I had words with TWO different cops today...

jeff2006 said:
Not at all.  I am not making a value judgement that you should be put in jail for anything.  Rather, I'm making a prediction that you will, if you keep pushing your luck with the police.

Love it!

As much difficulty as I have being discreet, I still think that if I were a 2x felon working for a finance company I would be doing a lot of "yes sir, no sir, on the double sir" to any cop that was addressing me.

I am a little surprised that a finance company employs a felon. I know if I were a potential customer of that company that would be something I would like to know about. And it wouldn't make me more eager to bring my business to them because they are such enlightened employers.

Ha

thefed said:
I'm 23, I own 4 homes, and I hold a decent position with a finance company that requires a 4 yr degree, which I dont have (I think my attiude got me the position...seriously).  I have a wonderful fiance, baby boy,and family.  I own a business which earns me more money than my 9-5,yet I work only 20 hrs/month.  I earn enough to pay my mortgage from an e-commerce business I recently established. I built a 500hp motor from scratch using a book and the internet as a guide last year, having never done anything like it before (that's an accomplishment...right?). I've sold 2 homes for profit in the last 1.5 years.  I've sold 2 contracts on homes for money more recently. I'm 90% done establishing a business line of credit worth $350k.  I just finished bulding a 350 sf deck by hand, alone.   Shall I go on?

Show a little class. Whatever greatness you have or think you have is overshadowed by posts like this.

HaHa said:
I am a little surprised that a finance company employs a felon. I know if I were a potential customer of that company that would be something I would like to know about. And it wouldn't make me more eager to bring my business to them because they are such enlightened employers.

Ha

Why would you care? Most finance company customers care about two things:  will you give me the money? and how much will the payment be?  I doubt the customers care if the employee giving them the answers to those questions is a felon, hari krishna, space alien, or Jeffrey Daumer, as long as the answers to those questions are satisfactory.

brewer12345 said:
Why would you care? Most finance company customers care about two things:  will you give me the money? and how much will the payment be?  I doubt the customers care if the employee giving them the answers to those questions is a felon, hari krishna, space alien, or Jeffrey Daumer, as long as the answers to those questions are satisfactory.

Well, you may be different, or you may be joking, but I wouldn't want my bank teller to be a felon either. Or any one that I might need to give my SSN to, or to reveal my financial information, or my net wroth, or my address, or...

Not real difficult to understand from where I sit.

Ha

eridanus said:
Wow. The Law & Order camp is out in force today. :LOL:
HaHa said:
Well, you may be different, or you may be joking, but I wouldn't want my bank teller to be a felon either. Or any one that I might need to give my SSN to, or to reveal my financial information, or my net wroth, or my address, or...
I think that's highly dependent on the person, especially if "youthful indiscretions" are followed by unblemished performance.

Some of my best & brightest sailors had pre-service drug waivers, and a hot topic was how many times you could "experiment" with marijuana before it became "habitual".

brewer12345 said:
I'm as liberal as the next guy, but I wouldn't take no money from a d@mn space alien. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

HaHa said:

Not real difficult to understand from where I sit.

Ha

Why would your social security number or other financial iformation be compromised easier when viewed by a felon vs. a person without a criminal record? Do you know how many types of felonies there are? Why would a guy who grew pot in his basment be a threat to you financially? Just wondering. I do see your point, but im curious where you are coming from.

MASTERBLASTER:
"Show a little class. Whatever greatness you have or think you have is overshadowed by posts like this."

In case you missed it, I was making a point. Some of those things are great accomplishments in my eyes,and some are only superficial. Re-read my post, including the line right before all that stuff, and you MAY see my point. If not, just forget what you read and move on.

And regarding "yes sir, no sir" etc....I wasn't rude to the guy at all I was straight forward and to the point. in fact, the first thing you read on my post is my line, which was "yes, sir". Some things come across as smart-ass, but in real life, I was simply asking questions and making my point ina way that HE would understand. And once he realized he was wrong, it was evident.

Lets-Retire: I totally understand elaving the van running waqs dumb, and even a ticketable offense. It makes sense. I never argued that with him. For your response to 'part 2', I'm confused. What does him being visible and him shinign a light on me while I loaded my work van have to do with one another? Headlights would've been a great alternative if being visible was the goal. Instead, he crept up with parking lights on and blasted me with a light!

Andfinally, why should i use spell checl whn takling abuto police? do thye deserve more internet 'respect' than us other shmucks on the forum? enlightnen em please

Nords said:
I think that's highly dependent on the person, especially if "youthful indiscretions" are followed by unblemished performance.

Some of my best & brightest sailors had pre-service drug waivers, and a hot topic was how many times you could "experiment" with marijuana before it became "habitual".

Nords said:

I am always surprised by the circumlocutions favored by many posters.  The Fed said
Some would even argue that I accomplished quite a bit when I was 'breaking the law'. I won't elaborate for the sake of staying on topic.

Well, he didn’t go any further because he wanted to “stay on topic”. But it sounds as if he was operating an illegal enterprise, not having a joint with his GF.

Let’s get real here.

Ha

HaHa said:
I am always surprised by the circumlocutions favored by many posters.

Ha baby, I had to throw this word into a dictionary. The word reminded me of Into the Mystic's aka DanTien's circumcision poll :-X circumcision/electrocution.

thefed said:
Why would your social security number or other financial iformation be compromised easier when viewed by a felon vs. a person without a criminal record? Do you know how many  types of felonies there are? Why would a guy who grew pot in his basment be a threat to you financially? Just wondering.  I do see your point, but im curious where you are coming from.

Well Fed, you are absolutely right. I don't know that a felon would always and necessarily be a greater risk to my information than a law abiding citizen. But let's just say I am not completely inexperienced with law breakers, and they tend to hang around with other lawbreakers, have different value systems from the mainstream, and have demonstrated- in your case twice-judgment or lack of ethics severe enough to get convicted of a felony.

But just as I don’t invest in stocks with lousy balance sheets,  even though I know quite well that every or even most stocks with lousy balance sheets will not go bankrupt, I don’t see the point in running a risk that is clearly greater than zero.

IMO felons, alcoholics, dopers, DUI recipients are different from those who don’t fit those categories. And for financial probity, I doubt the difference is usually positive.

But hey, anyone with a different idea, be my guest.

Ha

cube_rat said:
Ha baby, I had to throw this word into a dictionary. The word reminded me of Into the Mystic's aka DanTien's circumcision poll  :-X circumcision/electrocution

My Dear Cube-

I think I am the circumlocutor in this case. I looked it up in the OED after seeing your post, and it really isn't the word I was looking for. There is a word, but right now I can't get it. So to avoid further circumlocution, I will desist.  :)

It was interesting to see the derivation of circumcision vs. circumlocution. Both words connote going around, in the case of circumlocution, going around the point ("beat around the bush"); and in the case of circumcision going around you know what.  ::)

Ha

HaHa said:
Both words connote going around, in the case of circumlocution, going around the point ("beat around the bush"); and in the case of circumcision going around you know what. ::)

Which, in this case, is just another form of "beating around the bush."

Sorry. :)

"What once were vices now are habits"

The Doobie Brothers

And look how Skunk Baxter turned out... :p

HaHa said:
I think I am the circumlocutor in this case. I looked it up in the OED after seeing your post, and it really isn't the word I was looking for. There is a word, but right now I can't get it.

Something to do with being circumspect, I would guess? ;)

As far as Thefed's misadventures with his local PD go, I suspect that he may not have fully internalized the fact that now that he is a hard working taxpaying citizen, the police are there to serve him. So when a cop shows up at 10pm and checks for suspicious activities, he is protecting him from those bad guys hiding in the shadows. You are better off thanking the nice officer, telling him he is doing a good job and sending him off feeling all warm and fuzzy. That way next time you will get even better service for your taxpayer dollar 8)

HaHa said:
Well Fed, you are absolutely right. I don't know that a felon would always and necessarily be a greater risk to my information than a law abiding citizen. But let's just say I am not completely inexperienced with law breakers, and they tend to hang around with other lawbreakers, have different value systems from the mainstream, and have demonstrated- in your case twice-judgment or lack of ethics severe enough to get convicted of a felony.

But just as I don’t invest in stocks with lousy balance sheets, even though I know quite well that every or even most stocks with lousy balance sheets will not go bankrupt, I don’t see the point in running a risk that is clearly greater than zero.

IMO felons, alcoholics, dopers, DUI recipients are different from those who don’t fit those categories. And for financial probity, I doubt the difference is usually positive.

But hey, anyone with a different idea, be my guest.

Ha

I agree entirely with this post. It's one of the few in this thread I can say that about!! Everythings a calculated risk when it comes to things like finances, and went calculating, I'd rather circumlocute the dopers (did i use that right?...lol) One question though...what did you mean by 'in your case-twice'? If you are referring to an earlier post referring to multiple felonies, they all stemmed from the same incident. I learned from my mistakes :D If not, please explain...I didnt get it

Haha: In order to avoid any further circumlocutions, I will elaborate. I grew pot. It was GOOD pot. I was like a wine connosuier (sorry about the spelling), but I taste tested weed. Blueberry, bubblegum, fresh, aged, sticky, dry, colorful, green, certain 'high characteristics' etc. I cloned the best, cross-polinated between species and even created a certain strain that is catching on in an intenational level. It is a hardy, stout, potent,high yielding cerebral high with fragrences of purple bubblegum. As you can see, I wasnt a 'normal' pothead. I grew it and enjoyed the process of nurturing the plant, coming up with different species and varieties. I had blind taste tests with friends. It was not what someone might perceive as a stereotypical drug felon.

Anyway, I want to take this opportunit to apologize to anyone here who is tired of reading this back-and-forth banter, but cant help themselves enough to stop reading it! I'm at this site dily for one reason...to learn about money and the possibilities of FIRE. I value most of your opinions, and hope I can be a contributor of decent information on this site. I have gotten off track with my posts lately, posting about anything and everything. The one thing I've learned is I'm posting to a demographically opposite audience (opposite of myself). This results in many conflicting views, opinions, and ideas. There are a few people here more open minded than the rest, and not so eager to place blame or incinuate a dislike for me and my ideas/experiences. But such is life.

And now I'm going to go smoke a fat doobie and drink some beers, while riding around town with my 15 month old son in the car without a carseat. I will listen to hip hop music that degrades women and run red lights.

(Sorry, couldnt help it...its the smartass in me coming out)

Scrooge said:
As far as Thefed's misadventures with his local PD go, I suspect that he may not have fully internalized the fact that now that he is a hard working taxpaying citizen, the police are there to serve him. So when a cop shows up at 10pm and checks for suspicious activities, he is protecting him from those bad guys hiding in the shadows. You are better off thanking the nice officer, telling him he is doing a good job and sending him off feeling all warm and fuzzy. That way next time you will get even better service for your taxpayer dollar 8)

that really hit home. I think you are 100% correct. For whatever reason, I see most cops still as 'the other team'. However, I must say, some in this town ARE still out to get me. Problem is, they cant...there's nothing to get!!!

thanks for the post

thefed said:
I agree entirely with this post.  It's one of the few in this thread I can say that about!!   Everythings a calculated risk when it comes to things like finances, and went calculating, I'd rather circumlocute the dopers (did i use that right?...lol) One question though...what did you mean by 'in your case-twice'?  If you are referring to an earlier post referring to multiple felonies, they all stemmed from the same incident.  I learned from my mistakes :D If not, please explain...I didnt get it

Fed, I misunderstood. Sorry for misrepresenting your experiences, which as you say are mild enough.

Ha

thefed said:
In order to avoid any further circumlocutions, I will elaborate. I grew pot. It was GOOD pot.
There but for the grace of God go I.... But I also agree with Scrooge that your experiences may be overly negatively affecting your attitudes towards cops.

So, if the legal climate changes can we get growing tips ;)

thefed said:
I
Haha: In order to avoid any further circumlocutions, I will elaborate.  I grew pot.  It was GOOD pot.  I was like a wine connosuier (sorry about the spelling), but I taste tested weed. Blueberry, bubblegum, fresh, aged, sticky, dry, colorful, green, certain 'high characteristics' etc.  I  cloned the best, cross-polinated between species and even created a certain strain that is catching on in an intenational level.  It is a hardy, stout, potent,high yielding cerebral high with fragrences of purple bubblegum.  As you can see, I wasnt a 'normal' pothead.  I grew it and enjoyed the process of nurturing the plant, coming up with different species and varieties.  I had blind taste tests with friends.  It was not what someone might perceive as a stereotypical drug felon.

Holy crap. If you were willing to work theat hard on an illegal hobby, I now understand why you are willing to do rehab rental properties.

thefed said:
Lets-Retire:  I totally understand elaving the van running waqs dumb, and even a ticketable offense. It makes sense.  I never argued that with him. For your response to 'part 2', I'm confused.  What does him being visible and him shinign a light on me while I loaded my work van have to do with one another? Headlights would've been a great alternative if being visible was the goal. Instead, he crept up with parking lights on and blasted me with a light!

Andfinally, why should i use spell checl whn takling abuto police? do thye deserve more internet 'respect' than us other shmucks on the forum? enlightnen em please

Using only headlights does not distinguish the vehicle or the officer as law enforcement. I've seen cases thrown out because the officer did not use the 'specialized' lighting given. The argument was the bad guy couldn't tell the officer was the po-po. The spot light and take down lights are a lot brighter. The officer was making contact with someone he thought was suspicious. The last thing he wants is to go into the situation and not be able to see what is going on. You said he approached with his parking lights on. The allows you to keep your night vision intact for a few seconds longer. If you did have bad intentions, for a few seconds after he lit you up you are essentially blind which increases his safety. If he had approached with his headlights on the the spot light would not have been as effective at temporarily blinding you, increasing the danger to the officer.

The point about using spell check is that when you are complaining about someone and you have numerous errors it makes you look very stupid. The same point can be made when complaining about lawyers, doctors, bankers, or anybody else in a profession that requires education. It takes away from your complaint and makes you look like a little whiny kid.

The point about using spell check is that when you are complaining about someone and you have numerous errors it makes you look very stupid. The same point can be made when complaining about lawyers, doctors, bankers, or anybody else in a profession that requires education.

Well, if some of the dealings I've had with the police over the years are any indication, I'd say education is optional. So spell check isn't that critical when you rant about them. :D There are a lot of good cops out there, but let's face it, just like any group they're only human, so there are bound to be bad apples. Doesn't mean that they're ALL bad. But it doesn't mean they're all perfect little angels that deserve the utmost respect and never a bad word should be said about them.

Cute & Fuzzy HFWR said:
"What once were vices now are habits"
The Doobie Brothers
And look how Skunk Baxter turned out...  :p
I wish I'd known about his security clearances when I was trying to get the paperwork processed on my guys! Heck, they could have called it the "Baxter Waiver"...

Back
Top Bottom