How did you find this web site?

Definitely Google. Probably looked for "frugal living/early retirement" or some such phrase.

I stumbled in via FireCalc which I found via Googling "Financially Independent". Truly a lucky day for me!

Found through Google. I also browsed a few other ER forums but didn't like them as much. -- this site seems to have a really good mix of topics and very well informed posters.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I lurked here for at least 5 or 6 years before joining so that's just too far back to remember how I found any particular website. Mostly likely I was looking for retirement calculators and I stumbled across FireCalc since I did a lot of that back in those days. Looking back at all the calculators I found/used, none of them gave me anywhere near the confidence to retire and not worry about my finances more than my own spreadsheets.

I was trying to run a "pro-forma" tax return and googling about what the 1099-R would look like. At least one search pointed me at a post or posts on this board.

I joined that day, asked a question, got a precision response from MichaelB and some other thoughtful/kind replies.

Only after I started reading an occasional post on the site, did I start to investigate the possibility of retiring early. So, unlike many of the replies so far to this thread, I didn't find this site after having already had the thought of retirement in my head. That came after hanging around here a while ;)

Googled "early retirement".

+1

I remember that I found it a few years earlier and lurked a bit, then came back and joined when I was getting serious about ER.

Google search for 'early retirement,' 'can I retire early?,' and similar phrases.

I was looking for info pertaining to buying back some of DHs pension years of service that he had cashed in at age 26 in order to go to graduate school. This site came up in the Google search and I started reading all kinds of interesting stuff from many interesting people. I liked the wide range of folks here and the attitudes.

I lurked for a while, then posted a topic and got some good advice. That was in 2007.

I think I was searching for withdrawal strategies and found some posts on the forum here. Continued looking around and decided to join up, which was a very good decision!

I think it was a google search for 72t rules. I can't recall if I found some other board/site first, and then this site was linked from there or what. I didn't even know "early retirement" was called "early retirement" or that it was a thing.

I found the site within my first year of starting full time work after college. Fast forward 10 years later and I'm retired. :)

My mega corp announced a voluntary early retirement offer in Sept 2003, and I remember doing research on the internet on the pros/cons of such offers and somehow found this forum. It helped convince me to accept the offer which I had to commit to by November.

Stumbled on here during an online search about early retirement. As they say, the rest is history :)

One of the regular posters here personally directed me to the site.

-gauss

I'm on a Proboards group called "notmsnmoney", which was formed after msn.com dumped a forum they had called "Your Money". Most of us made the move and we've had many new people join. (And bundle.com, which they pushed as the great new successor to Your Money, has been sold.)

Someone on notmsnmoney suggested it after I retired 3 years early on very short notice. It's been a great place to learn!

About 3 years after I retired I Googled "early retirement" and found this site.

Mis-typed and adult websites url.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Boglehead. Someone mentioned this site there and I came by. I don't frequent boglehead anymore. early-retirement.org is like a superstore. One stop shopping where all my needs are met :)

I initially was looking for a stock picking website to get advice on how to pick stocks better. Glad I found this site because indexing is so much easier and more effective :)

Investing aside, the knowledge and perspective on this site is incredible.

About 10 years ago a couple of "greedy geezer" fellow professors suggested this site because we all had "early retirement/take this job and shove it" on the brain. So..I came, I saw, and I stayed for the great advice and insightful comments that never disappoint. --prof12

Back
Top Bottom