how to buy a outdoor tv or outdoor Antenna

kari666

Confused about dryer sheets
I'm thinking of replacing my old outdoor TV antenna with one suitable for digital TV. My old antenna is a VHF/UHF combo, with a couple of bent elements and another element missing, and no amplification (it came with the house when I bought it). It gets some of the digital TV where I live, but not all.

My question: Is there any reason to get another VHF/UHF antenna, or should I go with a UHF-only antenna, since digital TV resides in the UHF range? I live in Talbot County and want to pick up the Baltimore/Washington TV stations, plus the ones in Salisbury (I know I'll need a rotator for that).

I have DirecTV with the Balt. channels (no Wash.), but want to have the option of receiving stations in the area that DirecTV doesn't give me. Thanks in advance!

Digital TV isn't only in the UHF range. It's mostly from channels 7 to 51, with a small number of unfortunate cases where the signal is in "low VHF" (channels 2-6) which is horrible for digital.

If all of the channels you receive are broadcasting on the RF signals from channels 14 to 51, a UHF antenna is all you need (note that channels with VHF "numbers" like channel 8.1 can be in UHF if they broadcast the digital signal over (say) channel 25.

Go here to find out what you need... and for which channels...

Address

Not exactly what's the best approach in looking for an outdoor antenna. But I helped put up this one

GE Futura Digital HDTV Antenna Outdoor - 24769004 at The Home Depot

for a friend and it's very light, and works. Plus it comes with an amplifer that you plug to the cable on the inside, then a power supply to the wall.

I live in a condo and they don't allow installing antennas on the balcony, so I went ahead and just built my own indoor one with plans I found on the internet. The own built one gives great reception that I don't even need an outdoor one.

OP

Many years ago, I installed 2 outdoor TV antennas.

One a Winegurard, Frys sells them, Not sure if the quality is the same as when I bought mine many years ago.

also, bought a Radio Shack outdoor antenna.

Today, with everything digital, the Winegurard pulls in more stations then the Radio shack antenna.

Live about 30 miles south of San Francisco.

Back
Top Bottom