Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Wow, thanks very much easysurfer. It even looks like software is free.
You're welcome travelover. Remotely computing sure beats having to make uneeded trips. Plus, it's just easier to fix stuff when you can see their desktop.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Update
Old 11-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Update

I got the off lease computer delivered today:

Works fine, Came loaded with XP Pro, 1 Gig RAM, 80- Gig hard drive and a new keyboard and mouse. For $140 inc. shipping, I'm very happy. I put a monitor on it and updated all the software so MIL can set about using it right away.

MIL wants to know if I can recover some stuff on her old hard drive, which of course was not backed up. Can one get a pigtail to allow an internal hard drive to be plugged into a USB port on a second computer?

Old 11-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
OMG, thanks REWahoo...I read it fast as if she was looking for a desk and not a desktop.

I can suggest this: A friend of mine purchased a number of computers for her, her kid, etc. at a pawn shop. She gets $1K computers for like $300 that way, and never seems to really have any problems with them either.
When I mentioned to the Bunny about the possibility of buying a Craigslist computer he convinced me that the risks of a computer with all sorts of poison on it that would have to be cleansed was not worth the small cost savings. You can get some mighty good laptops and desktops for less than $500 today.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
You mean like this?

Nice, huh?

-ERD50
Steam punk. Nice.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can get a usb case fairly cheap that you can put hard drive in. After backup you can then put a bigger hd in it for your use. I think they are less than $35 at Fry's.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I got the off lease computer delivered today:

Works fine, Came loaded with XP Pro, 1 Gig RAM, 80- Gig hard drive and a new keyboard and mouse. For $140 inc. shipping, I'm very happy. I put a monitor on it and updated all the software so MIL can set about using it right away.

MIL wants to know if I can recover some stuff on her old hard drive, which of course was not backed up. Can one get a pigtail to allow an internal hard drive to be plugged into a USB port on a second computer?

Since you mentioned that your MIL's old computer no longer powers up, if you are comfortable with opening up the case and removing the old hard drive you can get something like this:

Sabrent USB 2.0 to IDE Cable for 2.5-Inch / 3.5-Inch / 5.25-Inch Drive with Power Adapter at TigerDirect.com

which would treat her hard drive like an external hard drive and recover the data that way.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Since you mentioned that your MIL's old computer no longer powers up, if you are comfortable with opening up the case and removing the old hard drive you can get something like this:

Sabrent USB 2.0 to IDE Cable for 2.5-Inch / 3.5-Inch / 5.25-Inch Drive with Power Adapter at TigerDirect.com

which would treat her hard drive like an external hard drive and recover the data that way.
Excellent - that's exactly what I was thinking of. Shoulda bought it with the computer and I'd have saved the shipping fee.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

If you're not doing anything that is either CPU or 3-D graphics intensive, a nettop works great. It's cheap, about $300 or so (or you can build one for about $200 if you're PC literate), and usually tiny and unobtrusive. Plus, it uses next to no electricity compared to a traditional PC.

Take a look at a typical model at 'egg:

Newegg.com - ASUS Eee Box EBXB202-WHT-X0081 Intel Atom N270(1.60GHz) 1GB DDR2 160GB Intel GMA 950 Windows XP Home - Desktop PCs

Or search your favorite shopping site for 'nettop' or 'atom'
Old 11-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Excellent - that's exactly what I was thinking of. Shoulda bought it with the computer and I'd have saved the shipping fee.
I prefer something that has a case. You can mount the HD in it, and attach when you like.
3.5 external drive enclosure, 3.5 hard drive enclosure, 3.5 external hard drive enclosure, 3.5 inch drive enclosure at TigerDirect.com