Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

12 of 12.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I asked the DW to take the test too.

She scored 10 out of 12. I know she missed the boiling water question which now gives me some interesting insight as to why dinner doesn't always come out the way she plans.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #23

12 for 12, but if I had missed one, I would have handed in my Little Orphan Science Guy decoder ring.

I could only see what High Schoolers got from the 18-29 demographic, but it didn't look too impressive. If most folks don't get at least 11 for 12, I think our K-12 needs vast improvement. Just my opinion, of course. I see similar trends in the fields of politics (huge numbers of people don't know who the Vice President is.), Geography (many folks don't know which oceans bound the USA), Literature (most probably don't know who William Shakespeare was.), US History (Many can not identify the combatants nor have a rough idea of when the US Civil War was fought.), etc.

I fear for this nation for many reasons. It's my humble opinion that we are letting our kids down when it comes to education. Again, just an opinion as YMMV.

Dang, I am grumpy today!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

10 of 12 for me. I missed the boiling water and sound wave questions.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Am I the only one who looked at question 7 and thought, "What about metamaterials?"
Old 09-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
11/12, I missed the magnifying glass one - should have known better but I was on a roll.
I don't see things inverted through a magnifying glass so I didn't understand that answer. That's the only one I missed too.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #27

12/12 here also
Old 09-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don't see things inverted through a magnifying glass so I didn't understand that answer. That's the only one I missed too.
It's a little tricky. If the image of the object through the lens were projected onto a screen, it >would< be inverted (as it is inside a camera). But the diagram below shows how it works when your eye is doing the viewing:

I can only figure out how lenses will behave by stepping through how the waves behave as they hit each interface of objects with differing refractive indices.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I can only figure out how lenses will behave by stepping through how the waves behave as they hit each interface of objects with differing refractive indices.
Heh, heh, and here I thought I was the SMART one for just memorizing (50 years ago) and remembering how lenses bend light.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
11/12, I missed the magnifying glass one - should have known better but I was on a roll.
Same score and miss for me, if I would have thought about it more I would have got it right.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 09-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #31

12/12. I even got the bonus demographic questions at the end right.

I wonder how today's high school kids would do. Or maybe it doesn't matter, we can outsource all of our science needs...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 09-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
12 for 12, but if I had missed one, I would have handed in my Little Orphan Science Guy decoder ring.

I could only see what High Schoolers got from the 18-29 demographic, but it didn't look too impressive. If most folks don't get at least 11 for 12, I think our K-12 needs vast improvement. Just my opinion, of course. I see similar trends in the fields of politics (huge numbers of people don't know who the Vice President is.), Geography (many folks don't know which oceans bound the USA), Literature (most probably don't know who William Shakespeare was.), US History (Many can not identify the combatants nor have a rough idea of when the US Civil War was fought.), etc.

I fear for this nation for many reasons. It's my humble opinion that we are letting our kids down when it comes to education. Again, just an opinion as YMMV.

Dang, I am grumpy today!
I got them all too, but having a masters degree in a science, and working all my life in science or technology, (and more importantly watching Mr. Wizard every week as a child) it would have been pretty sad if I had not. But looking at the questions, I think I would have gotten them all correct right out of high school (I guess I was a nerd before it became popular).

There have always been two groups of people (okay, more than two, but for simplification...) One that finds adventure in understanding and knowledge and another that doesn't. Some kids can lie on their back in the grass or a warm summer night, look up at the stars, and see magic. Others just see stars.

The question I always ask, is how do you get people to see the magic, to see the wonders of the natural world, of history and mathematics, to be excited by learning. It seems to me that either you have it by age 8 (or earlier) or you don't. By the time you get to jr. high school and certainly by high school, if you don't have that curiosity, you will never never get it. High school is the deathbed of curiosity and learning, partly by teachers, but also by peer pressure and hormones.

I share your concerns about the state of learning in the United States. Sometimes I even think about coming out of retirement to help kids learn, but then I think about all the bureaucracy that entails, and come to my senses.

Wish I had a clue about the answer, but I don't.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #33

9/12. I guessed on 3 of them and got all 3 wrong.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
I got them all too, but having a masters degree in a science, and working all my life in science or technology, (and more importantly watching Mr. Wizard every week as a child) it would have been pretty sad if I had not. But looking at the questions, I think I would have gotten them all correct right out of high school (I guess I was a nerd before it became popular).
Lol, I would've done better if I had been right of high school. There were plenty of science lessons that I don't use in day to day work that I've already forgotten.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:17 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

the usual 12/12. Probably would have done the same when I started high-school.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Heh, heh, and here I thought I was the SMART one for just memorizing (50 years ago) and remembering how lenses bend light.
I was very lucky to have a fantastic HS physics teacher. He was an engineer and in a lucrative job, but took a teaching position to get a deferment during the Vietnam-era draft.

Market/societal forces conspired in other ways to give us great teachers in years gone by. Decades ago, women had few opportunities in industry, but teaching was open to them. We got lots of very talented teachers (at salaries well below what they would otherwise have been) due to that. I wonder if some of the educational issues we've got are because teacher's pay hasn't kept up with new realities-- of the personnel marketplace. Of course higher pay won't do anything in the absence of effective means of making good hiring and retention choices.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #37

I had to make a few good, educated guesses but got 11 of 12 right, missing only the amplitude/frequency question.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 09-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
12/12

Pretty easy, but I watch the Science channel!
Nah! One only has to stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #39

14 out of 15. I lied about my age. Seriously though, I am shocked about the score results of some of the questions. I don't consider myself anything special on science, and thought the test wasn't too hard.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I am also one who though the test was not that hard... spent 15 seconds or less on every question....

I was going to comment on how everybody was scoring 12, but then saw people putting down lower numbers... so far the low is 9 (thanks for posting the real score)....

But, if someone scored 6 do we think they are going to admit it

BTW... scored 12....