Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Hot Hot Hot
Old 07-25-2006, 03:54 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Hot and muggy here, too. Pushing 100 ( I think it got to 98) at my house, but at least we get relief at night. That whole house fan I had installed is working like a dream. Quieter than the air conditioner, too. We shut every window up at 7:00 am and hold in the cold as long as we can. Turn on the air around 3:00, off at 6:00, turn on the whole house fan for the next 12 hours and repeat.

Oh, and when I came home last night from work, I find DW and Tori have just returned from a day at the beach. DW has the nerve to say, "boy, laying out at the beach wiped me out!". This is the part where I feel good about providing for my family, right?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
DW has the nerve to say, "boy, laying out at the beach wiped me out!". This is the part where I feel good about providing for my family, right?
Whatever works to keep up your...self esteem while she lounges at the beach and still brings home more $ than you do (or so you've told us).

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:05 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

In Gross, that's absolutely true! Those self employment taxes are killer though, in the end I net a little more in 40 than she does in 20.

So who's the loser now! Yeah, I thought so....
Old 07-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You know you're in Texas when....

You no longer associate bridges over rivers with water.

You discover, in July it only takes two fingers to drive your car, because your steering wheel is so hot.

The best parking is determined by shade ..... not distance.

Hotter water comes from the cold water tap than the hot one.

You actually burn your hand opening the car door.

When fabric is considered the deluxe interior, rather than stick-to-your-seat leather.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

4:10 PM: The temp is creaping right up to 74 F
Old 07-25-2006, 06:27 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
Hotter water comes from the cold water tap than the hot one.
No kidding...I took a hot shower this morning without even turning on the hot water...

To get cold water to refill the dog bowls, I have to go out and turn on the hose out back (last thing on the cold water pipe line) and let it run 5-10 minutes. Then what I get is the city water standard temp, which is about 85 degrees right now.

Drained half my pool and refilled it yesterday, and it was warmer afterwards...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:55 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm on a motorcycle trip and was in Richland, Oregon just south of Hell's Canyon last Saturday and it was 100 at 2:00 pm... way too hot to be riding a bike... had to wear gloves because the hand clutch and brake levers which are black were too hot to handle.

I stopped at the local Saloon and the a/c could only muster 84 but the beer was cold... got a room in a motel in the next block and stayed for the night.

I'm in Rapid City, SD and it was 94.

Gonzo
Old 07-25-2006, 08:35 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

FYI, for those of you outside the area: Hell's Canyon is on the Snake River. The Snake River forms the border between OR and ID.

Idaho weather.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:51 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Buy a plane ticket.

Tropical Storm Daniel has stalled off the Big Island, which means the tradewinds have died and the air is almost completely still. It got up to 90 degrees today and it's pretty humid. (So I volunteered to take our kid to the dentist's appointment and the library.) Lots of clouds & overcast with some drizzle, but next week it's going to be raining like crazy... rotating shower bands will dump an inch of rain every couple hours for two or three days.

My nephew the Army Ranger is spending his six weeks' cadet summer training with a Schofield Barracks engineer's battalion. He's been staying with us but they're planning to spend next week out in the field (the Waianae range). He loves Hawaii so far but he may be gargling a different tune next week.

But let's cut to the important meteorological/oceanographic phenomenon-- TS Daniel will push east shore surf up to eight feet, and we'll get some wraparound on the south!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:10 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
No kidding...I took a hot shower this morning without even turning on the hot water...

To get cold water to refill the dog bowls, I have to go out and turn on the hose out back (last thing on the cold water pipe line) and let it run 5-10 minutes.* Then what I get is the city water standard temp, which is about 85 degrees right now.

Drained half my pool and refilled it yesterday, and it was warmer afterwards...
When we used to visit my inlaws in Florida, doing the laundry on cold was the same as doing the laundry on warm here. Our cold water is almost painfully cold and never warms up.

I may take up Greg's offer of a lake superior swim. The surface temperature of the big lake yesterday near our house was 57 degrees. Across the lake in Cornicopia, Wisconsin, it was only 37 degrees. Wind must have been from the south and blew the warmer water up here.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:22 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Wow - all these paths crossing! We're heading to Hell's Canyon today - though Richland. Maybe it won't be as hot today....

It was nice and cool in the mountains yesterday - 75 degrees at 7000 feet. Yum!

Audrey
Old 07-29-2006, 06:31 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

We are spending a few days on the edge of lake Superior down by Washburn, Wisconsin. Yesterday was a record high for my home town: 97 degrees. Even hotter down here. We went motorcycling, stopped at a lake, took off our shoes and jumped in clothes and all. Got back on to ride more.

Last night we had a dramatic thunderstorm. Someone's screen tent got toasted by lightning. Got up to temperatures in the 60s and the day has been in the low 70s with a nice off lake breeze. Oh man, I could have laid down in the dirt and kissed the earth. I feel so darn good to be cool. 8)

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:38 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

6:00 pm - 100 degrees in the shade on the front porch - even the dogs like the a/c - still have half the lawn to mow - manyana.

NW Missouri.

heh heh heh
Old 07-29-2006, 08:12 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
6:00 pm - 100 degrees in the shade on the front porch - even the dogs like the a/c - still have half the lawn to mow - manyana.

NW Missouri.

heh heh heh
My goldern retriever usually spends the mornings in the back yard but for the last couple of months she scratches at the back door wanting in. The dog has become soft like me.*
Old 07-29-2006, 08:47 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Usually the dog gets his summer crew cut when I get mine and we let our hair grow out toward the fall - however the low price special last summer - dog version of skinhead got nixed this year - so the golden stayed long. May yet take him to the groomer - august lies ahead.

heh heh heh
Old 07-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
We are spending a few days on the edge of lake Superior down by Washburn, Wisconsin. Yesterday was a record high for my home town: 97 degrees. Even hotter down here. We went motorcycling, stopped at a lake, took off our shoes and jumped in clothes and all. Got back on to ride more.

Last night we had a dramatic thunderstorm. Someone's screen tent got toasted by lightning. Got up to temperatures in the 60s and the day has been in the low 70s with a nice off lake breeze. Oh man, I could have laid down in the dirt and kissed the earth. I feel so darn good to be cool. 8)
The above is quoted from the soon to be published "Adventures of a Weather Wuss" by the noted author Martha Haig.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:01 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
The dog has become soft like me.
That sometimes happens when you turn 52. Happy b-day.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:38 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was up in the Lake Tahoe area for a couple weeks? Was it that hot in the valley?

Oh sorry I didnt notice
Old 07-30-2006, 08:02 AM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
The above is quoted from the soon to be published "Adventures of a Weather Wuss" by the noted author Martha Haig.
And it required Alexander Graig to accomplish.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:45 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
That sometimes happens when you turn 52.* Happy b-day.

Thank you. Also on the back stretch of my last year at work. Lots to look forward to. Today, go to my mothers for lunch and a nice mandarin orange b'day cake. Very good summer cake. Golf this afternoon. Ahhhhh......the good life.*