Votes: 7 6.9%
  • In 3-5 years

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • In 6-10 years

Votes: 18 17.6%
  • Never

Votes: 35 34.3%

• Total voters
Next vehicle is coming in 3 to 5 years. Ill look closely at them then. I will need something suv/crossover like. Hopefully they start spitting them out.

I'll consider it when plug-in hybrids are widely available and after their early adopters have paid the 'early adopter tax' (high initial prices) and did the QA work to make Version 2.0 of them more reliable for the rest of us. My best guess is 3-5 years, probably closer to the 5 years since we have two fairly new cars ('05 and '06) which both get 30+ MPG already.

Next month or two-- buy it used from a desperate seller and drive it into the ground.

The battery & hazmat disposal fears are [-]hyped[/-] total, absolute truth and you should never, ever buy one. Tell the sellers to contact me for assistance.

We considered the Prius when we were swopping vehicles last year. We decided against it on economic reasons - the additional costs involved would not be worth it based on our annual mileage. So until we get closer on the breakeven point on fuel costs vs purchase costs, we will continue to drive a regular car.

We will continue to drive our 8 year old, but meticulously maintained car until this all settles down, or until my wife can no longer stand to be so far behind the times!:) It probably has at least another 5 years in it.
(But dear, now it's beginning to look like a classic!)

I bought a Honda Civic hybrid in December and really enjoy it. It has so far demonstrated the same quality and reliability that we have come to expect from Honda (we have had only Honda's since 1986) and I am pleased as punch when I gas up. I traded in a 1993 Accord that averaged about 26 mpg. With the hybrid, I have recently been averaging 52 mpg on my 100 mile roundtrip daily commute.

The Honda technology is fundamentally different from the Prius. The primary motive force for the Prius is the electric motor, with a boost from the gasoline engine when necessary. By contrast, the Honda uses an ultra efficient gasoline engine as the prime motive force and uses an electric motor for boost when accelerating. As a consequence, the Honda battery is much smaller. It is located in the vertical part of the back seat and therefore is protected in the event of a collision (the downside is that the back seat doesn't fold down).

Both employ regenerative braking and the Honda also charges the battery when you are going downhill (not sure about the Prius). The Honda turns off the gasoline engine at stops and quickly and automatically restarts it when you lift your foot off the brake pedal. Neither one plugs in.

One of the reasons we went with the hybrid is that we got a $2100 federal tax credit and we did not pay the 6% state sales tax. Those two benefits alone accounted for the majority of the price difference between the hybrid and the standard versions of the Civic. And, of course, I am saving about $2000 per year on gas.

However, even if the cost of the hybrid were higher, I would still be happy with our choice. It will take the efforts of all of us to support a transition to a better technology so that we can reduce oil demand and air pollution. I am happy to do my part.

Last edited:
I've got a Prius hybrid. We went with that because of the lower total cost of ownership, which is considerably more than just gas savings.

For example, we live in a hilly area, on a hilltop. Multiple runs up and down the hills on a daily basis tend to be rough on brake life in cars with an automatic transmission. On a previous car, we were replacing brake pads every 16-18 months, and brake rotors every three years. The Prius, and similar 'strong' hybrids like the Honda Insight and Civic, use a thing called regenerative braking, which uses the engine system to brake (like a manual transmission driver could) AND recaptures the energy that would otherwise appear as heat in the brake pads and rotors. The brakes on the Prius tend to last much longer than those of conventional vehicles in our situation.

We are likely to not see any brake work for at least 5 years with this vehicle. There are other items like this, and at the end of that 5 year period, resale value is considerably better than for many other vehicles.

IntelliChoice.com Survey: Hybrids Continue to Reward Over the Long Term
ConsumerReports.org - What that car really costs to own

The Honda turns off the gasoline engine at stops and quickly and automatically restarts it when you lift your foot off the brake pedal.

Anyone know why this can't be done with a regular car?

I voted 3-5 years. I'm with the early majority on this. I want to do my bit for the planet, but I have a perfectly good 13 year old Honda which should get me where I want to go at a reasonable cost for several more years. I also want to see some of the bugs worked out and costs come down. Recently, subsidies have made it more attractive to purchase hybrids. Taxi companies in my area are buying scores of Toyota Priuses. All the taxi drivers tell me they love them and are saving a bundle on gas.

The Prius was first sold in the US in 2000 as 2001 model. When we bought our hybrid last year, we asked the local dealer how many hybrid batteries they had replaced so far. The answer was none, which was encouraging. We realize they will have to be replaced eventually, but the cost has dropped every year which along with skyrocketing gas prices makes the hybrid look smarter every day...

Have always owned smallish cars, bought a hybrid last year and the mileage is stunning. Like most if not all hybrid owners, we understood the payback would be long (although getting shorter every day). But there are other reasons to own a hybrid, significantly lower emissions is but one. Everyone understands that hybrids are not ideal and an interim approach until all-electric, fuel cells or some other technology comes along. You can either do something to reduce consumpton and emissions (10% of the oldest cars on the road are putting out 50% of the emissions) in the meantime, or wait on electric, fuel cells or whatever you think is the answer. But those technologies have a long way to go, and the day they are the 'economic' best choice are likely decades away.

I am not concerned with the emissions 'savings'.... my newest car is an ULEV which puts out VERY little emissions... so saving a small percent on that is not going to save the planet... but getting rid of my 95 Chevy might... but truth be told, it is only putting out like 5% of what I am allowed during inspection... so I could let it go to crap and STILL not have problems passing the emission test...

I checked "6-10 years" but it may be never. I'll buy one when the cost of purchase/ownership over a span of 15-20 years makes sense for me. Right now they're not even close.

And I want it in a full-size pickup truck. At least a couple of times a week I use the truck's capabilities as a truck, not a car.

It may be "greener" to keep the car you have as long as possible rather than buying any new car (because of the impact of the mfg. process) and reducing its use--combine trips, bicycle, walk. I didn't check a poll response because we won't be replacing our cars until we have to.

When that day comes we will consider all the options. We are not early adopters (although we did have a betamax for two days!) and would prefer to wait until there is some leading technology.

I noticed in today's Best Buy flyer there is a little camcorder that has a USB connector built right in (Pure Digital - Flip Video Ultra Series Camcorder - White/Silver - F260W) for $129 and I'm thinking about the hulking $1400 ginormous VHS-tape camcorder from 15 years ago or so that's in my closet. Not that the Flip camera is necessary that good (but it's got to be good as the ancient VHS camcorder), and I hope the hybrid/non-petroleum powered vehicles have evolved like this by the time we're ready for a new car!

Last edited:
I bought a Honda Civic hybrid in December and really enjoy it.

The Honda technology is fundamentally different from the Prius. The primary motive force for the Prius is the electric motor, with a boost from the gasoline engine when necessary. By contrast, the Honda uses an ultra efficient gasoline engine as the prime motive force and uses an electric motor for boost when accelerating. As a consequence, the Honda battery is much smaller.

Interesting on the sales tax break...So with the smaller battery, is the replacement battery estimated as much cheaper to replace than the Toyota and last longer?

BTW, I voted never would buy without significant payback/tax breaks...I think the "next great thing" will come along before mass acceptance...

Recently, subsidies have made it more attractive to purchase hybrids. Taxi companies in my area are buying scores of Toyota Priuses. All the taxi drivers tell me they love them and are saving a bundle on gas.

Because of the stop and go driving, taxi and delivery service may be applications where the economics look better (or at least not as bad) for hybrids.

MB

Last edited:
I selected 3-5 years. But it really depends on what happens between now and then.

We will probably purchase one in about 3 years.

My current Subaru is only 4 years old, so I'll be keeping it for another 6 years, all things remaining pretty much equal. But that is the question. Will gas prices remain pretty much the same for the next 5-10 years? I seriously doubt it. Consequently, the hybrids will likely become much more attractive as time goes on.

And I understand that Subaru is developing their own version of the hybrid with all wheel drive!

DW got rid of the mini-van (180k miles) last month and bought a Prius.

I'm driving a nine year old Camry Solara when it dies I will probably go with a hybrid . Of course the Solara might have another nine years in it . It has been the best car I've ever had .

The 'premium' isn't really all that much. Especially when you take into account the tax breaks (although for the Prius I think that one is ending soon).
I own one, my wife owns one. I will likely not buy another as I plan to purchase an all electric vehicle next (2-5 years).
As for pay back, if you don't want a higher mpg car, that is fine. But why talk about pay back? How much time passes to pay you back for the added price of a sunroof, or fancy radio, or heated seats?
For this person I wanted high mpg for two reasons. One is the enviornment (yes yes, I know the Prius isn't perfect in this area, but it is better), two is our national security. We need to import less oil and if my representatives wont work to take the country in that direction, I will do what I can personally.
Around here many would probably laugh at spending as much as I am willing to to do this. But many of the general public will spend 35k on a car so they can have leather, heated seats, and a luxury name. Well I will do that to buy a Prius with the PHEV conversion so I can get 90mpg:)

As others have noted, the type of driving will alter your mpg by quite a bit (this is even moreso with the PHEV modules). So if it is a purely economic question for you (which is perfectly fine) consider the type of driving you are going to do and talk with some owners of the brand you are looking at.

Reactions: mh
Interesting on the sales tax break...So with the smaller battery, is the replacement battery estimated as much cheaper to replace than the Toyota and last longer?

BTW, I voted never would buy without significant payback/tax breaks...I think the "next great thing" will come along before mass acceptance...

Based on what I have read, it is indeed cheaper to replace a Civic battery than a Prius battery. I must admit, however, that I have not given it much thought, since my battery is warranted for 15 years or 150k miles (pursuant to state law).

I am hopeful that by the time we replace our 1997 Accord, we will have the choice of a plug-in electric.

I'm waiting for Version 2.0 of the plug-in. Then I'm all in.

Back
Top Bottom