Home Inventory Programs...

Redbugdave

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was wondering what programs you use for recording and categorizing the serial numbers and markings on the items you have. Have you found any good free shareware programs that are good? I am looking for a program that will store an inventory of the important items we have in the house and workshop.

Why not just enter them in a spreadsheet, or even word processor (I think the cells of a spreadsheet are best though)? You can even insert pics and/or links to pics.

What would you gain with software?

-ERD50

About 25 years ago, my MIL gave us a binder with spaces to put a photo and a brief description of the item. Very Old School. We didn't have much in the way of expensive possessions at the time, so it was easy to get started.

Over the years, as we got new "stuff" the first thing we did was jot down the serial/model number and take a picture. Never felt the need to change this method (and went thru a few computer crashes, so that might have posed a transfer problem).

Thank the Good Lord we never had to make a Claim for anything.

I confess that I don't have an inventory of items I own. Back when digital cameras just came out (remember the Sony Mavicas that used floppy disks?), I used a free software program and my goal was to keep pictures of stuff but this never took off for me. The "chore" seemed much too tedious for me.

Probably should work on this as a goal again, but as for now, my inventory consists of having an executor deal with my stuff when I pass on :(.

Last edited:
Best method I've found:

Walk through your home shooting video.
Keep up a running commentary to describe everything you're filming. Go through the place methodically, room by room.
Open every drawer, rummage through its contents. Closets, too.
Try to get closeups of the more valuable items. Read the serial numbers on items while you're shooting them.

It actually doesn't take as long to do this as you might think, and you can store the video and backup on a thumb drive or two, kept with your other valuable documents.

About 25 years ago, my MIL gave us a binder with spaces to put a photo and a brief description of the item. Very Old School. We didn't have much in the way of expensive possessions at the time, so it was easy to get started.

Over the years, as we got new "stuff" the first thing we did was jot down the serial/model number and take a picture. Never felt the need to change this method (and went thru a few computer crashes, so that might have posed a transfer problem).

Thank the Good Lord we never had to make a Claim for anything.

Where do you keep the binder? What if that burns up in a fire, or if a thief happens to grab that too?

I back up my laptop so records kept on a computer won't get lost. You can put the file somewhere in the cloud or just email it to yourself so if your backup drive is damaged/stolen you still have the info.

The Binder fits in our Fire Proof Strong Box. The Thief can't carry the Strong Box cause he's got his eye on the Big TV.

The Cloud is probably the last place I'd put my records.

The Binder fits in our Fire Proof Strong Box. The Thief can't carry the Strong Box cause he's got his eye on the Big TV.

The Cloud is probably the last place I'd put my records.

Sounds like a solid method to me.

This thread reminds me that I need to update my inventory.

Why not just enter them in a spreadsheet, or even word processor (I think the cells of a spreadsheet are best though)? You can even insert pics and/or links to pics.

-ERD50

I just have a text file right now. I'm going to create a file and add pics. Why do you think a spreadsheet is better than a word doc? Seems to me you can be a little more free form with a doc and use tables if you need the structure, but I wanted to see what I might be missing before I get started.

I just have a text file right now. I'm going to create a file and add pics. Why do you think a spreadsheet is better than a word doc? Seems to me you can be a little more free form with a doc and use tables if you need the structure, but I wanted to see what I might be missing before I get started.

No big difference, I just find the 'cells' in a SS provide some order for me, and if I keep the item info in a row, I can sort it. But whatever works for you. I'm lousy with tables in a word processing doc, I always screw 'em up! I guess I should learn.

I also agree that a video is a good way to go I did that years ago, should do it again. Easy to put in the cloud and on a thumb drive in a Safe Deposit Box these days.

-ERD50

OK, mostly personal pref then.

The video sounds good, but harder to update. If I've got things listed in a file, I can add/delete easily. With video, you're either dealing with multiple files, or reshooting the whole thing. But again, personal pref.

Question for folks that keep up a home inventory ....

Where do you draw the line as to how much to record?

Only more valuable items? Or do you go in great detail as to what you own?

Question for folks that keep up a home inventory ....

Where do you draw the line as to how much to record?

Only more valuable items? Or do you go in great detail as to what you own?

Struggling with that myself. I think I'm pretty much going to list things, but with very little detail on things under $100 or $200 (not sure of the line yet). I want a reminder of what I had in case my home is devastated by fire and I have to come up with everything, but I'm just putting "double set of plates/bowls/flatware", and "blender, toaster, crockpot" with little or no detail on maker, value, etc. For things like fine china and silverware that has more value, and might be more of a target for thieves, I'll be much more specific.

I'm also going to rely on pictures too. I have an abundance of jackets and running shoes, so I'm going to take a picture of those type of things so I can say, "Yeah, I really did have 3 or 4 dozen pair of running shoes, see?"

I'll record serial numbers and specific make/model of stuff that might get stolen for tracking, like TVs and laptops. I've recorded the purchase date and price of my nicer furniture to give an idea of the quality.

I'm starting to see more value in the video idea. I might pan all my rooms as an extra documentation step. That could be a good reminder of smaller stuff without having to document them all.

OK, mostly personal pref then.

The video sounds good, but harder to update. If I've got things listed in a file, I can add/delete easily. With video, you're either dealing with multiple files, or reshooting the whole thing. But again, personal pref.

True, but each room can be a separate video. You can even divide a room into quarters or some other subdivision. That makes updates much easier.

True, but each room can be a separate video. You can even divide a room into quarters or some other subdivision. That makes updates much easier.

Yeah, I'm on the verge of doing a 180 on this. Shoot a separate video for each room, and add a file with some notes on the high ticket items, and maybe put model/serial # stuff there too.

Now I've got to clean the house first. Or at least one room at a time while I shoot video. Probably not a wasted effort. :blush:

Heck, probably half my stuff can be documented from my Amazon order history!

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't see it taking too long to shoot a video for the room, so if I get new furniture or a new TV or something, I can just shoot a new video for that room or add an extra video file, or update my notes file.

Struggling with that myself. I think I'm pretty much going to list things, but with very little detail on things under $100 or $200 (not sure of the line yet). I want a reminder of what I had in case my home is devastated by fire and I have to come up with everything, but I'm just putting "double set of plates/bowls/flatware", and "blender, toaster, crockpot" with little or no detail on maker, value, etc. For things like fine china and silverware that has more value, and might be more of a target for thieves, I'll be much more specific.

I'm also going to rely on pictures too. I have an abundance of jackets and running shoes, so I'm going to take a picture of those type of things so I can say, "Yeah, I really did have 3 or 4 dozen pair of running shoes, see?"

I'll record serial numbers and specific make/model of stuff that might get stolen for tracking, like TVs and laptops. I've recorded the purchase date and price of my nicer furniture to give an idea of the quality.

I'm starting to see more value in the video idea. I might pan all my rooms as an extra documentation step. That could be a good reminder of smaller stuff without having to document them all.

I see the purpose of keeping an inventory. But every year recording item donations for taxes is tedious enough and this sounds similar. I can think of many other things I'd rather do, so I procrastinate :(.

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't see it taking too long to shoot a video for the room, so if I get new furniture or a new TV or something, I can just shoot a new video for that room or add an extra video file, or update my notes file.

You're very welcome. Certainly not my original idea, but I've always thought it made the most sense. If, for example, your home burned down (while you were away, of course), most people would have no idea what they lost. So making an insurance claim could be problematic for them, and they might have to settle for less than they really should get.

I use this system and update it by making a new video of a room whenever I think of it -- typically every 2-3 years.

Another handy tool is to occasionally download a copy of your Amazon order history. That will have lots of good information, such as price paid, date purchases, etc.

My insurance company told me to video my home in case of a fire. I dont have the slightest idea why i would want a serial number to my fridge or stove, but they have them. When i call for warranty service they make me get out the magnifying glass and give it to them. My son did a video 5 years ago. I have zero idea where it is.

Although I haven't created a home inventory (oh the humanity) I have loaded several thousand records (cylinder and disc) into a spreadsheet I specifically created for that purpose. Very easy now to search and sort.

So I also endorse the spreadsheet approach.

I might suggest to the OP to browse around the net and maybe find a free home inventory template or two that might do the trick. You could always modify it for your own specific needs.

_B

-ERD50

ERD...I was just wondering if there was some program out there that was easy to use and maybe you guys knew of one. Thought I would ask first.

Although I haven't created a home inventory (oh the humanity) I have loaded several thousand records (cylinder and disc) into a spreadsheet I specifically created for that purpose. Very easy now to search and sort.

So I also endorse the spreadsheet approach.

I might suggest to the OP to browse around the net and maybe find a free home inventory template or two that might do the trick. You could always modify it for your own specific needs.

_B

Beldar...The spreadsheet approach that you guys mention may be the ticket. But, I will search around, and see if there is something easy. It looks like most are doing spreadsheets and videos.

ERD...I was just wondering if there was some program out there that was easy to use and maybe you guys knew of one. Thought I would ask first.
Sure, I was just wondering what advantages you think a program might have. I'm having trouble thinking of anything for a simple list.

-ERD50

The software geek in me built a rough home inventory web application that I run in my home "data center" :). It is a Java application running in a Linux webserver, with a front end that I use to input or query data (including pictures and video snippets, actually pointers to them as they reside in Google Drive). The items are stored in a database. I can also export queries as a .CSV file for use in spreadsheets.

I also have a home inventory video, I extract the items pictures from it, rather than take a separate set of pictures... I also segment the video into room sections. I only do this every couple of years so it is not a large amount of time.

I wrote the application more as a practical exercise in learning how to integrate web and database technologies, but it works for me. I can get to it from any system in the house, and the database is backed up in "the cloud"... now I am thinking of putting a mobile app in front of it. Geeks alive! :)

My feeling is unless certain items in your home are very valuable, it's not worth the effort to document the total inventory. Our insurance company provides a lump sum for "dwelling contents" and that sum is large enough for us to replace everything. We do have an insurance rider on DW's diamonds ring, but that's it.

BTW, we are not materialistic and don't have expensive furniture, antiques or paintings in our home. Actually, a loss would be a good thing as we could get all new stuff (just kidding, of course).:LOL:

My last home inventory is on 35mm slides :LOL:

I do have a drawer with the instructions for about everything that came with instructions. Yeah, if the place burned-down completely, these would be gone, but they are in the corner of the basement, so might survive. I also have an off-site backup of my financial software that has every purchase we ever made.

But I'm not going to fret over not having an inventory for a few reasons. First, I don't think I'd have trouble proving that I had enough stuff to hit the dollar limit, especially when one considers there's limitations on some categories. Anything collectable, they don't give you much for unless you've got a rider for it, for instance. So even if you've got documentation that you had 1000 collectable widgets, worth an average of $20 each, with pictures and a spreadsheet, there is probably some "gotcha" where they only give you $1,000 or something.

Related to all this, how does insurance actually work? Do you add up replacement cost of all this stuff?

Very few people have been unfortunate enough to have had to got through a big loss, so I don't know. I'm pretty sure we have replacement cost, but also have a high deductible. And we don't have much really high end stuff, and most of it is pretty old. Even my higher-end stereo stuff is in the 'great sound for the money' category, not the nose-bleed price level. TVs (even the BIG TV is less than $1,000 to replace now), furniture, computers, musical instruments (all pretty old and not collectibles).

It would be a pain to replace it all (hmmm, or maybe not? everything would match?), and I guess it all adds up, but it all seems pretty typical (if you have a 4 bedroom home, you are going to have 4 bedrooms of at least those basics). Do ins cos want a detailed list?

I'd hate to call my ins place, then have a fire the next week! That would look suspicious!

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom