Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
When my sons were still little my brother and his wife came to visit. They had no kids, and I think they had become a bit old for their ages.

My sons were learning to throw Ninja stars, and I had put some celotex up on a wall at the end of a hallway. There were gouges in everything where they had managed to miss the celotex. Our guests did put in the planned time of visit, but never came back.

I could tell more strories about visits from people who might have been expecting normal, but didn't find it. Some of them still mention how weird it seemed, 20-30 years later. And believe me, they do talk and dissect everything. Don't you

"God, did you see what they expected us to eat?" Etc

Ha
Ha, the more stories you share about your family the more I suspect we must be related ...
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
And believe me, they do talk and dissect everything.
Ha
When someone visits me I'd expect them to gossip about my shenanigans to at least one person. Otherwise, I'd feel a bit let down....
Old 08-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
When someone visits me I'd expect them to gossip about my shenanigans to at least one person. Otherwise, I'd feel a bit let down....
Maybe it just takes them a while to overcome their trauma & fear?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I really feel like a contrarian here. DW and I love having house guests though we extend invitations veeeerrrrryyy carefully. Then we prepare a nice home meal (DW loves to cook), go out to eat someplace close and funky, maybe do some local attractions.

I will admit that over the years we have all tacitly agreed on a code of etiquette, know how to share privacy and space, etc. We also know that it's OK to sit in a room reading the newspaper or a book for half an hour or more without conversing.

Just got back from Milwaukee as house guests and had a blast.

Sorry to ruin the thread .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yes, there is some satisfaction, seven years later, seeing a distant relative, trying to figure out who I am, "oh, yeah, you're the one with the staircase going up and up and up." Some would call it a fourth floor walkup, but the real estate people call it, top floor, sunny.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

I have house guests frequently but they are relatives so they know me and as long as I am relaxed the visit goes well . So Khan just relax and go with the flow !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We just got back from being house guests and we had tons of fodder for the ride home. Assume they were doing the same thing, talking some smack about us too!

I had the temerity to comment on the little squeaker in the booth next to ours at dinner using the cushion as a trampoline and scrawling on the walls and windows with crayons as being less than cute. That quickly became: "Oh, someone doesn't like children!"

For the record, I don't mind them at a distance for the briefest of moments. What's wrong with that?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Maybe it just takes them a while to overcome their trauma & fear?
Mmmm...no...not exactly....

Old 08-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I really feel like a contrarian here. DW and I love having house guests though we extend invitations veeeerrrrryyy carefully. Then we prepare a nice home meal (DW loves to cook), go out to eat someplace close and funky, maybe do some local attractions.

I will admit that over the years we have all tacitly agreed on a code of etiquette, know how to share privacy and space, etc. We also know that it's OK to sit in a room reading the newspaper or a book for half an hour or more without conversing.

Just got back from Milwaukee as house guests and had a blast.

Sorry to ruin the thread .
You haven't ruined anything. I have a theory that people who have had children are more likely to have gone through the learning curve of hosting houseguests. But those of us who rarely do it, well, maybe our guests have interesting stories. I doubt I would have made it to FIRE if I had opted to rent a place that is more suitable to occasional guests.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
You haven't ruined anything. I have a theory that people who have had children are more likely to have gone through the learning curve of hosting houseguests. But those of us who rarely do it, well, maybe our guests have interesting stories. I doubt I would have made it to FIRE if I had opted to rent a place that is more suitable to occasional guests.
I've never had children.
SO left long ago.
I can barely put up with the cat.

It's only for 2 days.
We shall survive.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

LOL Khan, you make it sound soooo inviting, I really want to visit - mostly curiosity about how bad could it possibly be :-)

We have teenage boys 15 and 17, often there are two or three extra bodies (sometimes more) in our lounge room on Sat morning. Sometimes they get a sheet or pillow (from my boys), sometimes I feed them breakfast, but not if I have stuff to do out of the house before they get up. They seem quite happy in our house which is definitely way smaller than many of their friends' houses. I'm sure I can't tell you anything about the "take me as you find me" philosophy of hostessing :-)
SVHoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Oh crap Nords.
You have me down.
It's my 60th birthday.
Only for 2 days.
I am planning on buying much food from the local farmers market.
Maybe a visit to the local coffee shop.
I understand how your feeling Khan. DH and I have become increasingly eccentric over the years. Good thing we have infrequent houseguests. Our best friends from Montana come a couple time a year, but they're even more eccentric than we are. Oh, and we have 4 cats (did have 5, but dear Hummer passed on).

I've decided one of the best things about getting older is no longer having to give a sh!t about what other people think.

So chill, enjoy the visit, and have a happy 60th Khan! We like you fine just the way you are
Old 08-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
One of the best things about getting older is no longer having to give a sh!t about what other people think.
This belongs on a bumper sticker.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just make sure the beer is cold and in ample supply.
Doesn't everyone?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Doesn't everyone?
I shall buy beer.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I've lived alone for ~15 years and someone is coming to visit.

Maybe I should just set fire to the place and save myself the trouble.
If the place is just messy, don't worry too much. :-)

If it's really unhygienic, unclutter a bit and have someone give it a through cleaning (outsiders see and smell things inhabitants don't).

The state of my house back when I was single is the stuff of legends. Still have a picture but won't post it.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #37
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
I don't know how bad the situation is, but if it's like my own situation was 10 years ago when my new SO was going to come over:

- Unclutter the place
- Thoroughly clean it. If you've neglected cleaning for years and can afford it, bring in professionals. Outsiders see and smell things the inhabitants of a house don't.
- Let sunlight and fresh air come in, put flowers in every room
- Bathe

;-)

(please don't take offense, I have no idea what your house is like, but I had been... busy and the place was an incredible mess)
I have disposed of 4 bags of clothing and 3 bags of trash.

I do bathe on a regular basis.

I want to move to a 1 bedroom apartment.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I live in a bear cave with furniture (Rita Rudner). If I were single male my situation would be thought cute.
So? That's only one opinion.

Anyway, you are who you are. Don't try to, quickly, improve upon something you have spent years perfecting.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
I have disposed of 4 bags of clothing and 3 bags of trash.
Now you have room for your guest.

Quote:
I want to move to a 1 bedroom apartment.
Is that bigger or smaller that your current residence?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
I had the temerity to comment on the little squeaker in the booth next to ours at dinner using the cushion as a trampoline and scrawling on the walls and windows with crayons as being less than cute. That quickly became: "Oh, someone doesn't like children!"
For the record, I don't mind them at a distance for the briefest of moments. What's wrong with that?
I think you're supposed to smile with fond memories and say "Ah, that reminds me of my students!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHoper View Post
We have teenage boys 15 and 17, often there are two or three extra bodies (sometimes more) in our lounge room on Sat morning. Sometimes they get a sheet or pillow (from my boys), sometimes I feed them breakfast, but not if I have stuff to do out of the house before they get up. They seem quite happy in our house which is definitely way smaller than many of their friends' houses. I'm sure I can't tell you anything about the "take me as you find me" philosophy of hostessing :-)
Hunh, when I was their age I never brought any of my girlfriends home like that...

Quote:
It's only for 2 days.
We shall survive.
Not to add more pressure to an already tense situation, but you realize of course that after it's all over then we will want photos.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote