Join Early Retirement Today

Re: I had words with TWO different cops today...
Old 08-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This reminds me a bit of an incident that happened a few years ago to a buddy of mine. I was working that night delivering pizzas. He stopped off at the 7-eleven a few doors down, bought a soda and some junk food, and then walked up to say hey to me.

When he got back, he had gotten a ticket. Now he was lucky that the issuing cop was still in the store, and he had his receipt which had a time stamp on it from not that long ago, plus the store clerk vouched for him. The cop was cool and just tore up the ticket. But he could've had to go to court, waste his time, and end up losing a lot of money in pay/leave, even if he was found not guilty.

It turns out that 7-Eleven actually owns the concrete slab directly out in front of the store, which probably holds about 8 or 9 parking spaces. If he was anywhere else in the parking lot, he would've been okay, but just those spots.

IMO this isn't right. I think the owner/clerk/manager has the responsibility to call a tow truck and have the offending car towed away. I don't consider parking on "private property" like that to be a law, but a rule. If somebody parked a car in my yard and left it, could I call the cops to come give it a ticket, or would I have to call a tow service to have it removed? If it was out there long enough, I could complain to the county and say it's an abandoned car and they might come tow it, but I don't see how something like this is a ticketable offense. IMO at least, you're not violating any laws by parking on 7-eleven's property. You're violating 7-Eleven's rule. And the last time I checked, the county cops don't work for 7-eleven.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2006, 12:04 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

The parking lot is probably governed by ordinances and state traffic laws such as handicap parking and fire zone parking. The police officer should have jurisdiction to issue tickets. Otherwise, everyone would igore handicap parking signs, loading zones, and firelanes.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2006
Fed -- I don't care what you do one way or the other, about anything. But if you are interested in having a good life as a "solid citizen," which your earlier posts indicate is the case, you need to drop some of the attitude, at the very least until you have actually accomplished something in life. If you don't you're headed for serious trouble. Jails are full of tough guys with a lot of attitude. It's all up to you . . .
What Now you imply that I should've been put in jail because....I parked in a loading zone at Lowe's? Or because I questioned the authority of a cop who had overstepped his boundaries (please recall my van was parked on a sign that read LOADING ZONE, and I was LOADING a hot water heater).

And I will go out on a limb here, having never read any of your posts.... I'd be willing to bet that I have 'accomplished somethign in life" at a much younger age than many here...specifically you. Why specifically you? Because I feel you have an unjustified attitude...and you know, you cant have an attitude (aka stand up for yourself) unless you've accomplished something, like, uhh...have a big retirement account.

I'm 23, I own 4 homes, and I hold a decent position with a finance company that requires a 4 yr degree, which I dont have (I think my attiude got me the position...seriously). I have a wonderful fiance, baby boy,and family. I own a business which earns me more money than my 9-5,yet I work only 20 hrs/month. I earn enough to pay my mortgage from an e-commerce business I recently established. I built a 500hp motor from scratch using a book and the internet as a guide last year, having never done anything like it before (that's an accomplishment...right?). I've sold 2 homes for profit in the last 1.5 years. I've sold 2 contracts on homes for money more recently. I'm 90% done establishing a business line of credit worth $350k. I just finished bulding a 350 sf deck by hand, alone. Shall I go on?

So as far as I'm concerned, I can and will continue to have an attitude...I feel I've accomplished quite a bit for my age. Some would even argue that I accomplished quite a bit when I was 'breaking the law'. I won't elaborate for the sake of staying on topic.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
situation 1:

Im at lowes, returning a hot water tank and grabbing a new one from the shelf.* I left my van on, and running for some dumb reason.* I parked in a zone labled "LOADING ZONE".

When I got back outside (7-8 mins??) I found a police officer writing me a ticket!! Once I parked the cart with the new hot water tank by the van, he asked if it was mine.

ME: "yes sir"

him" You know, youre parked in a fire lane...you've earned yourself a ticket"

me: "This is a loading zone"

him:" No son, this is a fire zone....the whole thing"

me, backing up to show him what we were standing on "This yellow sign on the ground says loading zone

him" Its only loading if someone stays out here with the van"

me" oh, i didnt see that sign"

him "he, he, he.* Funny guy huh? Well i see your vans running, that's going to run you anther few bucks...unattended running vehicle"

me" this is crazy...this is private property...can you even be here doing this?"

He went on to say he had permission from mgmt.* I advised him I'd JUST finished up a 20 minute conversation with the store manager , and I'd be happy to go get him (we had been discussing my commercial account).* I also told him I wanted his supervisor as I stomped off, asking back "Im not under arrest am I? I'm stepping inside to get the mgmt"

I fond the guy I'd been speaking with, and he told the cop straight out "This is a good guy...he can be here in the loading zone as long as he wants...hes more than welcome here"* The cop was getting pissy and rude but another car showed up...the cheif!! I think he actually called him when i told him i wanted a supervisor.

The chief basically covered for the dude, but also tore up the ticket and sent me on my way.

Funny thing is, by the time I was loaded, I saw the same cop 300 yards away in a target parkign lot probably looking for people crossing yellow parking line or something...lol

Situation 2:

Im outside at 10 pm loading my work van.* A cop drives by slowly towards the dead end 100 yds away. He shines his light on me and keeps moving,. However, on the return trip 30 seconds later, he stops RIGHT in front of my house, and shines his bright car flashlight on me for a good 15 seconds.* By then I got out of the van and approaced his car (100 feet away??) He rolled down the passenger window and I asked if there was a problem.* He said no, just watching for suspicious activity.* I told him he should be a bit more discreet. I then asked him to keep his light to himself, there really was no reason for it.* He obliged and drove off

interesting day
I don't know where you live so I don't know your laws, but in Florida it goes something like this: If the parking lot is open to the public like Lowe's, Home Depot, Kmart, Wally World, etc. then it is up to the Police Chief or Sheriff to determine if they will write tickets on the property. A loading zone is just that for loading and unloading. It seems you parked in a spot returned merchandise and went shopping for a replacement. Loading and unloading is defined as putting something/someone into or taking it out of a vehicle. So in Florida, you could receive a citation for the infraction. Leaving the engine running on an unattended vehicle is also an infraction and you can receive a citation. The way it worked in my neck of the woods was if the Chief or Sheriff said I can write the citation then they won't pull my authority in front of a person, too many people left them there with their cars and equipment. If the store management doesn't want the area enforced then he needs to remove all markings and let everyone parking in the loading zone. The fire zone is required by law and store management are not allowed to stop enforcement.

Part 2

I would want the officer to be as visible as possible. The bad guys see the officers around and have a tendency to go away, at least until the cops are gone.

If you are going to complain about the police at least have the common courtesy to use spell check
Old 08-21-2006, 03:01 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Now you imply that I should've been put in jail because....
Not at all. I am not making a value judgement that you should be put in jail for anything. Rather, I'm making a prediction that you will, if you keep pushing your luck with the police.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2006
Not at all.* I am not making a value judgement that you should be put in jail for anything.* Rather, I'm making a prediction that you will, if you keep pushing your luck with the police.
Love it!

As much difficulty as I have being discreet, I still think that if I were a 2x felon working for a finance company I would be doing a lot of "yes sir, no sir, on the double sir" to any cop that was addressing me.

I am a little surprised that a finance company employs a felon. I know if I were a potential customer of that company that would be something I would like to know about. And it wouldn't make me more eager to bring my business to them because they are such enlightened employers.

Ha
Old 08-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #27

Quote:
I'm 23, I own 4 homes, and I hold a decent position with a finance company that requires a 4 yr degree, which I dont have (I think my attiude got me the position...seriously).* I have a wonderful fiance, baby boy,and family.* I own a business which earns me more money than my 9-5,yet I work only 20 hrs/month.* I earn enough to pay my mortgage from an e-commerce business I recently established. I built a 500hp motor from scratch using a book and the internet as a guide last year, having never done anything like it before (that's an accomplishment...right?). I've sold 2 homes for profit in the last 1.5 years.* I've sold 2 contracts on homes for money more recently. I'm 90% done establishing a business line of credit worth $350k.* I just finished bulding a 350 sf deck by hand, alone.* *Shall I go on?
Show a little class. Whatever greatness you have or think you have is overshadowed by posts like this.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:25 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I am a little surprised that a finance company employs a felon. I know if I were a potential customer of that company that would be something I would like to know about. And it wouldn't make me more eager to bring my business to them because they are such enlightened employers.

Ha
Why would you care? Most finance company customers care about two things: *will you give me the money? and how much will the payment be? *I doubt the customers care if the employee giving them the answers to those questions is a felon, hari krishna, space alien, or Jeffrey Daumer, as long as the answers to those questions are satisfactory.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:51 PM   #29

Wow. The Law & Order camp is out in force today.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:58 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Why would you care? Most finance company customers care about two things: *will you give me the money? and how much will the payment be? *I doubt the customers care if the employee giving them the answers to those questions is a felon, hari krishna, space alien, or Jeffrey Daumer, as long as the answers to those questions are satisfactory.
Well, you may be different, or you may be joking, but I wouldn't want my bank teller to be a felon either. Or any one that I might need to give my SSN to, or to reveal my financial information, or my net wroth, or my address, or...

Not real difficult to understand from where I sit.

Ha

Old 08-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus
Wow. The Law & Order camp is out in force today.
Quote:
Well, you may be different, or you may be joking, but I wouldn't want my bank teller to be a felon either. Or any one that I might need to give my SSN to, or to reveal my financial information, or my net wroth, or my address, or...
I think that's highly dependent on the person, especially if "youthful indiscretions" are followed by unblemished performance.

Some of my best & brightest sailors had pre-service drug waivers, and a hot topic was how many times you could "experiment" with marijuana before it became "habitual".

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I'm as liberal as the next guy, but I wouldn't take no money from a d@mn space alien.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:13 PM   #33

Quote:

Not real difficult to understand from where I sit.

Ha

Why would your social security number or other financial iformation be compromised easier when viewed by a felon vs. a person without a criminal record? Do you know how many types of felonies there are? Why would a guy who grew pot in his basment be a threat to you financially? Just wondering. I do see your point, but im curious where you are coming from.

MASTERBLASTER:
"Show a little class. Whatever greatness you have or think you have is overshadowed by posts like this."

In case you missed it, I was making a point. Some of those things are great accomplishments in my eyes,and some are only superficial. Re-read my post, including the line right before all that stuff, and you MAY see my point. If not, just forget what you read and move on.

And regarding "yes sir, no sir" etc....I wasn't rude to the guy at all I was straight forward and to the point. in fact, the first thing you read on my post is my line, which was "yes, sir". Some things come across as smart-ass, but in real life, I was simply asking questions and making my point ina way that HE would understand. And once he realized he was wrong, it was evident.

Lets-Retire: I totally understand elaving the van running waqs dumb, and even a ticketable offense. It makes sense. I never argued that with him. For your response to 'part 2', I'm confused. What does him being visible and him shinign a light on me while I loaded my work van have to do with one another? Headlights would've been a great alternative if being visible was the goal. Instead, he crept up with parking lights on and blasted me with a light!

Andfinally, why should i use spell checl whn takling abuto police? do thye deserve more internet 'respect' than us other shmucks on the forum? enlightnen em please

Old 08-21-2006, 06:16 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I think that's highly dependent on the person, especially if "youthful indiscretions" are followed by unblemished performance.

Some of my best & brightest sailors had pre-service drug waivers, and a hot topic was how many times you could "experiment" with marijuana before it became "habitual".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

I am always surprised by the circumlocutions favored by many posters.* The Fed said
Quote:
Some would even argue that I accomplished quite a bit when I was 'breaking the law'. I won't elaborate for the sake of staying on topic.
Well, he didnít go any further because he wanted to ďstay on topicĒ. But it sounds as if he was operating an illegal enterprise, not having a joint with his GF.

Letís get real here.

Ha
Old 08-21-2006, 06:23 PM   #35

Quote:
I am always surprised by the circumlocutions favored by many posters.
Ha baby, I had to throw this word into a dictionary. The word reminded me of Into the Mystic's aka DanTien's circumcision poll circumcision/electrocution.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:34 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why would your social security number or other financial iformation be compromised easier when viewed by a felon vs. a person without a criminal record? Do you know how many *types of felonies there are? Why would a guy who grew pot in his basment be a threat to you financially? Just wondering. *I do see your point, but im curious where you are coming from.
Well Fed, you are absolutely right. I don't know that a felon would always and necessarily be a greater risk to my information than a law abiding citizen. But let's just say I am not completely inexperienced with law breakers, and they tend to hang around with other lawbreakers, have different value systems from the mainstream, and have demonstrated- in your case twice-judgment or lack of ethics severe enough to get convicted of a felony.

But just as I donít invest in stocks with lousy balance sheets, *even though I know quite well that every or even most stocks with lousy balance sheets will not go bankrupt, I donít see the point in running a risk that is clearly greater than zero.

IMO felons, alcoholics, dopers, DUI recipients are different from those who donít fit those categories. And for financial probity, I doubt the difference is usually positive.

But hey, anyone with a different idea, be my guest.

Ha

Old 08-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Ha baby, I had to throw this word into a dictionary. The word reminded me of Into the Mystic's aka DanTien's circumcision poll* circumcision/electrocution.*
My Dear Cube-

I think I am the circumlocutor in this case. I looked it up in the OED after seeing your post, and it really isn't the word I was looking for. There is a word, but right now I can't get it. So to avoid further circumlocution, I will desist.*

It was interesting to see the derivation of circumcision vs. circumlocution. Both words connote going around, in the case of circumlocution, going around the point ("beat around the bush"); and in the case of circumcision going around you know what.* :

Ha

Old 08-21-2006, 07:07 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Both words connote going around, in the case of circumlocution, going around the point ("beat around the bush"); and in the case of circumcision going around you know what. :
Which, in this case, is just another form of "beating around the bush."

Sorry.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:55 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"What once were vices now are habits"

The Doobie Brothers

And look how Skunk Baxter turned out... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:44 PM   #40

Quote:
IMO felons, alcoholics, dopers, DUI recipients are different from those who donít fit those categories.
What's George Bush got to do with this?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/bushdui1.html