How long will box wine last in the fridge?

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If I would take 2 months to use a 3L box of wine, will it keep reasonably well in the fridge for that time?

I may find that I use more in cooking if I don't have to uncork a new bottle and be sure of losing some of it before I finish. In this event it would not have to last quite as long.

I should also say that I am no one's idea of a wine connoisseur, so I may not even perceive some degree of spoilage.:)

Ha

I'm no expert, but a cheapskate friend tells me box wine lasts up to two months in the fridge. I would not have guessed that, so I always limited my experiments to smaller boxes or parties where leftovers were not likely to be an issue.

I've never timed mine, but I know I've gone over a month and it's been fine. And Bota Box says on their website that you can keep their boxed red or white in the fridge for 45 days.

Hmmmm, 2 months might be stretching it, but if it is in the fridge that helps a lot.

Unless some one comes up with evidence that it has little chance of making it, I'd say give it a try. I'm leaning towards thinking it will be fine, and by the time you might decide it isn't holding up so well, there won't be much left. You'll probably be $ ahead by then, and the box wines with tap are convenient.

We've got some Black Box Cab left over from a party 2 weeks ago, and that is just sitting at room temp. I made steak tonight, should have had it with that, but I already had my tastes set on my home-brewed English Mild, which also went very well.

Go for it, and report back.

-ERD50

Who's house is the wine at? Maybe I can help?

MRG

I drink boxed wine and the best boxed wine I have found is Corbett Canyon 's Pinot Grigio second is Fish eye. Target also has 1 liter boxed wine that may be better for your use .

I'm no expert, but a cheapskate friend tells me box wine lasts up to two months in the fridge. I would not have guessed that, so I always limited my experiments to smaller boxes or parties where leftovers were not likely to be an issue.

Well, there really does not seem to be much difference between open/closed. The internal bag just compresses to let the wine out and no air gets back in, at least I don't think it would. So shelf life open/closed should be similar I would think?

-ERD50

Not to hijack this thread, but I am having a Chardonnay tasting party at my house on Sunday, any recommendations? I plan to have an under $10 bottle, two around 12-15 and one 25-30, doing a blind tasting with a bunch of other geezers, none of us are wine snobs.

It should. As long as you don't let air into it when you first open it and you keep it on it's side so air doesn't get in when ever you pour from it you should be good. However I don't have much experience past a few days.

Cheers!

That's the advantage of a bag in a box, it keeps out air that would oxidize the wine. I bet if box wines didn't have an unfortunate reputation (undeserved for many), boxes would be much more widespread. Goes against tradition, though.

That's the advantage of a bag in a box, it keeps out air that would oxidize the wine. I bet if box wines didn't have an unfortunate reputation (undeserved for many), boxes would be much more widespread. Goes against tradition, though.

Same thing for screw tops. There are some better quality wines that are trying to reverse the stigma of a screw top. They sure are convenient. I hope they become common for good wine.

-ERD50

Worse comes to worst, you just make some trailer park mimosas: box wine and Tang.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I will start by picking up some of the 1L boxes from Target that Moe mentioned.

Ha

I don't remember if Ha ever said if he was interested in reds or a whites; but, here are a few more notes on reds. (I very rarely drink whites.)

When I have a box of red in the house, it is in the fridge where it can last for several weeks but only if I am traveling away from home much of that time. But, this does mean I have to plan ahead a bit and pour my glass an hour or so before I plan to drink it both to let it warm up a bit and to let it breathe since the wine gets no air to speak of in the box.

And, a few more suggestions for some reds for just a bit more money. (I have heard many times: Do not cook with wine that you would not drink.)

Black Box Cabernet Sauvignon is fairly cheap and readily available (at least in the midwest).

Hardy's Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon is not quite as good to me but still drinkable.

I have friends who swear by Botabox; but, I am not sure I see what all the fuss is about.

And, a couple that I have not actually tried but am planning to in the near future:
Big House Red on the cheap end.
From the Tank when I feel like splurging.

I did actually research this once with several boxes left over from a party. Every day it still tasted the same ;). so no worries for a month or so. It so happened it was all gone before 2 months, so I can't speak to that.

What bugs me about boxed wine is getting the last drops out of the bag. I was surprised how much 'extra' seems to get stuck in the bag. And since I'm a clumsy guy, I can make quite a scene getting that last drop out!

What bugs me about boxed wine is getting the last drops out of the bag. I was surprised how much 'extra' seems to get stuck in the bag. And since I'm a clumsy guy, I can make quite a scene getting that last drop out!

Agreed. My final two glasses from a box generally involve me tearing the bladder out of the box and squeezing the last bit of wine out.

Another non-conniseur of vino.

Loking in wikepedia, I found the following:

Storage factors

Main article: Storage of wine
The storage condition of the bottled wine will influence a wine's aging. Vibrations and heat fluctuations can hasten a wine's deterioration and cause adverse effect on the wines. In general, a wine has a greater potential to develop complexity and more aromatic bouquet if it is allowed to age slowly in a relatively cool environment. The lower the temperature, the more slowly a wine develops.[3] On average, the rate of chemical reactions in wine double with each 18 °F (8 °C) increase in temperature. Wine expert Karen MacNeil, recommends keeping wine intended for aging in a cool area with a constant temperature around 55°F (13°C). Wine can be stored at temperatures as high as 69°F (20°C) without long term negative effect. Professor Cornelius Ough of the University of California, Davis believes that wine could be exposed to temperatures as high as 120 °F (49 °C) for a few hours and not be damaged.

Elswhere in wiki it was noted a 6 month srorage to be OK. Also noted was that far too many wines are consumed way too old. Especially the overpriced ones.

On the more rudimentary side, is not wine aged for many years in casks or in the case of iirc K&W winery outside of Cape Town, Africa, in 15 to 20 thousad gallon underground tanks.

Cheers!

Agreed. My final two glasses from a box generally involve me tearing the bladder out of the box and squeezing the last bit of wine out.

Ditto.

Boxed wine:confused::confused::confused::confused:

What would the neighbors say?

From the cheap b@stard handbook:
Maybe you could freeze some of the wine and thaw it later (when those acquaintances come crashing over)? Just like milk.

Boxed wine:confused::confused::confused::confused:

What would the neighbors say?

I'll bring my own glass if you don't have enough?

I enjoy a good glass of wine. Boxed wine is a great idea. Easy to package and transport, easier to protect the contents from spoiling.

Back
Top Bottom