How to remove paint from concrete sidewalk?

John Galt III

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
How can I remove paint from a concrete sidewalk? Fortunately there is only about 3 square feet of it. I was hoping to be able to apply a paint stripper gel to it, wait a few hours, and then use a wire brush on it also. Rinse and repeat until clean. I don't know if the paint is oil based or latex. Thanks for any input!

Have your tried a good high pressure power washer? I've got a 3100PSI unit that removes just about anything I use it on, at close range with a 15 deg nozzle. Probably won't even need to apply any chemicals first.

Last edited:
Paint stripper followed by a pressure washer probably works better than brushing.

I used a paint stripper once. Powerful stuff, and it works on either latex or oil based. Oil stain too.

Start with the pressure washer. Whatever it won't take off, soak in some heavy bodied paint remover. Sometimes it's called Aircraft Paint Remover, and it's available at Home Depot/Lowes and most auto parts stores.

Then hit it again with the pressure washer.

Paint stripper followed by a pressure washer probably works better than brushing.

I used a paint stripper once. Powerful stuff, and it works on either latex or oil based. Oil stain too.

Thanks. Do you remember the brand or the chemical content of the paint stripper?

I read once that oven cleaner will strip off paint from concrete. If you have any around, please try it on a spot.
It would be nice to know it works or not.

Never tried it on paint but oven cleaner works great for cleaning badly soiled tile grout lines. It is strong stuff, need to wear gloves and have good ventilation.

Thanks. Do you remember the brand or the chemical content of the paint stripper?

It's a pinkish gel I bought at Home Depot. I think it's Citristrip, and it's on sale everywhere.

Home Depot site has the SDS (Safety Data Sheet), and it shows the two major ingredients being benzenemethanol, and diethylene glycol monobutyl ether. Sounds like Greek to me.

It causes the paint or varnish to soften, swell up, and can be rubbed away with water and a sponge or steel wool.

I read once that oven cleaner will strip off paint from concrete. If you have any around, please try it on a spot.
It would be nice to know it works or not.

I tried your suggestion, Sunset. Thanks, by the way. I got a can of EZ OFF Heavy Duty oven cleaner and tried it on a spot. I covered most of the treated spot with plastic and a weighty object, thinking that keeping it moist would be better than letting it dry. I left it on for 10 hours, then took the plastic off and rubbed it off with a wet cloth. The paint that had EZ Off on it, and not covered, came right off, down to clean bare concrete, with some rubbing . The part I covered with plastic didn't completely rub off. The instructions say to just spray it on and wait, nothing about covering it, so I out-thought things there, I guess, lol.

Last edited:
Sounds like your problem is solved, OP.

If I used paint stripper, I wouldn't pressure-wash it until I'd gotten up every last drop of dissolved paint I could, using wet rags. That stuff is not good to spread around.

In older days paint stripper was methylene chloride, but it is considered a potential carcinogenic now. It has been taken out of the general paint strippers you find at hardware store, and are far less effective.
Look at the chemical makeup, the methylene chloride is the stuff that actually works.

In the early morning light it looked like all the yellow was gone, but in the noontime sun I see a few flecks of yellow still. Hopefully a second coat will get it all off. Even with a few yellow flecks there, it looks better than the solid yellow.

Back
Top Bottom