How to be alerted that you *didn't* get a daily email?

ERD50

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Related to this post: https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/washers-with-wifi-106127.html#post2501861

I have this set up to email a status report every day. There is rarely any 'alarm' condition, so the email is just to say, all is well, so it is easy to forget about. Every once in a while, the program hangs, there's a power glitch, and/or the WiFi connection gets dropped, and I stop getting the daily emails. It happens rarely, maybe a few times a year, so not worth doing much investigation or setting up battery back up. Rebooting the device and/or resetting the monitor program on my computer always brings it back. And if it was the WiFi. w/o hanging the program, it uploads everything from its flash drive, so I don't even lose any data.

But there must be an easy way to get a notice that I didn't get that daily email. I can set up a reminder to check, but I'd rather only be alerted to a failure. Of course, then I'd need something to check the validity of the program that checks, and it starts sounding like the lady that swallowed a fly song.

Any ideas? I guess I just write a script on my computer to check for that email (not really sure how to access that information though)? I didn't see anything in that IFTT (If This Then That) programming interface that would link into my email in this way.

eta: OK, as is often the case, just getting it all down in writing caused a solution to come to mind. I can add a little function to the program that runs on my computer that pulls the data from the micro-controller and creates the email, to also write a file to my hard drive. Then I have a separate program running, that checks that the file is updated each day, and that second program can email me if there is a lapse. It would be independent of the other programs and very simple, so should help it from getting hung up. Python includes some very easy to use commands for emailing, just add address, subject and body to the command - (though as I recall, I had to register these in my Google account or something as a security measure).

TIA - ERD50

Last edited:
If you don’t already have one, I suggest getting a Synology (or similar) NAS. They are plenty handy anyway, and you could stick scripts like this on there to monitor your set up.

Back
Top Bottom