I don't know who here recommended this detector. Thank You!

MRG

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Some time ago someone on this forum mentioned this Gas, CO detector for home use. I don't remember who you are, and can't find the thread but thank you!

I can't smell the stuff they put in nat gas and bought this because I sometimes hit the knob on our gas stove. I got up at 4:44 AM and must have hit the knob on the stove. At 4:55 AM this thing woke us up in our back bedroom. If it hadn't woke us up our parlor stove has a nice pilot light that may have detected the gas!

Thanks for the recommendation! 20190213_110806.jpeg

Some time ago someone on this forum mentioned this Gas, CO detector for home use. I don't remember who you are, and can't find the thread but thank you!

I can't smell the stuff they put in nat gas and bought this because I sometimes hit the knob on our gas stove. I got up at 4:44 AM and must have hit the knob on the stove. At 4:55 AM this thing woke us up in our back bedroom. If it hadn't woke us up our parlor stove has a nice pilot light that may have detected the gas!

Thanks for the recommendation! View attachment 30805

Wow...could've been a vastly different outcome. Glad you're still with us, MRG.:greetings10:

omni

I'd like to second the Wow! :D

MRG, I can't see the brand/model in the attachment. Can you post the details? Thank you.

Glad you are still here. Now I am wondering about members not heard from in a while. Did we lose them in an explosion? :D

Just to be clear and avoid any potential confusion, a CO (only) detector will not detect natural gas. However, and this must be the case for the OP who referred to theirs as a "Gas, CO detector," there are combination detectors available designed to detect both natural gas and CO gas. The photo appears to show a model made by Kidde.

And here is why mercaptan odorant is added to all public gas utility systems. It wasn't a requirement " Back in the good ol days "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_London_School_explosion.

I have an acquaintance in Tennessee who taps off one of the gas wells on his land . He is allowed a specific limited amount free . filters and drys the gas for use in his home and barn. No odorant. It's free but :hide:

And here is why mercaptan odorant is added to all public gas utility systems. It wasn't a requirement " Back in the good ol days "

I have an acquaintance in Tennessee who taps off one of the gas wells on his land . He is allowed a specific limited amount free . filters and drys the gas for use in his home and barn. No odorant. It's free but :hide:

Thanks, that was interesting to see the old news reel, and now I know :flowers:

MRG,

Maybe this was the post you recall. I'm very glad this worked out for you.
No point in being ER'ed if you're "blowed up!"

MRG,

Maybe this was the post you recall. I'm very glad this worked out for you.
No point in being ER'ed if you're "blowed up!"

Yes that's the post. You can see my response downstream. I'm so glad you posted that and I followed your brilliant suggestion. [emoji111]

I had no idea this technology existed before you posted. Our stove with leaking gas is much closer to the pilot light on the parlor stove than our bedroom.

Your post likely saved our lives, our dogs, and our home! Thank you!

If you are ever in SW CO I want to buy you dinner..

MRG

Last edited:
Your post likely saved our lives, our dogs, and our home! Thank you!

MRG,
Thanks, obviously that makes me feel great. But kudos to you for following through and getting the thing installed. Suggestions/ideas are a dime a dozen, implementation is what counts. Again, thanks.

After the original post a few months ago I also went out and got a Nat Gas detector.

I have no sense of smell and our gas stove knobs are very touchy...

Thanks to samclem.

Just ordered 2 of these. Thank you, MRG and samclem!

I didn’t know they had these. I already have CO detectors, but I went on Amazon and there is a gas detector and I just bought it. Thanks for the idea. I’ve had a couple instances where the stove got bumped and gas was leaking but the ignition did not go off. This will be a good add to the kitchen. Thanks for the idea/knowledge.

FYI Home Depot has it for $50.
cheapest on Amazon is 57+20 shipping...

I bought mine on eBay from Zoro Tools. I paid $49.47 with free shipping.

It is the same gas that coal miners have dealt with over the millenia...

Imagine working in a coal mine with an open flame (carbide lamp) on your head. Before machinery, it was drilled then blasted out.:confused: Then a flame safety lamp was invented after it was discovered that a flame is cooled below the ignition temperature when surrounded by a screen mesh.

Battery caps lights became available early 1900's, but not universally accepted.

Methane explodes at 5-10%, but since 1969, all work but stop until it is below 1%. Modern handheld electronic detectors, if properly calibrated before each shift, now monitor carbon monoxide, methane and oxygen content.

I didn’t know they had these. I already have CO detectors, but I went on Amazon and there is a gas detector and I just bought it. Thanks for the idea. I’ve had a couple instances where the stove got bumped and gas was leaking but the ignition did not go off. This will be a good add to the kitchen. Thanks for the idea/knowledge.

I bought the following detector as I mentioned above.

https://www.amazon.com/KerKoor-Dete...words=kerkoor&qid=1551551983&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Today it was tested and worked great. DW either did not fully shut off the burner or bumped it but gas was leaking (no flame) because the knob was turned just a little bit. Well, the detector went off before I even smelled the gas. It was a great test with good results. The detector went off when the level hit 3. Before we figured out what was going on, it went up to 4. Once we figured out the burner was slightly on and turned it off, it started going down. Seems to be pretty sensitive.

I do not have gas in my home. My motorhome has a gas detector mounted near the floor, right under the stove/oven. The detector was wired to run off both the house battery and the engine battery for redundancy.

Back
Top Bottom