96 Gallon rolling bin for disaster supplies?

More Cowbell

Full time employment: Posting here.
Over the decades, I have collected a number of disaster supplies specific for my region. These were stored in bins around the house and garage shelves. Unfortunately, many bins were repurposed, plus DH likes to move stuff around and not tell me.

I now have an unused 96 gallon rolling bin like the type used for automated trash and recycling pickup that I’d like to use for outdoor storage of bulkier disaster supplies. (No snow and under eaves.) I also have lid covers to keep out rain and debris and deter accidental usage.

Examples of items I am thinking of storing include the never-been-used pail toilet kit, privacy tent, folding shovel, etc. that are taking up desirable storage space elsewhere. Not go-bags or anything of high value. However, bins of this type are very deep, much bigger than a round trash container. Perishables like water or canned food would be a retrieval issue due to weight.

If anyone uses such a setup, how do you get things out from the bottom of the container without throwing out your back?

Tip n' dump I'd imagine. If there is a disaster I'd be dumping and sorting after - probably would want to use or refresh my memory of what's in there. If it's a disaster probably going to be focused on that gear rather than the interweb or tv anyway.

Been a couple years since I looked at a 5-gallon go-bucket I made up. Don't remember if it has .22 shells and a bunch of $1 bills with the MREs or what. Oughta dump and refill the plastic 50 gallon drums of water too...

If throwing your back out is a concern maybe try a smaller size. They come in 32, 48, and64 gal size also. Never seen the 96er. I would think just laying it on it’s side as suggested above might help but it could still be too heavy and a smaller bin would be easier. I use many 30-40 gallon bins w/o wheels to store all kinds of stuff. Garden supplies, mulch, yard toys, etc. sometimes I use drum liners for moisture control.

+1. I have two 96-gallon trash containers, and use one for yard waste. Their advantage is that they are fairly easy to lug on a flat surface, even when heavy. If something fell in there and I needed it, I'd tip it backward on its wheels till it fell over. Might be messy, but you'd have your goods.

Can you lie the container on it's side and pull them out that way?

Thanks everybody!

The 96 gallon wheeled bin “is what it is,” I want to make do with what I’ve got, and be able to handle it by myself. Simpler is better. I’ve tipped empty 96 gallon rolling bins on their back, but didn’t want to scatter things, especially heavy items onto the hinged lid. If it comes to it, these lids are replaceable. Prefer not to incur unneeded lid replacement expense when periodically checking contents.

I hadn’t thought about drum liners! I quickly searched and found there’s thicker (1.2 mm) clear ones for 96mm that come in minimum quantity of 25. Probably there’s some mesh netting available that I put around the outside of the bag so I can drag it out without breaking the bag. (DH just installed mesh netting on the overhead garage storage, can’t have bins falling on the cars!) Or maybe craft something out of paracord?

Keep those ideas coming, I’d love to hear them!

Those bins also come in 64-gallon size. They're about a foot shorter, but not a lot smaller in the other two dimensions.

The premise is that just because you own one of these awkward containers it has to be the container used for these supplies? OK, your call.

If I were doing it, I would shop CraigsList and Facebook Maketplace for used shipping containers, typically military surplus or for used Pelican cases. These will have more convenient clamshell or similar opening options and gasket seals when closed. This type of thing shows up fairly often in our area at various price points. The military stuff will be ugly and well used. The Pelican type cases are typically in better shape but more money. There are also "road cases" apparently used by musicians but I don't know much about the sealing on those. They do look tough.

The premise is that just because you own one of these awkward containers it has to be the container used for these supplies? OK, your call.

If I were doing it, I would shop CraigsList and Facebook Maketplace for used shipping containers, typically military surplus or for used Pelican cases. These will have more convenient clamshell or similar opening options and gasket seals when closed. This type of thing shows up fairly often in our area at various price points. The military stuff will be ugly and well used. The Pelican type cases are typically in better shape but more money. There are also "road cases" apparently used by musicians but I don't know much about the sealing on those. They do look tough.

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually have heavy-duty gasketed footlockers and Rubbermaid Roughneck totes already. Still, FEMA lists trash cans as one suggested method for storage of emergency supplies. There are even places online that sell these rolling containers kitted out for emergency supplies.

I’m looking to use this spare rolling container for storage, but it’s so deep. Currently liking the idea of a net around a clear plastic liner to fish out the contents without scattering them after tipping it backwards.

I doubt there’s a way to make access convenient using an upright container like a 96 gal trash can. If you need that much cuft, I’d be looking for a dock box, footlocker on wheels or the like. I’m all for reusing what you have if possible, but sometimes it doesn’t make sense.

For what it's worth, I prefer my long term "survival" food in #10 cans since they're rodent proof.
But, "I know a guy" who goes to auctions in Las Vegas and have bought a couple of the surplus containers. These are great for storing food stuffs that aren't in cans to keep rodents out of them. Can't think of the brands but they come in different sizes with foam cutouts inside that are easily removed.

... I hadn’t thought about drum liners! ...

How about using multiple liners (i.e. bags)?

Put ~1/4th of your stuff in one bag, tie it off, toss it in the bottom. Repeat.
You can then take your stuff out in easier-to-access chunks.

Might tie a small cord around the bottom bag, and secure that up top, since that one might be hard to reach.

The principal advantage as I see things with the 96 gallon waste container is they are UV resistant and can sit in the sun for years without degrading.

Back
Top Bottom