How many countries have you been to?

Just 8 countries for me, not counting airport stops.

Thinking about the other thread on states, roughly only ~ 12 for me, just a few more than countries. But that's not counting states we just drove through to get somewhere, w/o really staying to take things in.

Add DC and Puerto Rico, but they aren't states or countries.

-ERD50

The other thread was/is fun (thanks REAttempt), so why not expand our horizons. :D

Here's a link to make it easier (and provide a common list of countries and comparable counts): Free visited countries map.

According to the list at this link, I have been to 58 countries. That's a lot more than I would otherwise have said, since the list is so detailed that a lot of them are just little island nations and such that I wouldn't have counted.

I have no intention of engaging in further international travel as it is "not my thing".

According to the list at this link, I have been to 58 countries. That's a lot more than I would otherwise have said, since the list is so detailed that a lot of them are just little island nations and such that I wouldn't have counted.

I have no intention of engaging in further international travel as it is "not my thing".

Wow, a true world traveler.

So, does W2R stand for World to Roam?

56 for me.None added to the list for past few years, post semi-retirement. Since there is no longer work stress, the desire to get away and decompress has gone down for DH. I still have itchy feet :)
Others experience this post-retirement?

Favorite are New Zealand, Italy, Egypt.
Peru and Kenya/Tanzania are top on my to do.

Nice map.
I have 17 visited.
Lived for at least a year in three.
Spent at least a month in five.
Spent at least a week in ten.

Wow, 56 and 58, I'm jealous. I'll never match that...

22 for me. Of course, airport stops do not count.

I think my wife's list would have been about 6 more. She has been to all the countries I have been to except one, and also did some travel on her own.

Last edited:
26 to date. Would like to see Australia, New Zealand and India.

Thanks to Alan's "help for the technologically illiterate" I'm now able to post my own map:

5yu2xy.jpg

Last edited:
Only 3-Canada, Mexico and New Zealand. New Zealand's south island was surprising. I expected tropical. But it was a mixture of wet and dry. There were areas that I could have sworn I was in the Colorado mountains.

Cass

Only 3-Canada, Mexico and New Zealand. New Zealand's south island was surprising. I expected tropical. But it was a mixture of wet and dry. There were areas that I could have sworn I was in the Colorado mountains.

Cass

Between your user ID "CMH in CO" and the Colorado mountain comment, I think you can add 1 more, USA. :angel:

Nice link, I got 32 with the list. But I question the total. For example, I wouldn't count the US Virgin Islands as a separate country. Didn't go through the other Caribbean locations that were on my list, but I always thought some of them were parts of other countries.

46 for me with no airport stops. Most has been in the service of Uncle Sam. I have 6 more lined up in the next few months.

USA (not Hawaii or Alaska), Puerto Rico, USVI, Canada

The number of places I reported earlier might seem high, but the truth is that I have such superficial knowledge of those places, either just passing through or spent just a night or two.

To really travel the world, one cannot do it by airplanes. The world looks small when one is cruising at 35,000 ft altitude and at speed of 500-600mph. But when one is on a ground vehicle, it is a totally different thing!

A few years back, I read a couple of books by Jim Rogers, an eccentric billionaire who toured the world twice with ground vehicles. The first trip was on a motorcycle, and the second time in a specially built SUV. Each trip took a couple of years. He talked about traveling through war-torn countries, and places where there were no roads. Each time he crossed the borders, he had to deal with customs and immigration. He bought and eat local food, negotiated and arranged for transportation and repair of his vehicles.

Now, that is a real word traveler. I will have to check out and read his books again.

To really travel the world, one cannot do it by airplanes.
Does hitchhiking, (and using local buses/trains), count? Did a fair bit of that in "my time".

35, 30 or so of which I've visited more times than I can remember. I'm on my 3rd passport in 12 years, the first two having had additional pages added twice (the limit), the third has one set of additional pages that is now almost full, and I need to find a two-week "no-travel-period" so I can have the embassy add more pages again.

85-90% of the above is for work.

Been to more countries that I have been to US states.

I wanna go home...and stay there.

R

I thought it was more - but after a count - 30

Austria
Belize
Canada
China
Costa Rica
Czech Republic
Denmark
Egypt
France