Homemade drain opener

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The shower drain was a bit clogged. I didn't have a Zip-It (which I find very helpful) handy and really don't like to use strong chemicals such as Drano.

So, I did a quick surf on the internet for a household solution. The solution called for

1) put 1/2 cup baking soda in drain

2) add 1/2 cup white vinegar

3) cover drain opening (the mixing of the two will fizz on contact) for about 30 minutes

4) add one pot of boiling water

The recipe worked :). The clog might not be totally removed yet, but the drain definitely runs better. I guess the fizzing action helps clear out the stoppage and the hot water pushes the action down in the drain.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5598360_recipe-clogged-drain-opener.html

Last edited:
Yep, that's what I use to clean the drains in my house. It works well.

Same principle used in older soda-acid fire extinguishers, which have been around since I was a kid -- probably longer. Works well, for fires and opening drains.

Glad it worked for you. Sounds like an easy remedy with typical household supplies.

We use this, too. Helps to do it regularly -- whenever you notice the drain is draining slowly.

lhamo

We use this, too. Helps to do it regularly -- whenever you notice the drain is draining slowly.

lhamo

+1 - this really does help, but is unlikely to clear a complete stoppage. Regular use on slow drains will often keep them working just fine.

I know someone in the drain unclogging business, and they do this in their own home.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom