Join Early Retirement Today

I just got done modifying my son's PowerWheels
Old 05-03-2008, 06:42 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just got done modifying my son's PowerWheels

I got an old silverado PW from a family member with no battery. So I got 2 new batteries and kicked it up to 18v (50% more speed).

Then I painted some racing stripes on the truck, removed some decals, blacked out the rims, and re-painted everything

i'm waiting on my remote kill switch to come by mail (just like a keyfob...but it kills the engine and engages the brakes if need be)

This was his first time ever in PW. I THINK 18v is too much...so I'm going to take it down a notch to 6v and work with him there. The 18v setup has so much torque that he just spin the tires...even in the grass! He about freaked when he did an accidental 360 degree burnout....it's soo awesome. Took my little buddy a bit to warm up to all that horsepower...but now he loves it...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
I got an old silverado PW from a family member with no battery. So I got 2 new batteries and kicked it up to 18v (50% more speed).

Then I painted some racing stripes on the truck, removed some decals, blacked out the rims, and re-painted everything

i'm waiting on my remote kill switch to come by mail (just like a keyfob...but it kills the engine and engages the brakes if need be)

This was his first time ever in PW. I THINK 18v is too much...so I'm going to take it down a notch to 6v and work with him there. The 18v setup has so much torque that he just spin the tires...even in the grass! He about freaked when he did an accidental 360 degree burnout....it's soo awesome. Took my little buddy a bit to warm up to all that horsepower...but now he loves it...
Ok now from the physical ed guy here. Make sure he uses a bike and a tricycle to build up some muscles!! I see so many SOFT boys these days even in the late elementary grade levels. Yes they have been sitting in front of TVs video games and computers and not doing enough physical activity...... Off soap box now.....

I bet that TRUCK IS FANTASTIC!!! PICS

Old 05-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #3

oh yeah,he gets real exercise...no video games yet, tv down to about 2 hrs daily.

heres a shot of the truck...unfinished....still have decals to add, a few parts to paint etc....this was after he wrecked and the hood wont go down...but you get the idea...im thinking of switching from the two tone to straight black....but keeping the hood with the stripes....i also painted him some windows and a windshield

warning: the mohawk you are about to see was not authorized by dad. it was cute for 10 minutes last year...but the wife thinks it's going to be permanent this summer. not happening.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...5-02-08016.jpg
Old 05-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My sons hummer runs at 12v and will do 5mph even up a steep hill.

Thats plenty fast enough.

He drives it to the park and back, probably a full mile and sometimes we take it around the subdivision. Pretty amazing how long the battery lasts.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Nice job on the truck and your son is cute !
Old 05-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #6

cute n fuzzy : at somepoint he will outgrow the PW...at which point you can add 6v and watch the magic happen!

moemg: thanks!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, well he's already been thoroughly scoping out the gas dune buggy at costco and there is a gigantic four wheel drive park just a few miles from here...so I think he's going to go from electric straight to upside down and sideways at 40mph.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:32 PM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Great job on the Power Wheels Silverado. We have done a restoration on a 2000 Power Wheels Silverado for our 3-yr old grandson. We have repainted it and put the decals on, but cannot find the windshield decal anywhere online. Fisher Price no longer has them for any of the Silverados. Did you get a new windshield decal for your Silverado. If so, can you please tell me where. Thanks for your help.