggest you (or the OP in this older thread) at least purchase an entry-level pump-driven espresso machine.

Regulars on coffeegeek.com are truly obsessed, and if you're the least bit frugal you'd deem them borderline insane. From what I've read there they would be hard-pressed to find a sub-$1000 espresso machine coupled with a sub-$500 grinder acceptable.

Besides enjoying standard drip coffee prepared at home, I really enjoy being able to make myself a doppio (double espresso, rougly 60ml or 2oz) every night after dinner in a very inexpensive DeLonghi non-automated pump-driven espresso maker. Here is the DeLonghi BAR32 on amazon.com. My review of that maker on coffeegeek.com is here. It will also froth your milk but, again, it's not an automated machine. To me that's a Good Thing - less complications to break down.

I should add that even the coffee snobs have a soft spot for the totally manual Aeropress coffee maker. It doesn't make espresso (some folks have dubbed the drink "aeropresso") but it blows away drip coffee and is arguably tastier than the fancy pour-over techniques that are all the rage with urban hipsters. You can find the AeroPress for less than $30 on Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom