How To Remove Print From Painted Surface

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I used a thick glossy " paper" advertising handout from a realtor to use as
protection from cups of liquid (sometimes hot) on the window sill. After some
time I realized that the "paper" had become stuck to the paint there. I peeled of
the bulk of it and then "soaked" the residue with a wet paper towel. All of the paper residue came off. However a lot of the black print remains on the painted surface. How to remove that black print w/o damaging the paint?

I'd recommend starting with soap and water, just rub it softly with a sponge or soft cloth. It that doesn't work, I've heard that rubbing on some toothpaste, let it sit for about 10 minutes, then softly run it off with a damp sponge or cloth. You can always try a magic eraser, but they can abrade the paint if you rub too hard. Good luck.

I would try regular baking soda first (since it's a great cleaner anyway) as a thinned paste and gently scrub with a soft cloth.

But the color may have leached into the paint, in which case you may have to repaint.

Most modern newsprint ink is soy-based. You might try some soybean or other vegetable oil.

It probably had a UV coated finish which is a varnish. The heat/light of the window may have caused the varnish to transfer into the surface. Try alcohol.

He could try it, but I would not be surprised if it just bled through the fresh paint. That might make it harder to remove.

If other removal techniques don't work, then maybe a stain-blocker (like Kilz) and then fresh paint?

How to Remove Newspaper Ink | eHow

-ERD50

I don't see what is so special about OP's paint, I was going to suggest, light sanding, kilz to prime it and then paint it.

First, do no harm. Assuming latex paint that would suggest not using oily stuff - real hard to paint over if you have to paint. Alcohol, light abrasives that can be washed off, then a sealer and top coat of latex if you have to.

Lots of great suggestions here. Appreciate everybody's inputs. Away from home at the moment so will have time to mull over all the ideas before the actual attempt. Thanks all for the help!

and the winner is.................................
first I tried scrubbing with soap and water. no go.
then alcohol.....didn't have an instant magical effect but with a LOT of elbow grease , I could see some progress and eventually got it looking pretty good.
or maybe it's the combination......I can still tell there is soap residue so I guess I'd better clean that up in case I ever want to paint it.

So thanks to COcheesehead who originally suggested the alcohol idea!

Back
Top Bottom