I-Pad Mini: Retina Display or not?

Marita40

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm going to spring for an I-Pad Mini. This will be my first-ever Apple product. Amazing, huh?

Any opinions on whether the Retina Display Mini is worth the extra $100.00?

I noticed that there's a new Apple store at the local mall. I'll check them out there but I'll bet they'll try to up-sell at every point.

Yep - definitely!

Visually comparing at the store is a good idea - you'll see if it really matters to you. Looking at video and photos is the best way to see the difference/benefit.

Apple store employees aren't particularly aggressive.

Last edited:
I'd definitely spend the extra $100. Not only is the display better, but it'll be much more responsive due to the better processor. The iPad mini without retina is equivalent to an iPad 2 internally, which makes it much older than it seems.

One thing I have noticed is that with time, iPads run slower. This is mostly because the software is improving, but the hardware is the same. Getting a the retina version buys you more time. Plus, the display really is worth it.

I'd definitely spend the extra $100. Not only is the display better, but it'll be much more responsive due to the better processor. The iPad mini without retina is equivalent to an iPad 2 internally, which makes it much older than it seems.

This is a good point. Even if for some reason you can't see the difference between the two screens, you'll likely enjoy the speed of the retina version.

DH gave me an iPad mini shortly before the retina version came out. I gave him an iPad Air with retina in February. I just compared the two screens. His is a tiny bit sharper but the online newspaper we both read is in the same resolution as it is not "redrawn" by the iPads but rather is a pdf-ish file so the resolution doesn't change that I can see.

I don't notice any difference at all in the performance, speed, etc.

But I would still go for the latest, retina display version of the mini. And actually, although this is not your question, I would go for the full sized iPad Air. It is not much bigger dimensionwise than the mini (it would easily fit in the same handbag/tote, and weighs virtually the same), but it is so much easier to read from it.

Last edited:
But I would still go for the latest, retina display version of the mini. And actually, although this is not your question, I would go for the full sized iPad Air. It is not much bigger dimensionwise than the mini (it would easily fit in the same handbag/tote, and weighs virtually the same), but it is so much easier to read from it.

+1

Buying a non-retina iPad is 3 year old technology, and with the weight reduction on the iPad Air, the smaller size of the mini only makes it harder to read on without reducing weight by any significant amount.

Does the mini you are looking at have the older connector (not the newer 'Lightning')?

I'd go with the newer to reduce early obsolescence effect.

-ERD50

I have a regular-screened iPad Mini given to me as a gift a few months before the retina version came out. It doesn't make one bit of difference to me, and we watch movies on it on airlines, etc.

That said, if I had the option now, I'd buy the newest model or the Air, simply because this isn't a "big ticket" item and newest/latest probably lasts longest before obsolescence.

Something else to consider is that there is now an Android alternative to the Ipad Mini Retina, the more recently released Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. The price on it was dropped to $349 just this week. It has a higher resolution than even the Ipad Mini Retina (359 vs. 326 ppi), 5% larger screen area, better colors (supposedly), 2 GB instead of 1 GB internal memory, same weight, better cameras and you can place additional SD memory in a slot instead of paying Apple another hundred bucks for each 16 GB of additional disk memory.

On the other hand, the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 has a smaller battery (the most serious shortcoming) and is slightly ergonomically inferior.

This is a side by side comparison of the specs (not really a review, just a quick overview):

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 vs. iPad mini with Retina Display

And answering your original question, yes, I think the retina version is worth the extra. The original Ipad mini has a pathetic 163 ppi. This is not competitive in today's marketplace.

Ditto on the retina but not so sure on the size. I have a standard iPad and it is fine but I like the smaller footprint of the mini. I think it would be particularly helpful if you use it as a reader holding it in your lap for long periods. I have read reviewers who think it is the ideal size for most users.

I've had an iPad Mini for about a year and just love it. It does not have the Retina Display and I am perfectly happy with it. One of my sons has the iPad with Retina Display and side by side I can see the difference.

If you've got the extra $100, I'd get the mini with the Retina Display.

I prefer the size of the mini. I found the full size one got hard to hold in one hand after a while.

Let us know what you get and how you like it.

Regarding the size, think about how you are going to use it and if you have a chance, go to the store and try both out.

I've had 3 iPads so far: original iPad, iPad3 and now an iPad Air. I've always enjoyed the larger screen size, but with the only difference between the iPad mini retina and iPad Air being the screen size, I'm tempted to ditch the iPad Air and go for an iPad retina mini. I think the lighter weight/smaller profile might be worth it.

But in the end it's really a personal preference. Go with the one you think will work best for you.

I prefer the size of the mini. I found the full size one got hard to hold in one hand after a while.

I agree with this. Wife has a full-size, as does my mom. Dad and I have minis. Less about the weight than the fact that I can hold the mini in the palm of one hand easily.

Ditto on the retina but not so sure on the size. I have a standard iPad and it is fine but I like the smaller footprint of the mini. I think it would be particularly helpful if you use it as a reader holding it in your lap for long periods. I have read reviewers who think it is the ideal size for most users.

Yes, the most important factor, of course, is what will it be used for by the consumer. I said I would prefer the full sized ipad, but then I use a kindle with a light for the handful of digital books I read, not the mini. I do think the mini is a better size to plug into our car to listen to audiobooks, music, etc., and taking pictures. The bigger ipad is better for us to use for facetiming grandkids.

Great responses, all. I think I'm headed for the Mini with retina for many of the reasons cited above. Just need to make myself do it

Done. 5% off with the Target Redcard plus $50.00 Target gift certificate. Not a bad deal at all.

Late to the party, but I would have said the Retina Mini. For the chip and not the display. My son has been an Ipad user far longer than I. I have the older Mini, and I see nothing wrong with it. However, if I were going to buy one today it would be the Retina. As Apple upgrades it's operating system, eventually the older hardware gets slower and eventually becomes unusable. So buying the top of the line now will save you from having to buy another one is a year or so when the older version has a hard time with the new IOS.

Reading and posting this sitting on the couch with iPad mini with retina. Like it a lot.

I would have picked the iPad mini with retina display too. I have the iPad 1 without retina display and the iPad 3 with retina display, I think the difference is quite noticeable especially in the way text is rendered. Anyways, congrats on the purchase!

Reading and posting this sitting on the couch with iPad mini with retina. Like it a lot.

thumbup.gif
The screen is great. Light and easy to use with one hand. Nice choice.

Enjoying it so far! Loaded some apps and exploring other uses. I've used the Kindle and Cloud readers and they seem perfect. So far no complaints. I bought a nice Belkin cover with part of the Target gift card so am all set.

This is the first device I've owned that's small and light enough to be truly portable. In the past I've hauled around my Asus Transformer but it seems like a monster compared to the Mini!

I would not buy a 16 GB iPad or iPad mini. Considering all the apps available, you'll run out of space and Apple's devices do not have an SD slot to increase storage space. Apple factory refurbished iPad and iPad mini's are a good deal IMHO - same 1 year warranty as new and with a new outer shell and battery. At the Apple refurbished store, $419 will get you the original iPad mini with 64 GB or the retina iPad mini with 32 GB. If you want the retina mini, $20 more for double the storage space is a great deal.

To find the reburbished and clearance items, go to Apple.com, click the Store tab and find the link at the very bottom of the page.

I am reading this on my Nexus 7 while on vacation. Nice tablet for $229. Has worked out well for me.

Back
Top Bottom