Wayfair Now Horrible?!

Lstansbury

Recycles dryer sheets
If you are like me, and have used Wayfair for fairly decent furniture deals in order to save money? BEWARE.

They've had my $1500 since November 2023, and just randomly changed the delivery date to mid-April. It was going to be late January. SIX MONTHS.

1. Not only did they not notify me by email (I was just checking on the delivery date since we were getting close, within the week)... the customer service excuse was "Oh well, sometimes the manufacturer doesn't deliver on time, and now it's on back order."

It wasn't labeled back order when I ordered it!

2. When I tried to leave a review on another large item, I purchased in November, there was no link for me to click to leave one. It's been 60 days since the purchase and delivery. When I asked about that issue, the response was "oh well, we don't know why - the link should be there."

When I asked customer service to ask someone else who might know? She said, "Oh, just wait another 30 days, maybe it will show up."

This is unbelievable. Now I'm starting to see bad reviews about their customer service in various places. Too late for me.

I'm not on X/Twitter anymore, so I didn't have anywhere to post a bad review warning except here!

Heads up everyone -- watch out for Wayfair!

If you are like me, and have used Wayfair for fairly decent furniture deals in order to save money? BEWARE.

2. When I tried to leave a review on another large item, I purchased in November, there was no link for me to click to leave one. It's been 60 days since the purchase and delivery. When I asked about that issue, the response was "oh well, we don't know why - the link should be there."

When I asked customer service to ask someone else who might know? She said, "Oh, just wait another 30 days, maybe it will show up."

This is unbelievable. Now I'm starting to see bad reviews about their customer service in various places. Too late for me.

I'm not on X/Twitter anymore, so I didn't have anywhere to post a bad review warning except here!

I bought an office chair from Wayfair and was expecting higher quality than the usual Chinese crap on Amazon, but what I got was the same basic cheap frame construction but with premium fabric and padding. I wrote a 3 star review, which was on Wayfair's website for a couple days. I reposted the review again and it was taken down again. I guess they edit and moderate the reviews on their site and don't allow reviews that are not sparkling in praise.

I bought an office chair from Wayfair and was expecting higher quality than the usual Chinese crap on Amazon, but what I got was the same basic cheap frame construction but with premium fabric and padding. I wrote a 3 star review, which was on Wayfair's website for a couple days. I reposted the review again and it was taken down again. I guess they edit and moderate the reviews on their site and don't allow reviews that are not sparkling in praise.

WOW! Good to know -- I'm seriously angry now. This might warrant a complaint to a governmental agency. Won't make a difference, but might make Wayfair folks a little miserable. You can't take bad reviews down, that's complete bad acting.

They've had my $1500 since November 2023, and just randomly changed the delivery date to mid-April. It was going to be late January. SIX MONTHS.

1. Not only did they not notify me by email (I was just checking on the delivery date since we were getting close, within the week)... the customer service excuse was "Oh well, sometimes the manufacturer doesn't deliver on time, and now it's on back order."

It wasn't labeled back order when I ordered it!

If you paid by credit card contact your card issuer, claim non delivery, and ask for the credit card transaction to be reversed.

Do this before you pass the credit card issuer's window for making a chargeback claim.

I read an article last week about Wayfair. They are having challenges. They just laid off 15 percent of their staff I believe.

Danger!

Last edited:
Generally, for furniture or items I haven't otherwise seen in person, I don't buy. Catalogs/web pics look great but don't really tell you about quality. And, promises are only as good as the people that makes them. Sounds like you have identified a serious flaw with this company. Thanks for the heads up.

If you paid by credit card contact your card issuer, claim non delivery, and ask for the credit card transaction to be reversed.

Do this before you pass the credit card issuer's window for making a chargeback claim.

I read an article last week about Wayfair. They are having challenges. They just laid off 15 percent of their staff I believe.

Danger!

Good to know! I did dispute on the credit card. Didn't hear about the staff lay off. SMH

Generally, for furniture or items I haven't otherwise seen in person, I don't buy. Catalogs/web pics look great but don't really tell you about quality. And, promises are only as good as the people that makes them. Sounds like you have identified a serious flaw with this company. Thanks for the heads up.

Completely agree on the idea of not purchasing furniture from online. But my SO insisted. So now he has the job of finding the furniture that fits the requirements. It took weeks of research to find this item - color, size, rails on the drawers, mostly wood, platform -- not much mfd, Under $3K for bed and side tables. Obviously a lot of other people were wooed by the description as well. And they sold out without telling their web team to stop the orders.

BTW - I also filed a complaint with BBB in the Boston area, where Wayfair's headquarters are located. Basically the unfair and deceptive advertising trade practices of allowing good reviews, (but no negative reviews) -- plus selling stuff as in stock which they don't have.

I recently read that Wayfair laid off a bunch of employees. I wonder if bankruptcy is a possibility.

Are you saying you've cancelled the order and they have not issued a refund yet? If so then yes you have a legit complaint.
If you haven't cancelled the order then do so immediately, they should then issue your refund and you can reorder when they show the product back in stock if you're still interested.
Keep in mind all the problems in the Middle East and the container ships being attacked may be part of the issue if they're coming thru the Suez Canal. I suppose that depends on where the product is shipping from.

Back in the 2021-22 period furniture delays and back orders were crazy. A bed we ordered with a 6 week timeframe got extended 3 or 4 times before I cancelled it and just went to Costco as we needed to get a king to replace our queen, and didn't want to wait months on end before getting our new mattress.

A sofa from C&B that was supposed to take 5 months took a year. Graciously though, they gave us a discount that made it very worth it.

If you haven't told them to cancel, do that before you open a CC dispute. With stuff getting diverted out of the Suez, things that are supposed to take weeks are going to take months.

This happened to me a couple of years ago. I purchased a pair of gold earrings as a gift. They were cheap, flimsy, and sent in a little drawstring sack that was filthy. I returned them and left a poor review which included a photo. My review was removed with the excuse that they don’t allow reviews of the shipping (I never mentioned shipping).

We bought a name brand couch and recliner from Wayfair back in 2016 that was priced about 40% less than the sale price in the local furniture store on the exact same items. That went very smoothly.

The last thing we got from Wayfair was last year..... a large picture that we didn't order and weren't billed for, showed up on the front porch one day. It was our address but someone else's name whom we don't know on it. No one by that name in our neighborhood. IDK......

I have only ordered a few things from them but the quality was fine and the order came quickly. Sounds like I was lucky.

If a company won't post a legitimate bad review and you still feel strongly about it.

Find their FaceBook page. Post a complaint stating the facts there.

Companies really respond to that, as it's public and they can't control the content like their own web page as much.

If a company won't post a legitimate bad review and you still feel strongly about it.

Find their FaceBook page. Post a complaint stating the facts there.

Companies really respond to that, as it's public and they can't control the content like their own web page as much.

Same thing with Twitter, er, X. I've done this in the past and it definitely works.

There is federal legislation that protects you when your item is delayed. Here's a link to the FTC: https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/w...-never-got-or-you-get-unordered-products#shop
Scroll down to "Your Rights when You Shop by Mail, Online . . ."
". . .Sellers have to ship your order within the time they (or their ads) say. That goes whether they say “2-Day Shipping” or “In Stock & Ships Today.” If they don’t give a time, they must ship within 30 days of when you placed your order.
If there’s a delay shipping your order, the seller has to tell you and give you the choice of either agreeing to the delay or canceling your order for a full refund. . ."

You get what you pay for, Wayfair is cheap for a reason. If you need furniture for an infrequently used room, Wayfair might be a good option and all you need. If you’re buying for a high use, high traffic room you can’t expect something inexpensive to last very long.

Don’t know if this is the case here, but if you buy something cheap and then write a bad review when it doesn’t hold up like a higher quality item, that’s unfair IMO.

Last edited:
You get what you pay for, Wayfair is cheap for a reason. If you need furniture for an infrequently used room, Wayfair might be a good option. If you’re buying for a high use, high traffic room you can’t expect something inexpensive to last very long.

If you buy something cheap and then write a bad review when it doesn’t hold up like a higher quality item, that’s unfair IMO.

Wayfair is cheap because they don't pay for showrooms. The quality of the merchandise is the dictated by the manufacturer, not by Wayfair. You can by from expensive manufacturers or cheap manufacturers through Wayfair. I agree that if someone buys something from a cheap manufacturer and then complains about the quality, that's something Wayfair has no control over.

I bought two medicine cabinets for my new house bathrooms. They were great quality, simple to install and fit in well. I paid $140.00 each for them.

I have been tempted to buy things from Wayfair many times, but it always bothered me that I read only positive reviews on their site. That raised a red flag in my mind. Glad I listened to my gut.

Sorry this happened to you. Very disappointing. Am glad you are spreading the word and you confirmed my suspicions.

I appreciate the head's up. We have purchased 1 item, a pet step for in front of the sofa. I had previously purchased one from Chewy.
There is no comparison. The Wayfair step is soft and immediately the foam started breaking down, to the point of being useless for a dog. It would do for a cat.
I got another Chewy step and never looked back.

Update on Wayfair

Thanks to everyone for all the good points made, -- the BBB complaint did work which shocked me. I didn't think companies really cared about BBB anymore.

Anyway, I got a call from a Wayfair customer service advocate in response to the BBB complaint today and she offered a 25% discount. I told her no thank you, we've already ordered the bed from somewhere else, and I really am not interested in using Wayfair right now.

If the email had been sent mentioning the delay, or if a rep had mentioned the Panama Canal, I would have completely understood. I saw the Panama Canal firsthand last August, and it was bad then!

Or if they had just mentioned on the website that the order was not in stock when I purchased it, I also would have been on Wayfair's side and been more flexible.

I also brought up the issues of the reviews being skewed, and that the word is out on that. Customer Advocate didn't respond to that info. It's unfortunate. I hope their customer service team takes a lesson.

Last edited:
There is federal legislation that protects you when your item is delayed. Here's a link to the FTC: https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/w...-never-got-or-you-get-unordered-products#shop
Scroll down to "Your Rights when You Shop by Mail, Online . . ."
". . .Sellers have to ship your order within the time they (or their ads) say. That goes whether they say “2-Day Shipping” or “In Stock & Ships Today.” If they don’t give a time, they must ship within 30 days of when you placed your order.
If there’s a delay shipping your order, the seller has to tell you and give you the choice of either agreeing to the delay or canceling your order for a full refund. . ."

Good to know!

Thanks to everyone for all the good points made, -- the BBB complaint did work which shocked me. I didn't think companies really cared about BBB anymore.

Anyway, I got a call from a Wayfair customer service advocate in response to the BBB complaint today and she offered a 25% discount. I told her no thank you, we've already ordered the bed from somewhere else, and I really am not interested in using Wayfair right now.

If the email had been sent mentioning the delay, or if a rep had mentioned the Panama Canal, I would have completely understood. I saw the Panama Canal firsthand last August, and it was bad then!

Or if they had just mentioned on the website that the order was not in stock when I purchased it, I also would have been on Wayfair's side and been more flexible.

I also brought up the issues of the reviews being skewed, and that the word is out on that. Customer Advocate didn't respond to that info. It's unfortunate. I hope their customer service team takes a lesson.

Yeah, that companies actually pay attention to BBB is news to me. Good to know. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom