How can an American live in Vancouver, BC

dumpster56

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Wondering, since retiring to Canada is not allowed by the Canadian government, how can an American do it? Buying real estate, or renting etc.

Any info would be appreciated.

You can live in Canada for up to 6 months without a visa. When I have enough money, I'll have one condo in Canada for summer and one in Florida for winter.

Put a needle in your arm and flop in the park. No one will bother you.

Or smoke pot in public at noon on a workday. Strange, but no one bothered that guy either. I can't believe what these apparently straight-laced Canadians can be up to on any given day.

Last edited:
You can live in Canada for up to 6 months without a visa. When I have enough money, I'll have one condo in Canada for summer and one in Florida for winter.

You should rent the one in Canada, especially in Vancouver, unless you wait for the real estate bubble to burst.

Marry a Canadian...

I did a quick look online as I thought it would be easy for our Southern Neighbours to live amongst us in their golden years but apparently not. There were "retirement" visas issued in years past but no longer. One more reason to hold onto my citizenship!

DD

Join the Army and then go AWOL. The Canadians will roll out the red carpet for you.

Funny how no other countries want Americans!! Heck I have plenty of money a pension and SS soon and would not be a burden on any government.

Funny how no other countries want Americans!!

I suspect most countries don't want people that are around to collect retirement benefits without having contributed to GDP for that country.

Otherwise, for a working American, the path to moving to Canada didn't seem all that horrible.

Funny how no other countries want Americans!!

Would you be eager to invite in a houseguest who barges in at 3AM, craps on your living room floor, shoots at your neighbors, writes "dick" in gasoline on your lawn and ignites it, and then tells you how you are ruining your life and you'd better shape up or he'll kick your ass?

Would you be eager to invite in a houseguest who barges in at 3AM, craps on your living room floor, shoots at your neighbors, writes "dick" in gasoline on your lawn and ignites it, and then tells you how you are ruining your life and you'd better shape up or he'll kick your ass?

:D

Nice..

Put a needle in your arm and flop in the park. No one will bother you.

Plus you will only need to invest in one needle--East Hastings has a needle exchange.

Seriously, I think there is an entrepreneurial immigration class. If you are willing to invest $400,000 in a business, and don't have serious health problems, I think you can do it.

check out

Immigrating to Canada: Entrepreneurs and investors

Of course, that might not be your idea of retirement....

not sure where i read it or if is true but i recall somewhere something about canadian provinces being able to sponsor immigrants to allow for permanent residency. i don't know what is required to secure such sponsorship, but that might be one route.

lazy,

There is such a program, but it applies to workers with skills in demand. The provincial program ties you to your employer. The national program is slower, but you are not tied to one employer.

Citizens from NAFTA countries with critical skills can get a NAFTA work permit after we show a job offer in writing with justification. A work permit enables you to apply for Permanent Residency on your own.

The key items are
a) NAFTA and
b) critical job skills (certain kinds of engineer, etc,)

ah, well, as i've never managed to develop transferable skills worthy to command respectable salary, it is a good thing that i've also never quite taken to the cold.

Wow man, I feel sorry if that's what you think of this country. There are a lot of other places to live you know.

I suppose the tens of millions of people living freely because of the generosity of Americans willing to fight and die for strangers doesn't count in your book?

Join the Army and then go AWOL. The Canadians will roll out the red carpet for you.

yes, how inconvenient for the American government that some countries, on occasion, actually respect international law.

The welcome mat is not out for deserters because they volunteered for duty. During Vietnam there was conscription and that made a big difference. It is tough to get into Canada these days. Partly because we have to cooperate with Homeland Security or face getting a large fence built...and that will be a big problem in Lakes Superior, Huron, Erie and Ontario and the St Lawrence.

Back
Top Bottom