How normal do I have to be?

I have house guests frequently but they are relatives so they know me and as long as I am relaxed the visit goes well . So Khan just relax and go with the flow !

We just got back from being house guests and we had tons of fodder for the ride home. Assume they were doing the same thing, talking some smack about us too!

I had the temerity to comment on the little squeaker in the booth next to ours at dinner using the cushion as a trampoline and scrawling on the walls and windows with crayons as being less than cute. That quickly became: "Oh, someone doesn't like children!"

For the record, I don't mind them at a distance for the briefest of moments. What's wrong with that?

I really feel like a contrarian here. DW and I love having house guests though we extend invitations veeeerrrrryyy carefully. Then we prepare a nice home meal (DW loves to cook), go out to eat someplace close and funky, maybe do some local attractions.

I will admit that over the years we have all tacitly agreed on a code of etiquette, know how to share privacy and space, etc. We also know that it's OK to sit in a room reading the newspaper or a book for half an hour or more without conversing.

Just got back from Milwaukee as house guests and had a blast.

Sorry to ruin the thread ;).

You haven't ruined anything. I have a theory that people who have had children are more likely to have gone through the learning curve of hosting houseguests. But those of us who rarely do it, well, maybe our guests have interesting stories. ;) I doubt I would have made it to FIRE if I had opted to rent a place that is more suitable to occasional guests.

You haven't ruined anything. I have a theory that people who have had children are more likely to have gone through the learning curve of hosting houseguests. But those of us who rarely do it, well, maybe our guests have interesting stories. ;) I doubt I would have made it to FIRE if I had opted to rent a place that is more suitable to occasional guests.

I've never had children.
SO left long ago.
I can barely put up with the cat.

It's only for 2 days.
We shall survive.

LOL Khan, you make it sound soooo inviting, I really want to visit - mostly curiosity about how bad could it possibly be :)

We have teenage boys 15 and 17, often there are two or three extra bodies (sometimes more) in our lounge room on Sat morning. Sometimes they get a sheet or pillow (from my boys), sometimes I feed them breakfast, but not if I have stuff to do out of the house before they get up. They seem quite happy in our house which is definitely way smaller than many of their friends' houses. I'm sure I can't tell you anything about the "take me as you find me" philosophy of hostessing :)

Oh crap Nords.
You have me down.
It's my 60th birthday.
Only for 2 days.
I am planning on buying much food from the local farmers market.
Maybe a visit to the local coffee shop.

I understand how your feeling Khan. DH and I have become increasingly eccentric over the years. Good thing we have infrequent houseguests. Our best friends from Montana come a couple time a year, but they're even more eccentric than we are. Oh, and we have 4 cats (did have 5, but dear Hummer passed on).

I've decided one of the best things about getting older is no longer having to give a sh!t about what other people think.

So chill, enjoy the visit, and have a happy 60th Khan! We like you fine just the way you are:flowers:

I've lived alone for ~15 years and someone is coming to visit.

Maybe I should just set fire to the place and save myself the trouble.

If the place is just messy, don't worry too much. :)

If it's really unhygienic, unclutter a bit and have someone give it a through cleaning (outsiders see and smell things inhabitants don't).

The state of my house back when I was single is the stuff of legends. Still have a picture but won't post it. :)

I don't know how bad the situation is, but if it's like my own situation was 10 years ago when my new SO was going to come over:

- Unclutter the place
- Thoroughly clean it. If you've neglected cleaning for years and can afford it, bring in professionals. Outsiders see and smell things the inhabitants of a house don't.
- Let sunlight and fresh air come in, put flowers in every room
- Bathe

;-)

(please don't take offense, I have no idea what your house is like, but I had been... busy and the place was an incredible mess)

I have disposed of 4 bags of clothing and 3 bags of trash.

I do bathe on a regular basis.

I want to move to a 1 bedroom apartment.

I live in a bear cave with furniture (Rita Rudner). If I were single male my situation would be thought cute.

So? That's only one opinion.

Anyway, you are who you are. Don't try to, quickly, improve upon something you have spent years perfecting.

I have disposed of 4 bags of clothing and 3 bags of trash.
Now you have room for your guest.

I want to move to a 1 bedroom apartment.
Is that bigger or smaller that your current residence?

I had the temerity to comment on the little squeaker in the booth next to ours at dinner using the cushion as a trampoline and scrawling on the walls and windows with crayons as being less than cute. That quickly became: "Oh, someone doesn't like children!"
For the record, I don't mind them at a distance for the briefest of moments. What's wrong with that?
I think you're supposed to smile with fond memories and say "Ah, that reminds me of my students!"

We have teenage boys 15 and 17, often there are two or three extra bodies (sometimes more) in our lounge room on Sat morning. Sometimes they get a sheet or pillow (from my boys), sometimes I feed them breakfast, but not if I have stuff to do out of the house before they get up. They seem quite happy in our house which is definitely way smaller than many of their friends' houses. I'm sure I can't tell you anything about the "take me as you find me" philosophy of hostessing :)
Hunh, when I was their age I never brought any of my girlfriends home like that...

It's only for 2 days.
We shall survive.
Not to add more pressure to an already tense situation, but you realize of course that after it's all over then we will want photos.

I think you're supposed to smile with fond memories and say "Ah, that reminds me of my students!"

Hunh, when I was their age I never brought any of my girlfriends home like that...

Not to add more pressure to an already tense situation, but you realize of course that after it's all over then we will want photos.

There shall be photos if he approves.

I live on a farm. I have Chickens and a St Bernard wandering around. I do some things the way my Great Grandfather would have 125 years ago. At the same time I have some of the latest electronic gadgets and drive 30.000 Km a year for pleasure. My House is 130 years old and many parts are original. I would not starve or freeze if I had to hole up for a month in January. I can sit and watch birds for hours and not be bored. I have driven a car at 250 Kmh on a track. I have been outside the restaurant pod of the CN Tower. (On top Unbelted) I have no idea what is normal.

I live on a farm. I have Chickens and a St Bernard wandering around. I do some things the way my Great Grandfather would have 125 years ago. At the same time I have some of the latest electronic gadgets and drive 30.000 Km a year for pleasure. My House is 130 years old and many parts are original. I would not starve or freeze if I had to hole up for a month in January. I can sit and watch birds for hours and not be bored. I have driven a car at 250 Kmh on a track. I have been outside the restaurant pod of the CN Tower. (On top Unbelted) I have no idea what is normal.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain..." Roy Batty

You think that's bad: I also live with a cat.

I'm related to 2 people who live with 16 cats, 2 dogs, a whole bunch of birds, 2 tanks of fish...oh yeah, and no room for me to stay overnight.

Khan, I have a suggestion. Why not go stay somewhere else, and leave your guest the run of your house?

Amethyst

I am intrigued by the entire situation! Looking forward to heaing about the visit, circumstances leading up to and surrounding the visit, what "prep" you actually do, and how it all goes down :) Wishing you a great visit with "him" (do tell - relative, long lost friend, new friend...?)

I've lived alone for ~15 years and someone is coming to visit.

Maybe I should just set fire to the place and save myself the trouble.

I have lived alone for 15 years too, except for the first 2 months of 1998 when my ex and I tried unsuccessfully to reconcile. I think I can appreciate your dilemma.

I would suggest that he could stay in a motel, and you could visit him there. You could eat meals out and spend most of each day running around doing things (museums? parks? whatever the two of you might like) rather than sitting around your house.

Which is not to say that you shouldn't invite him over to your house, but you may feel more comfortable if he isn't there most of the time while he is in town.

After all - - he is coming to see YOU, I gather, not your house. So give him 100% of your time and attention and arrange things so that you don't have to worry about your house or chores.

Back
Top Bottom