I Need Bloodhound Help for Gov. Document RE:cash for clunkers

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know there are some Retirees here, who really like digging into things. And some not-retireds who are bored at work, and do likewise. :)

Here's the problem: I found the exact wording of the "cash for clunkers" bill, which is really called the "Consumer Assistance To Recycle And Save Program".

I found it at thomas.gov, a search for HR 2346, Title XIII. The last version listed there is the bill that passed both houses of Congress.

Within the bill there are rules concerning different vehicle types. Of interest to me is the "Category 1 truck". In the definitions area of the bill it says:
(2) the term 'category 1 truck' means a nonpassenger automobile, as defined in section 32901(a)(17) of title 49, United States Code, that has a combined fuel economy of at least 18 miles per gallon, except that such term does not include a category 2 truck;

So far, I can not find USC title 49 32901 with an (a)(17). I found at gpoaccess.gov a 2006 version, that only went to (a)(16). So (a)(17) must have been added after 2006.

I'm stumped where else to look. I tried to look it up in CFR (Code of Federal Regulations), but got lost there. And I don't know if it was ever published in the CFR.

I need to find the exact wording of 49 USC 32901(a)(17). A google search turns up all sorts of docs that call the document, but not the document itself. I'm stumped...

Thanks for trying, freebird :)

With all sorts of browser windows open, that are relaying from one fed site to another, I'm not sure how to track back to where I started...

But I found an update table that showed 49USC 32901 had an update, which was:

Amended by Public Law 110-140 sec. 103 121 stat. 1501

I found that Public Laws in the range of 110-140 were enacted by the first session of the 110 Congress, so Thomas.gov could find it in Public Laws.

They re-arranged item numbers while adding new info. So now a(17) reads:
'non-passenger automobile' means an automobile that is not a passenger automobile or a work truck"; and ()by adding at the end of the following:
(19) 'work truck' means a vehicle that -
"(A) is rated at between 8,500 and 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight; and etc.etc.

Then the previous definition of "passenger automobile", which was (16), was re-labeled as (18).

All I'm trying to do is to find out if a small SUV is considered a "category 1 truck', where cat 1 truck was further clarifed as a "non-passenger automobile".

So now it's back to understanding their definition of "non-passenger automobile".

Why am I doing all this? If the new 'category 1 truck' gets 5 or more Combined MPG greater than the old eligible vehicle's Combined MPG that is being turned in, then it's $4500 instead of $3500.

If a 'passenger automobile" is the new vehicle, then the new car has to get 10 Combined MPG or better than the old vehicle to get $4,500.

I'm busted! :LOL:
I have to stay out of the sun today due to a bad sunburn, so it's a full time surfing day. :whistle:
SPF50, a long-sleeved rash guard, and maybe a hat if you're confident that you won't be falling off the longboard...

Back
Top Bottom