how did you happen to affiliate with your political party?

which best describes how you vote

• i began & continue to vote my parents' party

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • i vote my twin's party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i started with one party in youth but switched with age

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • i don't vote based on party

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • i picked my party without regard to my parents' party

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • i just like to party

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
Cut-Throat said:
In the U.S. a third party will only help a party that is farthest from its beliefs as it splits the vote of the supporters and hands the election to opposition.

For sure, this is true when the third party is to the left (or right) of the main parties. (I guess that was implicit in your use of the word "farthest"). However, it's not necessarily true if the third party is in the center of the other two (e.g. Lieberman in CT last year).

FIRE'd@51 said:
For sure, this is true when the third party is to the left (or right) of the main parties. (I guess that was implicit in your use of the word "farthest"). However, it's not necessarily true if the third party is in the center of the other two (e.g. Lieberman in CT last year).

A lot of folks think that Perot was in the center of Bush and Clinton as well. Perot was Pro-Choice and many think he stole as many votes from Clinton as Bush.

Being in the exact Center is tough to do and with limited campaign funds it makes it even harder. You have to be a Billionarie like Perot and even then it's an uphill battle.

With Nadar however, he was clearly to the left of Gore - I mean if you're the Green Party and you don't think that Al Gore will further Environmental concerns and you need another candidate.

Texas Proud said:
Youbet... you should include who said this.... or at least who I heard it from.... Kinky..

Sorry, but I got it in an email which didn't give credit to the original author........

ERD50 said:
How can I vote and implement my beliefs when neither party represents my beliefs? Does Poly Sci 101 have an answer to that?

ERD50

One party will represent your beliefs more than the other party. Very few folks get what they want. Even members of Congress vote for bills that have items in them that they don't agree with.

It's called compromise. The country slowly changes. What chance do you think that Strom Thurmond's "Segregationist Party" would have today? - I am sure that some folks still harbor those views.

Splitting the ticket is the way I see it. For example, despite being raised in a family where voting Democratic was done with religious zeal, I couldn't stand Johnson's Viet Nam policy. I supported the local Dems in Chicago but said no to Nam.

Marching in total conformist lockstep to party dictates isn't always the way to go.

poll added (sorry i only thought of doing poll late) - please feel free to suggest poll options.

Cut-Throat said:
One party will represent your beliefs more than the other party.

They are both so far from my beliefs, I'm not sure I could decide which represents them best. It used to be the Repubs, by a small margin. Now, for me it's like choosing a poison.

Very few folks get what they want. Even members of Congress vote for bills that have items in them that they don't agree with.

Sure they do. They get some pork thrown in so they tell their constituents what a great job they are doing for them, and vote away.

-ERD50

ERD50 said:
They are both so far from my beliefs, I'm not sure I could decide which represents them best. It used to be the Repubs, by a small margin. Now, for me it's like choosing a poison.

Sure they do. They get some pork thrown in so they tell their constituents what a great job they are doing for them, and vote away.

-ERD50

So, if your views are so outside of the major political views in this country, why would you think you even have a chance of being represented? So, vote for a third party or write yourself in! - either way your vote will be a waste, as politics in this country is about compromise.

The recent Congressional bill that Nancy P. is so proud of and that Bush has sworn to veto is loaded with pork---over 3,000 pages worth including 100 million for the two political conventions.

I can't justify to myself voting for either party. I am hoping that more Americans get tired of flip floping between Dems and Rep and start looking at other parties --- if for no other reason than to send a message.

Raised among hippies as a flaming left-wing libertarian. Question Authority, keep government out
of one's private life, and all that. Hold my nose and vote Democrat just so the vote isn't wasted, but
not usually happy with the outcome no matter who wins. (And as long as any Republican who attended
the hateful 1992 Republican National Convention is still alive, I could never in conscience vote for a Republican.)

A fiscal conservative with respect for human and civil rights would be ideal, but such a creature doesn't seem to
exist.

Ever since Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel won in Luton, I have voted for the Silly Party.

Cut-Throat said:
politics in this country is about compromise.

Compromise is good if it means intelligent discussion, meeting of the minds and working out a solution that provides something good for many rather than something perfect for a few.

If it means - you sign my bill with my pork in it and I'll sign your bill with your pork in it, - well, I'd rather not play that game.

janeeyre gave an example - so a potentially bad bill should be passed in the name of 'compromise'?

-ERD50

Cut-Throat said:
So, if your views are so outside of the major political views in this country, why would you think you even have a chance of being represented?

I didn't say my views are outside of the major political views in this country, I said the major political *parties* do not represent my views.

I don't have a link to a survey, but I would not be surprised to find that the majority of people think the major political parties do not represent their views. It might explain the low voter turn out numbers.

So, vote for a third party or write yourself in! - either way your vote will be a waste....

I don't buy the 'your vote is a waste' argument. I could say that about anyone that votes in a non-swing state. Should all the minority party people in those states just stay home on election day?

-ERD50

Cut-Throat said:
So, if your views are so outside of the major political views in this country, why would you think you even have a chance of being represented? So, vote for a third party or write yourself in! - either way your vote will be a waste, as politics in this country is about compromise.
Have you ever compromised? Ever??

bssc said:
Ever since Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel won in Luton, I have voted for the Silly Party.

Don't tempt me. :)

i don't vote by party, i vote by priority :D a lot of politics sucks - but after spending much of my college days vigorously exploring my politics, i found that whatever your beliefs are - at the end of the day - you have to find a system of government that works for a lot of different interests and that is challenging - so there are functioning, good parts of our government and not functioning wasteful parts. let's parse them out and improve it for the broadest benefit! sounds simple, but entrenched politicians too often quiver at real reforms - so we have to get enough people to understand what options are available and push for these outside of the system - while working in the system to fix things that are working but need improvement. we need an active citizenry...

I'm usually unhappy/disappointed with most or all of the people who get elected. I am registered as a democrat so that I get a vote in the primary, but I vote based on the person and the issues, not by party. National office elections have found me voting democrat lately, local mostly republican.

I am fiscally conservative and socially liberal, so I have no party to turn to.
-----

I am the same, and registered as independent, but generally vote democratic. Since neither party, over the years, has been consistently fiscally responsible, I don't use that as a main criteria.

I am somewhat active in environmental issues and want to save and preserve our national parks and things like that, and I believe in a woman's right to choose. Those two, among other reasons, are why I vote democrat most of the time.

Absolutely Independent

Locally, I vote for the person or his/her stance on issues. Statewise I do the same, but I tend to lean toward Democrat if it's close.

As for president, senators and representatives I used to not look at the party, just the person and issues, but I must admit that in this last election I voted almost all Democrat just try to get change to happen.

I don't know how many other states are like this but in my state if you vote for a candidate in a Primary, it registers you for that party. Long time ago I liked a Democrat in a presidential primary so I voted for him. It registered me as a Democrat ...... which just felt creepy. I didn't like having the label and I certainly didn't like all the political mail and calls I got. When I voted the following year I asked to change from Democrat back to Independent. The poll worker told me that you can't do that, you can only change from Democrat to Republican! WHAT??!! I looked at the form they had to change parties and you could only go back and forth between D and R. Umm, no way I was going to become a registered Republican!

So instead, I filled out the form, checked neither box and instead wrote in that I wanted to unregister as a Democrat and not register as either party. I never was officially notified, but at the next election, I was back to neither Democrat or Republican. Whew!

This issue of registration and primaries is somewhat complicated. While the idea of open primaries is appealing, it opens the primaries up to gamesmanship. If one party has basically an uncontested primary, it's members can vote in the other party's primary to influence the outcome, which irritates (and probably justifiably so) faithful members of the other party.

Over the past ten years, the national primary elections have been useless in Pa. By the time Iowa and New Hampshire have had their primaries, the field had been dramatically reduced and, when the primary came to Pa., the field was reduced to one in each of the major parties --- no choice. In the last election, Kerry was not an acceptable option for me and either was Bush. So, then who:confused:

brewer12345 said:
I'm usually unhappy/disappointed with most or all of the people who get elected. I am registered as a democrat so that I get a vote in the primary, but I vote based on the person and the issues, not by party. National office elections have found me voting democrat lately, local mostly republican.

i do something similar. difference being i either vote the party line (which i'm also, often, not real happy with) or i throw my vote away by not voting a candidate. that way, while i can't always support my side, i don't feel like i am endorsing the enemy. because a successful local candidate today can be a national one tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom