Join Early Retirement Today

Home Inventory Programs...
Old 06-22-2017, 05:25 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Home Inventory Programs...

I was wondering what programs you use for recording and categorizing the serial numbers and markings on the items you have. Have you found any good free shareware programs that are good? I am looking for a program that will store an inventory of the important items we have in the house and workshop.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why not just enter them in a spreadsheet, or even word processor (I think the cells of a spreadsheet are best though)? You can even insert pics and/or links to pics.

What would you gain with software?

-ERD50

ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

About 25 years ago, my MIL gave us a binder with spaces to put a photo and a brief description of the item. Very Old School. We didn't have much in the way of expensive possessions at the time, so it was easy to get started.

Over the years, as we got new "stuff" the first thing we did was jot down the serial/model number and take a picture. Never felt the need to change this method (and went thru a few computer crashes, so that might have posed a transfer problem).

Thank the Good Lord we never had to make a Claim for anything.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I confess that I don't have an inventory of items I own. Back when digital cameras just came out (remember the Sony Mavicas that used floppy disks?), I used a free software program and my goal was to keep pictures of stuff but this never took off for me. The "chore" seemed much too tedious for me.

Probably should work on this as a goal again, but as for now, my inventory consists of having an executor deal with my stuff when I pass on .
Old 06-22-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Best method I've found:

Walk through your home shooting video.
Keep up a running commentary to describe everything you're filming. Go through the place methodically, room by room.
Open every drawer, rummage through its contents. Closets, too.
Try to get closeups of the more valuable items. Read the serial numbers on items while you're shooting them.

It actually doesn't take as long to do this as you might think, and you can store the video and backup on a thumb drive or two, kept with your other valuable documents.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDriver View Post
About 25 years ago, my MIL gave us a binder with spaces to put a photo and a brief description of the item. Very Old School. We didn't have much in the way of expensive possessions at the time, so it was easy to get started.

Over the years, as we got new "stuff" the first thing we did was jot down the serial/model number and take a picture. Never felt the need to change this method (and went thru a few computer crashes, so that might have posed a transfer problem).

Thank the Good Lord we never had to make a Claim for anything.
Where do you keep the binder? What if that burns up in a fire, or if a thief happens to grab that too?

I back up my laptop so records kept on a computer won't get lost. You can put the file somewhere in the cloud or just email it to yourself so if your backup drive is damaged/stolen you still have the info.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The Binder fits in our Fire Proof Strong Box. The Thief can't carry the Strong Box cause he's got his eye on the Big TV.

The Cloud is probably the last place I'd put my records.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDriver View Post
The Binder fits in our Fire Proof Strong Box. The Thief can't carry the Strong Box cause he's got his eye on the Big TV.

The Cloud is probably the last place I'd put my records.
Sounds like a solid method to me.

This thread reminds me that I need to update my inventory.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Why not just enter them in a spreadsheet, or even word processor (I think the cells of a spreadsheet are best though)? You can even insert pics and/or links to pics.

-ERD50
I just have a text file right now. I'm going to create a file and add pics. Why do you think a spreadsheet is better than a word doc? Seems to me you can be a little more free form with a doc and use tables if you need the structure, but I wanted to see what I might be missing before I get started.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:11 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I just have a text file right now. I'm going to create a file and add pics. Why do you think a spreadsheet is better than a word doc? Seems to me you can be a little more free form with a doc and use tables if you need the structure, but I wanted to see what I might be missing before I get started.
No big difference, I just find the 'cells' in a SS provide some order for me, and if I keep the item info in a row, I can sort it. But whatever works for you. I'm lousy with tables in a word processing doc, I always screw 'em up! I guess I should learn.

I also agree that a video is a good way to go I did that years ago, should do it again. Easy to put in the cloud and on a thumb drive in a Safe Deposit Box these days.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

OK, mostly personal pref then.

The video sounds good, but harder to update. If I've got things listed in a file, I can add/delete easily. With video, you're either dealing with multiple files, or reshooting the whole thing. But again, personal pref.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Question for folks that keep up a home inventory ....

Where do you draw the line as to how much to record?

Only more valuable items? Or do you go in great detail as to what you own?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Question for folks that keep up a home inventory ....

Where do you draw the line as to how much to record?

Only more valuable items? Or do you go in great detail as to what you own?
Struggling with that myself. I think I'm pretty much going to list things, but with very little detail on things under $100 or $200 (not sure of the line yet). I want a reminder of what I had in case my home is devastated by fire and I have to come up with everything, but I'm just putting "double set of plates/bowls/flatware", and "blender, toaster, crockpot" with little or no detail on maker, value, etc. For things like fine china and silverware that has more value, and might be more of a target for thieves, I'll be much more specific.

I'm also going to rely on pictures too. I have an abundance of jackets and running shoes, so I'm going to take a picture of those type of things so I can say, "Yeah, I really did have 3 or 4 dozen pair of running shoes, see?"

I'll record serial numbers and specific make/model of stuff that might get stolen for tracking, like TVs and laptops. I've recorded the purchase date and price of my nicer furniture to give an idea of the quality.

I'm starting to see more value in the video idea. I might pan all my rooms as an extra documentation step. That could be a good reminder of smaller stuff without having to document them all.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
OK, mostly personal pref then.

The video sounds good, but harder to update. If I've got things listed in a file, I can add/delete easily. With video, you're either dealing with multiple files, or reshooting the whole thing. But again, personal pref.
True, but each room can be a separate video. You can even divide a room into quarters or some other subdivision. That makes updates much easier.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
True, but each room can be a separate video. You can even divide a room into quarters or some other subdivision. That makes updates much easier.
Yeah, I'm on the verge of doing a 180 on this. Shoot a separate video for each room, and add a file with some notes on the high ticket items, and maybe put model/serial # stuff there too.

Now I've got to clean the house first. Or at least one room at a time while I shoot video. Probably not a wasted effort.

Heck, probably half my stuff can be documented from my Amazon order history!

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't see it taking too long to shoot a video for the room, so if I get new furniture or a new TV or something, I can just shoot a new video for that room or add an extra video file, or update my notes file.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Struggling with that myself. I think I'm pretty much going to list things, but with very little detail on things under $100 or $200 (not sure of the line yet). I want a reminder of what I had in case my home is devastated by fire and I have to come up with everything, but I'm just putting "double set of plates/bowls/flatware", and "blender, toaster, crockpot" with little or no detail on maker, value, etc. For things like fine china and silverware that has more value, and might be more of a target for thieves, I'll be much more specific.

I'm also going to rely on pictures too. I have an abundance of jackets and running shoes, so I'm going to take a picture of those type of things so I can say, "Yeah, I really did have 3 or 4 dozen pair of running shoes, see?"

I'll record serial numbers and specific make/model of stuff that might get stolen for tracking, like TVs and laptops. I've recorded the purchase date and price of my nicer furniture to give an idea of the quality.

I'm starting to see more value in the video idea. I might pan all my rooms as an extra documentation step. That could be a good reminder of smaller stuff without having to document them all.
I see the purpose of keeping an inventory. But every year recording item donations for taxes is tedious enough and this sounds similar. I can think of many other things I'd rather do, so I procrastinate .
Old 06-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I can't see it taking too long to shoot a video for the room, so if I get new furniture or a new TV or something, I can just shoot a new video for that room or add an extra video file, or update my notes file.
You're very welcome. Certainly not my original idea, but I've always thought it made the most sense. If, for example, your home burned down (while you were away, of course), most people would have no idea what they lost. So making an insurance claim could be problematic for them, and they might have to settle for less than they really should get.

I use this system and update it by making a new video of a room whenever I think of it -- typically every 2-3 years.

Another handy tool is to occasionally download a copy of your Amazon order history. That will have lots of good information, such as price paid, date purchases, etc.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #18

My insurance company told me to video my home in case of a fire. I dont have the slightest idea why i would want a serial number to my fridge or stove, but they have them. When i call for warranty service they make me get out the magnifying glass and give it to them. My son did a video 5 years ago. I have zero idea where it is.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Although I haven't created a home inventory (oh the humanity) I have loaded several thousand records (cylinder and disc) into a spreadsheet I specifically created for that purpose. Very easy now to search and sort.

So I also endorse the spreadsheet approach.

I might suggest to the OP to browse around the net and maybe find a free home inventory template or two that might do the trick. You could always modify it for your own specific needs.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
ERD...I was just wondering if there was some program out there that was easy to use and maybe you guys knew of one. Thought I would ask first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post
Although I haven't created a home inventory (oh the humanity) I have loaded several thousand records (cylinder and disc) into a spreadsheet I specifically created for that purpose. Very easy now to search and sort.

So I also endorse the spreadsheet approach.

I might suggest to the OP to browse around the net and maybe find a free home inventory template or two that might do the trick. You could always modify it for your own specific needs.

_B
Beldar...The spreadsheet approach that you guys mention may be the ticket. But, I will search around, and see if there is something easy. It looks like most are doing spreadsheets and videos.

Tags
inventory program