How old are your cars?

We have a 2003 and a 2007, but we aren't going to be buying another car for many years most likely...

1 Lexus IS250
1.5 Toyota Tundra
3.5 Honda Odyssey
8 Honda Stream (in Asia, not sold in the US)

3 year old Kubota BX23, front end loader and backhoe...love it!

Will likely keep the Tundra for about 15 years, and the Odyssey for about 8. Will replace the Odyssey will a small Honda or perhaps a hybrid Camry or something down the road, when the kids are done with school.

R

9 yrs and 6 yrs.

I would love to have only one car. We rarely need both at the same time. But I need one for hauling firewood, and one that gets good gas mileage.

The worst is that I put oil in the truck, and it mostly just sits there, and then in six months, I take the oil out and replace it.

T-Al, thought about getting a small utility trailer for your car? My cousin did this so they only have one car -- a VW GTI. Works great for them, and they do a lot of lumber/firewood/rock hauling with it. You might have to do two smaller loads, but you'd save money on registration, insurance and gas so would probably come out ahead.

2003 Honda Accord
2006 Honda Odyssey

These replaced a 19-year old Plymouth Acclaim and a 23-year-old Volvo, respectively.

We plan on driving them until they fall apart.

3 cars:
12 YO Honda Odyssey (bought used 8 years ago)
21 YO Toyota Camry (bought used 9 years ago)
7 YO Ford Taurus (bought used this year, daughter's car)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 104,000 miles

2005 Volvo S60 - 45,000 miles

Just dropped a thousand dollars into the Jeep for maintenance, brakes, belts, and a sensor that went bad 3k miles after the warranty expired. :rant:

But overall very happy with the Jeep. We'll run it to about 200k then get a Honda Odyssey (we'll have three kids by then).

97 F-150 4x4 PU
01 BMW Z3 Convertible (for the winter months in AZ)
09 GMC Acadia SUV

2 cars:

'05 Kia Spectra....with about 5K miles. (bought new in '05....traded in '97 Buick Century w/ ~13K miles)

'06 Chevy HHR....with about 28K miles. (bought used in '06....traded in '96 Mitsubishi Galant w/ ~63K miles)

Not as old as they are gonna be after Mr Markets indigestion of the last few months!

1996 Buick Le Sabre 160K miles my son drives
2000 VW Jetta 140K miles my daughter drives
2006 Cadillac CTS 40K miles I try and keep parked

Sold my ten-year-old Ford in 1980, bought it used, owned it for eight years.

Some of the streetcars I ride date from the '40s.

Are you trying to tell us something ? Is a little Lawrence on the way ?

LOL. No, not yet, we don't put that many miles on in 9 months! We are going to start "trying" next spring because DW wants to be able to have a mai tai or three on our Hawaii vacation. We should be able to cram the kids in the Jeep at first, but once the youngest is to toddler phase we'll need the van.

T-Al, thought about getting a small utility trailer for your car? My cousin did this so they only have one car -- a VW GTI. Works great for them, and they do a lot of lumber/firewood/rock hauling with it. You might have to do two smaller loads, but you'd save money on registration, insurance and gas so would probably come out ahead.

Until he wrecks the transaxle or clutch, or finds himself at the bottom of a hill without the torque to get up. However, he would come out way ahead if he started just buying his firewood. Let some country dude with an old 2 ton dump bring a years supply, a year ahead, every fall.

Not only is it better for the back, it is much cheaper. And the time he saves he can spend losing more money in the market.:)

ha

1 mazda miata, 1997, 100K miles. It has never required a single repair beyond regular maintenance.
1 VW Jetta, 2001, 100K miles. Super expensive to maintain for what it is. I will not buy another VW, ever. I used to love the brand but they lost their way.

Even though the miata is older, we might get rid of the VW first.

2004 Toyota Highlander - love it.
2002 C320 Mercedes Wagon - I don't like it, but was MIL's car and DW can't bear to part with it yet.
2002 VW Beetle TDI - fabulous car, gets 45/50 mpg. I agree they've lost their way, they don't offer the TDI Beetle anymore.

2004 Toyota Highlander - love it.
2002 C320 Mercedes Wagon - I don't like it, but was MIL's car and DW can't bear to part with it yet.
2002 VW Beetle TDI - fabulous car, gets 45/50 mpg. I agree they've lost their way, they don't offer the TDI Beetle anymore.

I love my VW (when I don't have to repair anything!). It is a heavy car, I love driving it (I got the 1.8T engine), plenty of power, good mpg, all steel construction, etc... For years I had a VW 1985 golf and, like the old beetles, this thing was indestructible and I loved it (though the A/C was crap). But I have been disappointed by the quality of the new VWs and repair costs are out of control. Changing the battery cost me almost $500, a simple bulb replacement was like $100. This is getting ridiculous. The TDI models are great. Lots of people seek those out to run them on recycled vegetable oil.

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 138000 mi
2001 Corvette w/ 55000 mi
2001 Acura (DW's) w/ 85000 mi
2004 Jeep Wrangler w/ 10000 mi

12--my beloved Toyota bought brand-new in Dec. 96!
13--our farm truck
5--hubby's chevy....now he wishes he didnt; have the payments!

Back
Top Bottom