Hurricane Irma

Irma Could Leave Puerto Rico Without Power for 6 Months, Um O.K. that would cramp most preppers. Irma Could Leave Puerto Rico Without Power for 6 Months. Seems extreme, is this because the place is broke? or because the island is going to get flattened.?

Could be, due to a combination of broke and extreme damage.

I mentioned in another thread, DD's boyfriend is from Puerto Rico, and when a side road near them (about 10 miles from us) was washed out in some floods a few months ago, he was amazed that it was repaired in a few days. He said that would take years to get fixed in Puerto Rico.

He has family there and lost contact due to power outages today. It's going to very rough I think.

-ERD50

We accomplished things. Wiring from temp house to new house. Generator connected. Much food moved. Boat stored under house. Tomorrow will move stuff to freezer and fridge. Microwave will not work on generator power. We have several days of propane and ~80 gallons of gas.

Note that there are now inverter generators, which produce a much cleaner electricity than a traditional generator, and because of the way they work don't have to run at a constant speed like traditional generators.(It is basically the same technology as used in inverter compressors and blower motors turned around. They generate ac, convert it to dc and back to ac. I suspect that over the next few years they will replace the older models.

Note that one other idea is to buy empty gallon jugs and fill them with tap water before the storm.
Longer term, just don't throw water bottles away but keep them empty and refill from the tap before a storm.

One of the things we did was fill up empty 2 ltr soda bottles and put them in the freezer... if the electricity goes out it can help keep the interior cold longer... and you still have water to drink....

DW keeps pushing for me to buy a generator.... but I would buy a Honda that cost $1,000.... do not want to do that since it is very rare we need it... the last time we lost electricity for a long time was 2008 and it was out for 2 or 3 weeks ....

I love our little Honda EU2000i

I probably have already put 200 or more hours on it because of this smoke from the forest fires making solar not work. Highly recommend that little red $1000 inverter generator!

The NWS map 'M' for Sunday at 8pm marks where my home is located. M is for major hurricane. Residential structures fair poorly in a cat 4 or 5. Millions live along this storm track.

Only good thing for Irma will be a lower storm surge on its current track.

I saw the aftermath of Andrew in 1992 - a cat 5.

Pray for Florida.

Last edited:
Wow, PM me your insurance guy, he is a keeper, Im on the ignore list when i try to put in a claim.

I get two moves a year, It has to be a hurricane watch or warning. I guess it's cheaper than replacing the plane. It doesn't take much to total out an aluminum airplane. Just something hitting the prop requires the engine to be torn down and inspected.

And my insurance guy is actually my daughter in law:)

The latest models are showing my condo in line for a direct hit. It's an eighth floor condo with hurricane windows. I hope they hold and my remodeling contractor ensured they're locked as he promised. Many personal belongings are in a storage bin in the garage basement. I suspect they will be a total loss. But at least we're safe in PA. Stuff can be replaced. Pray for Florida!

The latest models are showing my condo in line for a direct hit. It's an eighth floor condo with hurricane windows. I hope they hold and my remodeling contractor ensured they're locked as he promised. Many personal belongings are in a storage bin in the garage basement. I suspect they will be a total loss. But at least we're safe in PA. Stuff can be replaced. Pray for Florida!
Let's pray for the best - and a continued shift to the east. Hope you're insured. As you say, stuff can be replaced. I know, because we suffered a total loss of household goods in '90. A real PITA, but stuff can be replaced.

Let's pray for the best - and a continued shift to the east. Hope you're insured. As you say, stuff can be replaced. I know, because we suffered a total loss of household goods in '90. A real PITA, but stuff can be replaced.

We're insured for wind damage. Eighth floor we didn't see need for flood insurance. Question is how responsive the insurance companies will be.

We're insured for wind damage. Eighth floor we didn't see need for flood insurance. Question is how responsive the insurance companies will be.

We have a condo on the 4th floor of a building in the path. Garage on first level. We maintain flood insurance in case flood damage to the building causes an assessment to all owners. I'm told that would be covered.

Looking at today's 11:00 am advisory, I think the eye of Irma will be on my street Sunday.

(I typed various sentences after the above one and none made any sense). Ugghhhhhh

Rich

DW keeps pushing for me to buy a generator.... but I would buy a Honda that cost $1,000.... do not want to do that since it is very rare we need it... the last time we lost electricity for a long time was 2008 and it was out for 2 or 3 weeks ....

Ok as a city kid, I need to ask, What did you do for those 2 weeks? You stayed and roughed it? Or did the BCG thing and try to find a dog friendly hotel?

I get two moves a year, It has to be a hurricane watch or warning. I guess it's cheaper than replacing the plane. It doesn't take much to total out an aluminum airplane. Just something hitting the prop requires the engine to be torn down and inspected.

And my insurance guy is actually my daughter in law:)

Bwaa, A) thanks for that info and B) You have the best insurance agent in the business:)

Let's pray for the best - and a continued shift to the east.
You are basically praying for the storm to hit the Bahamas more than Florida...there are people in the Bahamas praying for it to shift more to the west. I'm sure there are more people praying for Florida than the Bahamas just based on population and I wonder if God considers the total number of conflicting prayers when deciding which prayers to answer?

You are basically praying for the storm to hit the Bahamas more than Florida...there are people in the Bahamas praying for it to shift more to the west. I'm sure there are more people praying for Florida than the Bahamas just based on population and I wonder if God considers the total number of conflicting prayers when deciding which prayers to answer?

I was hoping it would hit North Korea

Ok as a city kid, I need to ask, What did you do for those 2 weeks? You stayed and roughed it? Or did the BCG thing and try to find a dog friendly hotel?

We stayed a couple of days, but we decided to take a trip to my sister who lives in Austin... along with other family members!!! My mom, and 2 sisters stayed here and roughed it out...

We did not have cats at the time... but sis loves cats (she bred for a few years) and we could still go there... the problem would be getting the cats there... one we cannot get into a cage and the other fights when put in one... biting the door and meowing loudly...

I love our little Honda EU2000i

I probably have already put 200 or more hours on it because of this smoke from the forest fires making solar not work. Highly recommend that little red $1000 inverter generator!

What will this run? Can you run a freezer and fridge at the same time?

I was looking at the 2800 model... EB2800... not as portable but has a bigger tank and runs longer... it also looks like it can run a small AC unit as it draws 4 to 8 amps for a smaller unit...

Electric Generator Depot - Honda EB2800i 2,800-Watt 120-Volt Industrial Inverter Generator - EB2800iXA

While I take this in the humorous, light-hearted vein I think it was intended, that population is one of the poorest, most down-trodden groups of humanity in the world. I personally wouldn't wish even more suffering on them (or anybody).

I wish Irma would take a hike to the mid-Atlantic.:(

Well, stuff in the basement storage might be a reason.

is there a waiting period for flood insurance? Might be prudent to get a policy now if it will be in effect immediately.
Many insurers have a limit on policies for new coverage once hurricane season starts. Once a storm has formed in the Atlantic you can't even get a safe deposit box, much less a new insurance policy.

My real hope is it dissipates suddenly, then shifts east. :)

Not helpful. Let's keep the thread on topic, eh? :)

I always wonder this about wars, too. Everyone is convinced God is on their side, but does God really take sides? We should have a Metaphysics thread.

is there a waiting period for flood insurance? Might be prudent to get a policy now if it will be in effect immediately.
You can not purchase flood insurance if there is a storm. I have flood insurance but have never needed it . My house is 17' in the air .I do face Sarasota Bay so I get a birds eye view of the storms . We got supplies , will bring in all the outside furniture and hope for the best . I have been through many hurricanes so I know the drill .I feel sorry for anybody who will be affected by this monster.

Back
Top Bottom