How many email addressees can you forward using Yahoo

cbo111

Full time employment: Posting here.
My 82-year old mother is the secretary of her garden club and occasionally forwards emails to a 50-member group in her yahoo mail account. She has been forwarding emails to this group for a few years using yahoo mail (classic version). Since November, she gets a message that says "there seems to be a problem with your email address. Please try again." She has not change anything in the contact group, but for some reason her yahoo will not forward emails to the contact group. She can select an individual addressee and forward email with no issues, sending the group email does not work.
Does anyone know if Yahoo has changed their policy regarding the maximum number of emails one can forward to? I've searched and cannot find an answer.

Also, does Gmail allow you to create contact groups to send out mass emails?

Don't know - but has she tried splitting it up into several sub-groups, and send each sub-group maybe an hour a part or something?

If I could not find answers online, I'd try that.

-ERD50

You are not going to like this answer.
She needs a new email system for sending “mass” emails.
I see Yahoo flagged as a spammer too often. Even with legitimate emails.
I am sure they are trying to improve their reputation.

When I've sent out emails to a large group of 30 people, I'll get failed email address messages as some people have changed their email.

Is she sure it's not simply due to a couple of bad email addresses ?
Maybe her group list is not using the same emails as the individual ones.

Has she tried to switch over to the new Yahoo Mail from Classic? It's a seamless transition as I recall, not sure if it will fix the problem but it would be a quick change to try.

This discussion indicates that the limit is secret but probably closer to 50. She should be using BCC and she could break it up into a couple or a few messages to get under the limit. My sister forwards chain emails using "To:" and it occasionally prompts in irritating mass responses.

Never dawned on me that there are limits. From what I've just read, guess the reason is to prevent a spammers from sending out in mass.

Another alternative to move the garden club away from just email but to a group like yahoo groups or a forum.

Never dawned on me that there are limits. From what I've just read, guess the reason is to prevent a spammers from sending out in mass.

Yes, to fight spammers. It's kind of funny that the limit is 'secret', how hard would it be for a spammer to test various sizes? The old 'binary search' would get you there lickity-split (to use another technical term).

I also read that if it is due to a limit, you get a specific message for that. so maybe limits are not the issue (as others suggested - some bad addresses?)

Another alternative to move the garden club away from just email but to a group like yahoo groups or a forum.

Yes, but for most of those, there is some sign up procedure involved. Probably simple, but IME 10% of the people will be a pain for you.

Good luck.

-ERD50

Yes, to fight spammers. It's kind of funny that the limit is 'secret', how hard would it be for a spammer to test various sizes? The old 'binary search' would get you there lickity-split (to use another technical term).

I also read that if it is due to a limit, you get a specific message for that. so maybe limits are not the issue (as others suggested - some bad addresses?)

Yes, but for most of those, there is some sign up procedure involved. Probably simple, but IME 10% of the people will be a pain for you.

Good luck.

-ERD50

I was going to recommend create a FB group, figured FB is difficult enough for me. No need to add to the confusion :cool:.

The recommendation to move to the new email client is a good one. The interface is not that different from the classic version. Also limiting the distribution list to no more than 25 email addresses is a good plan. I send to about 100 people a month and have my distribution list divided into groups of 25 to avoid an ISP from rejecting the message as spam.
This is true for all email systems: Yahoo, Outlook, GMail, and others associated solely with cable providers or telephone/internet services.

Back
Top Bottom