Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-16-2016, 02:15 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Never do stuff for them or they won't even want to learn. My boyfriend lived with me for 27 years or so and didn't know how to load a dishwasher or cook. Now he has his own house and loads his own dishwasher, I explained to load them facing the water but if I am not there and he does it wrong the dishes will not wash so he figures it out. Cooking is hard for him but he gets a recipe and follows the directions and is trying hard things like marinating meat then grilling, might take him a month to get all the stuff and decide what he is doing but so pleased with himself. He was smoking some fish and told me it turned out great, didn't save the recipe so I found him one with the same ingredients that he remembered and told him try again and it you don't like it change the recipe and try again, he lives on a river so gets free salmon, smelt and steel head so he can smoke a lot of fish to practice, I don't need to make the brine for him anymore or remember what was in the last batch for him.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 09:57 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I am in the thousands of times on that chart about trying to conceive. Probably doesn't help that I have a vasectomy but I keep giving it the ole college try!

Practice makes perfect.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I think some of it is personality. When I was working I was a very helpful coworker, and would always lend a hand figuring something out or fixing a problem. Over time I noticed that certain people would keep coming back with the same question over and over. I don't know whether it's laziness or what, but some people learn and others don't. I just stopped being available to help the people that came back with the same issue more than once or twice, and they would figure it out themselves.

My worst example of this was dealing with my late mother. She prided herself on her note taking skills, and any time I tried to explain something like loading pictures from her digital camera to her computer, or creating folders on her computer to organize her files, she'd write down every word I said. But she was so busy writing that she wasn't hearing, so when she'd go back to her notes she couldn't figure anything out from them. It never did get better, and it was incredibly frustrating. It only ended when she passed away.

I would recommend becoming less available, and maybe that your friend should take a class or something to learn it.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:26 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The guy I am talking about us an accomplished retired surgeon. He is the most technically illiterate person I know, he can't even manage email, and I am trying to teach him more complex PC/apps, at his request of course. I've even printed out step by step instructions with pictures tailored for him - which he can't seem to find. Next time he asks, I may tell him that it's obvious I'm not a good teacher, maybe he should try someone else...
How did this person ever finish med school without being able to retain information?
Old 04-17-2016, 08:59 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
How did this person ever finish med school without being able to retain information?

Never mind, just turn your head and cough... 😜

My dad is an excellent example of knowing just enough to be dangerous. He picked up basic "computer" skills relatively quickly, then proceeded to forward all known chain emails to everyone on planet earth, and soon found his computer loaded with viruses...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Presumably the perils of aging, befalls most of us - whether we realize it or or not?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
I use Teamviewer a lot with my Mom. Works great.
My attempt at updating my brother's computer to Windows 10 with the help of Teamviewer didn't work. Maybe because we tried with an update DVD which meant there were times I couldn't see what he pressed on the computer.

To make a long story short, the try was a battle of who'd get more flustered first, me not able to see his "guesses" or him having to choose. Finally, he said, enough is enough after circling around various choices and said he had to leave and rake leaves for his wife .

I should have known the try would not work when I had to explain to him the difference between a blank CD and DVD.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I suggest giving him a copy of this flowchart. You may have to print it for him, and fasten it near his computer.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:03 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
I suggest giving him a copy of this flowchart. You may have to print it for him, and fasten it near his computer.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:07 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
I use Teamviewer a lot with my Mom. Works great.
I'm pretty impressed. Finally, was able to use Teamviewer to remotely upgrade the laptop from Win 7 to Win 10 for my brother.

Did need human intervention to click on a few buttons on the laptop, but upgrading to Win 10 this way is doable.

Just saved me a 10 hour round trip drive .
Old 04-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

My dear departed Dad kept asking how to "Make the cursor go down" the screen. I showed him the scroll bar and mouse wheel numerous times, but he just couldn't get it. He couldn't comprehend that the page goes up, the cursor doesn't go down. Even though the two things are functionally equivalent, he felt he was moving the wheel or scroll bar in the wrong direction. We both eventually gave up on everything except Solitaire.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I teach students how to use computers, and you got to knock this guy on the head lol.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #33

Even if you are training out of kindness, and not by the hour, I'd answer with:

"every time you ask me something I know I've answered before, that's $5"
Old 04-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This used to be me too. Now I ask my kids how to do stuff. Especially on smart phones!