How can an American live in Vancouver, BC

Wonder why the CDN gov't stopped allowing citizens of other nations (including US) to retire to Canada....since mostly what they would be doing is spending $ there. Since they didn't work there...wouldn't qualify for medical. And there are many US retirees with retiree medical and probably medicare...who would return to US for any medical work.

Wonder why the CDN gov't stopped allowing citizens of other nations (including US) to retire to Canada....since mostly what they would be doing is spending $ there. Since they didn't work there...wouldn't qualify for medical.

Um, not true (at least not in Alberta). Government of Alberta - Programs and Services - Living in Alberta - Health for Immigrants - Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan

You can apply for healthcare coverage after moving to Alberta...doesn't saying anything about having to be employed.

In BC, it is a 90-day waiting period to qualify for medical insurance. That applies to you no matter where you come from, even Alberta.

Canada has a problem with admitting people and making them "second class" citizens by denying them benefits. It is similar to how the US treats illegal aliens. Just being a resident gets you certain universal benefits, e.g. seniors' benefits

The welcome mat is not out for deserters because they volunteered for duty.

This is yet to be determined. The official logic behind the denial of the AWOL soldiers' petition was that although US soldiers might (and have) been ordered to commit war crimes in Iraq, if they did so they would not be prosecuted because they were merely foot soldiers. Therefore they would not qualify as refugees.

However, on June 3, the House of Commons passed a resolution calling on the government to allow them to stay and provide a path to permanent residency. See

War Resisters Support Campaign

It's difficult to see the Harper minority government honouring this resolution, and it is obviously not a confidence issue (or the government would have fallen). It does, however show that there is some sympathy for such people, even though were are not conscripted.

lazy,

There is a special category for [something like] personal caregivers if one were interested in immigration. I know you took care of your mom, but this would be business. Not the same thing at all, but perhaps manageable. It is a way in, often successfully used by desperate 3rd-world people. The point being that it is an accepted--and not very critically examined--mechanism for entry and Permanent Residency. There are other categories which would astound an American that will go unmentioned here.

Instead, consider summer in Canada and winter in Florida. (Wait--hasn't this been done before??)

I think you would get along fine in Canada, weather permitting. ;) If East Indians ("South Asians" is the new buzz-word) can do it, a Floridian can. Canada is also a fairly mellow place for unconventional folks. I am comfortable here, but I am crazy (just not violent).

Consider an extended visit. Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal to start with. Why not? But, be careful. Canada isn't Oz, regardless of the natives ability to ignore reality. (No offense. I manage to ignore a large part of reality myself. I do arrange it so that it is not fatal or damaging to my pocketbook, however. So far.)

Cheers,

Gypsy

Back
Top Bottom