Husband storage pods

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
This sounds like a real innovation, and if this option were available around here, i might even consider accompanying DW to the local mall. News report here China mall introduces 'husband storage' pods for shopping wives
A Chinese mall has introduced "husband storage" facilities for wives to leave their spouse while they shop, it's reported.

According to The Paper, the Global Harbour mall in Shanghai has erected a number of glass pods for wives to leave any disgruntled husbands that don't want to be dragged around the shops.

Inside each individual pod is a chair, monitor, computer and gamepad, and men can sit and play retro 1990s games. Currently, the service is free, but staff told the newspaper that in future months, users will be able to scan a QR code and pay a small sum for the service using their mobile phones.

A few years ago we were visiting Glasgow with some friends and we passed a pub with a sign outside saying "Man Creche. Ladies, leave your man here while you go shopping and pick him up later."

This could work in my backyard too.. Can the contents be secured from the outside?

Isn't that also called a "mancave"? :cool:

I guess maybe the Chinese have not yet arrived at two cars per family yet. DW goes to shop whenever she wants and I typically stay home. Fortunately, she is a frugal shopper so I don't worry about the money - just my shrinking side of the closet. YMMV

Inside each individual pod is a chair, monitor, computer and gamepad, and men can sit and play retro 1990s games.
I essentially have a "girlfriend storage pod" where I kill time while F is shopping at manly places like Home Depot. I sit in the car, which is very comfortable, and happily play my favorite video game on one of my portable game consoles. I always have one with me, in my purse. :D

I can play in complete contentment while he shops, and he doesn't have to drive home to drop me off first. Maybe Chinese husbands should lobby to get Nintendo products imported to China, if they aren't available there. I can't see paying for a service like this.

Attachments

• All Three.jpg
    All Three.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I like when we go to the shoe stores, They have seats, I sit and enjoy the rest. Its the clothing stores that are a problem, I shuffle thru the aisles, never a chair. I dont sit on the displays for fear of a) being told to get off, 2- breaking them.

Neither DW nor I like to 'shop'; we go when we need something.......and sitting playing video games? Kill me now.

I like when we go to the shoe stores, They have seats, I sit and enjoy the rest. Its the clothing stores that are a problem, I shuffle thru the aisles, never a chair.
Head back toward the fitting rooms. Often there will will a nice couch or chairs for the men sitting while waiting for their ladies. So the women can come out and show off their choices without going farther out in the store.

Ha

Head back toward the fitting rooms. Often there will will a nice couch or chairs for the men sitting while waiting for their ladies. So the women can come out and show off their choices without going farther out in the store.

Ha

I notice this is no longer the case.
I see the old TV shows and movies and It was common up through the '60s.
When I was a boy the locally owned department stores had nice chairs for husbands to sit and review choices. Now there are no locally owned department stores and Macy's and Penny's don't even have a bench in the women's clothing section.
Back then the store had to keep the man happy as he was the one earning the money being spent. Now that money is probably earned by the shopper. Why keep hubby happy?

When I was a boy the locally owned department stores had nice chairs for husbands to sit and review choices. Now there are no locally owned department stores and Macy's and Penny's don't even have a bench in the women's clothing section.
Back then the store had to keep the man happy as he was the one earning the money being spent. Now that money is probably earned by the shopper. Why keep hubby happy?

Gravity beat me to it. Most of the stores got rid of the husband reviewing stands. The ones that do have them I will go only after the bride is in the fitting room, I kinda feel like a peeping tom if she isnt in the dressing room.:D

Even Nordstrom's doesn't even have that any more. Of course I buy everything online now so it doesn't matter.

When there used to be nice private fitting rooms with doors, Mr. A. liked to come into the fitting room with me and help me try on stuff. We caused some chicken-squawking when he did this in the kind of fitting room where there are multiple cubicles screened only by curtains. He wasn't remotely interested in seeing the other women through the curtains, but of course they didn't see it that way :LOL:

Ha

Maybe gone now, but in several downtown Seattle stores including Nordstrom, the Pacific Place Ann Taylor and I think J Crew, IRRC I did this within the year. J Crew is mostly on the ropes now. I sometimes suggest that I hit an early happy hour while GF shops, but she does like to please me in her clothes so she would prefer that I pass on her picks. I have good taste in women's clothing, in particular I can see immediately if something makes her shine. Many women I think are afraid to look really good, so they deliberately choose safe but uninteresting looks.

My first job was advertising copy boy. We worked for the daily papers, and carried heavy canvas bags of plates and proofs around to the major women's stores and department stores. I found the job basically interesting. Usually somewhere in the women's part of the store was an advertising office, where some woman would draw layouts, check proofs, etc. I think in the expensive stores the dressmakers would send models to promote new clothing styles, and the artist would draw her in the new styles. I guess that we were hauling the plates because the stores, rather than the paper owned them and warehoused them.

When I was a boy if I would accompany my Mother to an upscale women's clothing store downtown I would be placed on a couch and brought cookies and A 6 oz Coke in the iconic bottle and a glass of ice cubes. If Mom took long enough, I'd get another Coke and a resupply of cookies.

Stores have really come down, from this to effing Amazon.

Ha

Last edited:
We seldom need anything from bricks and sticks stores. Most of my buying is at Home Depot, Autozone or online.

Unless the sales are 70% off, we don't shop in person. That means we may only step into a mall store one or two times per year. I have less panic attacks that way.

Maybe gone now, but in several downtown Seattle stores including Nordstrom, the Pacific Place Ann Taylor and I think J Crew I did this within a year. J Crew is mostly on the ropes now. I sometimes suggest I hit an early happy hour while GF shops, but she does like to please me so she would prefer that I pass on her picks. I do have good taste in women,s clothing, in particular I can see immediately if something makes her shine. Many women I think are afraid to look really good, so they deliberately choose safe but uninteresting looks.

When I was a boy if I would accompany my Mother to an upscale woman's clothing store downtown I would be placed on a couch and brought cookies and A 6 oz bottled Coke. If perchance Mom took long enough, I'd get another Coke and a resupply of cookies.

Ha
I remember mom putting me on the couch near the fitting rooms to wait, I also remember being seated at the lunch counter at Woolworth's while she went browsing. She probably ordered me an egg cream or a ice cream soda.

Last edited:
I remember mom putting me on the couch near the fitting rooms to wait, I also remember being seated at the lunch counter at Woolworth's while she went browsing. She probably ordered me an egg cream or a ice cream soda.
Oh yeah, Woolworth's was great. In the years following WW2 we loved to buy lead soldiers which I think were not lead anymore but some type of die casting. I was ok with Woolworth's food especially a BLT, but we tried to leverage this up to chili dogs in a chili parlor, or sometimes White Castle burgers. My Mom wasn't too fond of chili parlors, because of the pool games being played by low types.

Ha

Last edited:
I like when we go to the shoe stores, They have seats, I sit and enjoy the rest. Its the clothing stores that are a problem, I shuffle thru the aisles, never a chair. I dont sit on the displays for fear of a) being told to get off, 2- breaking them.
Love your numbering :).

I do that too sometimes just for the annoyance factor.

a. Apples
2. Oranges
III Pears

Love your numbering :).

I do that too sometimes just for the annoyance factor.

a. Apples
2. Oranges
III Pears

This made me laugh, especially your explanation for why you do it. Somebody who dreams up deniable ways to be annoying is a gift to mankind.

Ha

She probably ordered me an egg cream or a ice cream soda.

Nobody outside NYC has any idea what an egg cream is.

Hint: It contains neither egg nor cream.

I must have had thousands of them before I left the city. Still make one for myself once in a while.

Wikipedia knows.

Wikipedia thinks it knows. And you probably wouldn't have had any idea without looking it up.

I also note that even Wikipedia omits specifying the critical ingredient. It's not just any chocolate syrup -- it must be Fox's U-Bet chocolate syrup. I'm quite serious about that -- no self-respecting soda fountain would use anything else.

Nobody outside NYC has any idea what an egg cream is.

Hint: It contains neither egg nor cream.

I must have had thousands of them before I left the city. Still make one for myself once in a while.

During Passover they make the Fox's U-bet chocolate syrup with real sugar, I get it on sale during that time and load up for the year. The rest of the year its made with corn syrup.:).

Wikipedia thinks it knows. And you probably wouldn't have had any idea without looking it up.

I also note that even Wikipedia omits specifying the critical ingredient. It's not just any chocolate syrup -- it must be Fox's U-Bet chocolate syrup. I'm quite serious about that -- no self-respecting soda fountain would use anything else.

You're right - - I had to look it up.

It's worse than you think: not only have I never seen an egg cream, I've never seen Fox's U-Bet chocolate syrup.

Back
Top Bottom