Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

SWAG...86!

I'm impressed with Prof. Hawking, but who really impresses me is his assistant.

Hawking: Mmmm hummbaaa tah rareee baboomph.

Assistant: (1.9^2*Cx)(L^Q-aB^-0.14)+1

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i had a wonderful friend who sped up the end of his deteriorating life with self-starvation. "why could i find a doctor to help end my dog's life," he told me near the end, "but no one will help me end mine." there's also at least four suicides in my family including the ol'man, years after his third open heart surgery (so it isn't as if he didn't try life first). granted, i'm not a hemingway but there was at least three consecutive generations of them. so the lifestyle is not quite unknown.

i might live the rest of my life having never moved aboard another boat. but it is comforting for me to know i can.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
When FIL died, he had been suffering from compression stress in his spine from a year earlier car accident. When we were cleaning out the house, we found a calendar in his bedside table with Xs on every day until December 23rd (he loved Christmas).

He collapsed Jan 5th and died in the hospital 3 days later.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Here's the rub: If you decide you don't want to go down that same road, how do you know when to pull the plug.
The way I look at it is that I will err on the side of pulling the plug too early, rather than too late. If that means I give up the possibility of a few years of living with a reasonable quality of life in exchange for avoiding a few months of misery, so be it.

Grumpy
Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm using 92 for me, and 96 for my wife, even though she doesn't have the family longevity that I do, for our planning. My mother is still alive (although demented) at 98, her brother died a few years ago at 94, and my father's sister died at 95. My father died at 62, but from a non-genetic disease. My hope is that I can be like my uncle, who was vital and strong, still raising a garden at 94, when he had a stroke and was dead within 4 months. My mother has been in failing mental health since 87, but is still relatively healthy in body. I'll take an earlier death any day over a stint in the nursing home, demented.....
Old 11-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Why do you think so many old folks move to the southern extremes of CA, TX, AZ and FL? Because it feels good to those old bones. We routinely spend the winter months in southern AZ and CA.
My mother's father moved from NY to TX because of arthritis; my mother moved from NY to AL because of arthritis; I don't want to move south because of arthritis.

I'm considering a tactic someone here mentioned concerning a relative: retreating to one (relatively warm) room for most stuff during cold weather.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:22 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

No one on DW's side has made it past 80. Mil is 79 but has had AD for last 10 yrs. Mom went at 74 due to smoking 1 1/2 packs per day from 18 on. Her mom went at 100 after giving up smoking at 78, go figure. Mom's Dad went at 89. Dad still going strong at 88 just remarried and on his third wife. His dad went to 89 and his mom died from complications from an auto accident. Have planned for 92 but anything past about 85 will be a gift to enjoy
Old 11-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Well,hmmm. Great-grandfather was 92 when the parkinson's got him (just before the bone cancer would have), his wife made it to at least late 50's with breast cancer, grandmother is currently 60 something and my father's father died in his 60's (heart disease) I believe. Father is still alive and in his 40's.

My other side I only know that my great-grandmother must have hit 80, my grandfather is currently 80, my grandmother died of metasized cancer at age 72 and my mother died at age 36 of metasized cancer.

So if cancer doesn't get me, I should at least reach my 80's. Unfortunately, my father's line is passing genetic breast cancer (its hit every generation except grandmother and I) but we don't have anyone who survived it to test. My grandmother is currently in a study to see if they can delay onset with a pill.

Husband's side is riddled cancer too so most likely one of us will die fairly young (though he has a few old geezers in the gene pool as well). But I am planning on both of us living to 100 financially with no social security just to keep our bases covered.

The one bonus of our genetic pool is that only the great grandfather with (idiopathic) parkinson's and bone cancer ever ended up in a nursing home. Our diseases tend to kill quickly.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I plan on at least 90+. My mom is 85 and even with a hip replaced she healed very quickly. Her mind is fine as crazy as ever. Dad has never had any health or mental problems and at 83 is going strong and farming (puttering) at least 3 hours a day outside.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #50

My dad died last year at 79. His dad died at 79. I'm seeing a pattern. Mom's dad died at 86, his wife (my grandma) at 66. My mom's still going strong at almost 78. Dad was still working in his one man barber shop up until almost immediately before he suddenly fell ill, went into the hospital & died. They ran every test under the sun on him and found NOTHING wrong. No alzheimer's, no cancer, no concussions, no high blood pressure, I mean NOTHING! The doctor said he was the healthiest person he'd ever seen go down like he did. At 79 years old, his eyesight, weigh, blood pressure, cholesterol and most other vitals put mine totally to shame. He had 20/20 vision after having cataract surgery years ago. Man, the guy really was amazing! I have seen him eat an entire 1/2 gallon of ice cream at a sitting, more than once but not get fat! I've seen him go into a seafood restaurant in S.C., order a fried flounder plate, eat it, and then order a fried shrimp plate and pretty much do that one in as well, though mayber not all the side items. Unreal. For no particular reason, I'm assuming I'll be checking out around the same age as my dad & his dad. Don't know why, just carrying on the family tradition, I suppose!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:00 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Well that will be disconcerting when you reach 79, martyb!

My mother died at age 39 of a heart attack. Me, and each of my sisters, all went through a "funny feeling in the chest" stage at age 39.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I recently picked a new primary care doctor. After two visits and exhaustive lab tests, he said I was doing "ok" for my age.

A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him, "Do you think I'll live
to be 90?"

He asked, "Do you smoke tobacco, or
drink beer or wine?"

"Oh no", I replied. "I'm not
doing drugs, either!"

Then he asked, "Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs?"

I said, "No,my
former doctor said that all red meat is unhealthy."

"Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing
golf, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?"

"No, I don't", I
said.

He asked, "Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a lot of sex?"

"No", I said.

He looked at me
and said, "Then why do you even give a sh!t?"

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

(*snort*, snicker)

Oh, great. Spouse wants to know what made me laugh out loud at the computer. I better spin this one pretty skillfully.

Thanks a lot, REW...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #54

Lol!

Old 11-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #55

[quote=Martha;581995]Well that will be disconcerting when you reach 79, martyb!

Yeah, I guess you're right. Maybe I better go with the Great-Great Grandfather that made it to 84. Born 1798, died 1882. Here's a picture I took of his grave with my dad standing beside it about 6 months before dad died. The old family cemetary is way back in the woods near the site of the old homesite that I never even knew about until a couple of years ago. My family was wealthy back in the day, with over 1000 acres of land, a huge milling operation on the creek, lots of farmed land and a good number of slaves. Yes, sorry but slaves. My ggfather's cemetary includes himself, his wife and a bunch of slave graves. By the way, all that wealth pretty much went away with the civil war. At least 5 of my ancestors that I can trace fought in the war, including my great grandfather.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hiram3.JPG (37.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg HiramBaldwin_grave02.JPG (38.9 KB, 1 views)

Old 11-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting stuff.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:48 PM   #57

Probably not all that interesting except to family, I suppose. GGGrandfather's name was Hiram Baldwin Sr. His son, Hiram Jr. my GGrandfather had a son named just plain 'ol Hiram (dad's dad) who produced yet another Hiram (III). My dad's name, however, was not Hiram, it was Royce! My grandfather, plain 'ol Hiram was actually born in 1875, outlived his first wife and in his fifties married himself a young 25 year old, and proceeded to have a few more kids, including my dad and a brother. Hiram died in 1955, 3 years before I was born so I never had the pleasure of knowing him. I understand he was a highly respected fellow in the community. OK, I promise...no more family history! P.S. Note in the pic above my then 78 year old dad is NOT wearing any glasses! Man, I'd kill to have his eyesight!

Old 11-26-2007, 09:55 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

I trust that they didn't name you Hiram? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #59

Nope! My first name is Martin, the same as my mom's maiden name! See...my family truly does recycle! One thing I forgot to mention, is that my ggrandfather actually married one of his nieces. I guess it wasn't all that uncommon when you live as far out in the middle of nowhere like they did and there weren't all that many options. Guess that at least partly explains a few things about me!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:48 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
"It wasn't all that difficult: after he gave up wine and women, he didn't feel like singing."

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I recently picked a new primary care doctor. After two visits and exhaustive lab tests, he said I was doing "ok" for my age.

A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him, "Do you think I'll live
to be 90?"

He asked, "Do you smoke tobacco, or
drink beer or wine?"

"Oh no", I replied. "I'm not
doing drugs, either!"

Then he asked, "Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs?"

I said, "No,my
former doctor said that all red meat is unhealthy."

"Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing
golf, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?"

"No, I don't", I
said.