I have "IAD"

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Internet Addiction Disorder

My wife tells me I am 'addicted' to the net. I'm on the pc most waking hours. I contend that it is 80% work, 20% curiosity...which it is.

I LOVE looking 'stuff' up and learning new things. I think anyone would be a fool NOT to take advantage of this indefinitely comprehensive knowledge base we call the internet

I also have this URGE and DRIVE to make a lot of $$...it's been in me since birth. So if I'm not moving toward that ultimate goal (more $$, ER, etc) in some way at ALL times, I'm not happy. That means that I spend a lot of time searching the internet for new ways to promote my business, build a real estate empire,get new ideas for making $$, LBYM, ER, consumer reviews, etc

I think the internet is 'addiciting' in a sense, but since its really a social medium is 'it' really a 'thing' we can be addicted to?

So did you get married fed? Or is this a Leonardo type of marriage?

Yes, the internet is addictive. Get off your rear and play with your son. ;)

Agreed. It's like having the world's libraries at your fingertips. But stuff I never found in any library in my area.

Where else could you find schematics for the amazing electro-mechanical vibrato/chorus unit for a Hammond organ!

http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq/a-100/schem1.jpg

Amazing use of the available 1930's technology:
Vibrato and chorus

Ah, the elusive scanner vibrato. This is the real rocket science about the Hammond. The signal is fed into a delay line with eight tapping points. A rotating air-dielectric capacitor switch, the scanner, shifts the actual tapping point back and forth along the line, so the output signal, as tapped from the line, periodically shifts in pitch. The rotor is driven by the generator shaft, incidentally.
Vibrato is generated by using that signal; chorus is generated by mixing this 'wet' signal with the 'dry' signal from the generator. The scanner vibrato acts as a sweeping filter, by the way, which gives a very slight phaser effect. Vibrato and chorus are controlled by an on/off switch and a six-way switch with settings V1, V2, V3, C1, C2, and C3.

-ERD50

Agreed. It's like having the world's libraries at your fingertips. But stuff I never found in any library in my area.

Where else could you find schematics for the amazing electro-mechanical vibrato/chorus unit for a Hammond organ!

Amazing use of the available 1930's technology:

-ERD50
I knew that there was something to this when (about 11 years ago) I asked my then college freshman son an obscure question. He went away and about 1 1/2 minutes later came back with the answer. It was past 9pm so the library was not open ... and it was the type of question that you would have to research ... not in the old encylopedia that we had.
I asked him how he got the answer ... and he said ... the internet. I had my business line set up at home, and I think it might have even been a dial up? I quickly started looking at this new thing called the internet...
It took a little longer, since it was still in it's infancy but Yep hooked me too ...

I don't fret it.

After three years retired, I am now cutting back on online time in favor of local outdoor activities.

Meabh, thanks for the test link. I definitely get itchy w/o my fix but "only" scored 31, though I can easily spend many hours of the day online.

[They need to fix the test to get rid of either "frequently" or "often". To me, those mean the same thing.]

45 for me........

Wonder what CFB would score??

You are an average on-line user. You may surf the Web a bit too long at times, but you have control over your usage.
That sounds a bit like the smokers or drinkers that say 'yeah, I could quit anytime'.

Hmmm, maybe I *do* have a problem?

I think the saving grace was not preferring on-line to real face-time. But to be honest, it's not always easy to find a group of friends that have the same specific interests that you can find on-line, so on-line 'supplements' face-time for me. Like-wise, on-line can't really replace face time with good friends either.

And none of the people on-line offer to fill up my glass, or pass me another helping of dessert (or compliment me on my choice of beverage or dessert that I am offering) :(.

-ERD50

47...i'm normal!!!! woo hooo

gotta go blog about it, them i.m. my friends, then email everyone, then p;ost it on another forum

wooo hooo

normalcy has never been so great

So did you get married fed? Or is this a Leonardo type of marriage?

Yes, the internet is addictive. Get off your rear and play with your son. ;)

not married yet...just what i call here "the wife" because she essentially is .

funny thing about playing with my son...

she has said that she thinks i am on the computer too much and should play with him more. What she forgets is that i make a normal salary in 1/4 the time a normal person might work...so i have LOTS of free time...thus, my son sees me much much more than a child whose parent works 9-5...no doubt. go figure.

If you took the same test and put replaced television or wii, others would score high. If this was the 1920s and you replaced Internet with Radio, you could probably sell some counselling.

23 for me.

But I think that I'm in a bit worse shape than that. I have the urge to stay on line a lot longer than I do. I'm just trying to control myself. As we all know, there are so many opportunities on the Internet to learn and earn. It's hard to pass them up.

Saying you're on the internet too much here? Isn't that like telling the bar tender 'I drink too much'?

20 for me.
I want to cut down. I wasted years with television, now I feel the Internet replacing it.
If I ever get totally disabled where the only thing I can do is click a mouse, then I can justify spending hours with this tool.
The instant lookup of just about anything is pretty cool, though. Now if I could just walk away once I've looked it up.

29 for me.

But it's not always a bad thing. The gas dryer started acting up about 8 months ago. Although eons ago I was a heating & refrigeration service technician I don't know squat about gas dryers. Looking up the symptoms, in 20-30 minutes I had a possible diagnosis, confirmed with an electrical resistance check on one of the gas valves. $20 for the part and it's fixed. Total time invested about two hours, one just to go get the part.

The Internet has many uses, one of which seems to be turning into the world's greatest library. It's really straight out of the science fiction stories I read in high school.

Back
Top Bottom